IGNORED

Atariwin800 Problems

Tempest

I'm trying to test the latest build of Cypher using Atari800Win, but I can't get the emulator to work. I have the Atari 5200 Rom, but for some reason when I try to set it up it says there was an intialization error. Do you need all the various OS roms to make this thing work or do I have it set up wrong?

Tempest

Check the path and ROM name in the ROM image dialog to make sure your ROM image is actually in that path and with that name. When I renamed my ROM image from what was in the settings I got the same error.

[ 03-01-2002: Message edited by: DEBRO ]

IMO, Atari800 Win is crap (at least for programming). It would change which ROM I had inserted, sometimes it would revert to screen modes, etc. Forget trying to reload a ROM.

Use VSS or Atari800 DOS instead. With both of these emulators you can access special debugging functions by pressing F8.

calamari

[ 03-01-2002: Message edited by: calamari ]

Ok I got it working. I finally found and downloaded a rom pack for it and all the files worked. Now I need to figure out how to make it load my game image instead of the XL/XE self test screen.

Well, I put it on 5200 mode and it crashed. At the 5200 start-up screen. I know my game worked at least that far. I wonder what I did wrong.

Tempest

[ 03-01-2002: Message edited by: Tempest ]

conc. Atari 800win 3.0 Plus Beta comments...

nope... i have to admit that i use this emulator for debugging / coding atari 8bit stuff (can't tell u anything about the 5200 compability but i believe strongly that it is 99,9%)

i used in the past dos version of Xlit 0.2.0 for Dev but it lacks because of 320k support, Stereo Pokey music, HIP-support and many other usefull features...

my current dev config is:

editing source code in notepad/wordpad

saving with "CTRL S" the source

switching with TAB to the DOS console where i type "ASM code" and my batchfile assembles the whole bunch of code and turns it automaticly into a ATR file with a bootloader on it (XASM, XBOOT).

after that switching to Atari800win and pressing CTRL B (Insert Autoboot Image)... after testing I press ALT + 0 to unlock the ATR image when getting back to assembling...

F8 is getting you into the debugger with excellent features for Atari debugging...

i guess that this could help as well for 5200... you have to make sure that your Atari800win is configered correct for developing:

i set the "H:" drives to my source code path on my PC harddrive (ALT H). under "Atari" you find the OPTIONS dialog where i have enabled the "H:", "P:" and "R:" patch. why?

with the "H:" patch i can load/save directly from pc harddisk but without having a special DOS loaded, f.e. Mydos, which is capable to handle harddisks.

"P:"patch is very usefull when printing source codes or anything from Atari in emulation to PC. when configured right my notepad opens with the printed text. so the output to the printer is redirected into notepad on windows.

so... i can not see why atari800win is not suitable for developing. all my atari colleges use this emulator for developing software on atari... but again i can not tell you about the 5200 emulation...

oh i forgot that under "Atari" you have SETTINGS, too... here i have enabled f.e. disable basic before booting because otherwise you had to press "F2" everytime you boot (like "OPTION" on a real machine)...

keep on coding...i still believe that it is NOT Atari 800win...

Thanks for the input on the Atari800win emulator, Heaven/TQU.

I wasn't aware of some of its features, I suppose. I still like VSS, especially since Dan Boris released his Debug version of it, but I must always go back to Atari800Win when testing the 3-color 2-sprite tricks.

Each has its own strengths.