IGNORED

Differences in Genesis Controllers?

CastleofIllusion

I have a couple of controllers for my genesis, 3 3 button ones and a 3rd party 6 button. On the 3 button controllers there is a noticeable difference in the dpad feel from controller to controller.

Two of them have a really stiff dpad, one has a more loose one with a bit of a longer throw to it. I could understand if these were 2 different iterations, but one of the stiff ones has the red letters, while the other is the all black one (as well as the one with the looser dpad).

Does anyone else notice these differences between some of their controller's?

The D-pads have different mechanisms in them. The stiffer ones push down directly on the PCB, while the one with more roll/throw to it is attached to a stem that goes through a hole in the PCB and attaches to another piece which presses up on the back of the PCB! These pads are far better in my opinion, this is the best way to make a D-pad and feels much better to play games with, my one is permanently plugged into my Amiga.

There are so many Genesis 3-button controller variations. Each of the following are variables:

D-pad stiff or loose

D-pad & buttons smooth plastic or coarse plastic

red markings or white markings

flat plug or plug with raised bump

length of controller cord

The oldest type I have seen which were owned by my mom's ex were D-pad stiff, smooth plastic d-pad & buttons, red markings, flat plug, and long cord.

My first one which I got a year later than him was D-pad stiff, coarse plastic d-pad & buttons, white markings, flat plug, and short cord.

The coarse plastic was always better IMO because your finger wouldn't slip on the D-Pad as much when playing games, especially making Ms. Pac-Man more playable.

My current favorite controller is like this: D-pad loose, coarse plastic d-pad & buttons, white markings, raised plug, and long cord. I am thinking these were later releases.

I still remember buying the system new in 1990. Altered Beast box. You were forced to buy the extra controller since Sega only included one. Come on, Atari put two in the box and so did Nintendo. Went through quite a few controllers playing Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Revenge of Shinobi, Streets of Rage and Super Hang-On.

Eventually the controllers seemed to get better or else I could not afford to keep replacing them. Old age and I am having a hard time trying to remember which it was :)

I remember my first Genny (sonic 1 pack-in) came with the red inked controllers.

I think the red ink helps give that controller a flair, matching the red trim of the console.

The Model 2 Genny had no red trim, so I assumed that's when they started going plain white.

That first controller only lasted 5 months and then the C Button became a crap shoot whether it would respond or not.

I replaced it with the 'Smart 16' Controller by HoneyBee I believe. It had turbo, slow-mo (useless) and a mushy D-Pad that makes games like MK or SF2 impossible... however the Start Button was centered so when I upgraded to the 6 Button pad I was accustomed to the button being there for other games.... I guess, not a great pad overall, but I love the turbo buttons and have never had one with better, yet, still searching...

Both those pads still work today too, unlike that original stock one... tsk tsk Sega, at least you made up for it with the 6 Button Pad.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple of controllers for my genesis, 3 3 button ones and a 3rd party 6 button. On the 3 button controllers there is a noticeable difference in the dpad feel from controller to controller.

Two of them have a really stiff dpad, one has a more loose one with a bit of a longer throw to it. I could understand if these were 2 different iterations, but one of the stiff ones has the red letters, while the other is the all black one (as well as the one with the looser dpad).

Does anyone else notice these differences between some of their controller's?

Here is a link that explains the variations. I prefer the early 3 button with the red, modded with the ball bearing D-pad.

http://segaretro.org/Control_Pad_%28Mega_Drive%29

• Like 2