IGNORED

Anyone have a good way to take mildew smell out of game boxes?

mjarnold7

Charcoal briquettes will absorb odor, but I have never tried it with games. If you decide to, I would place it in a sealed container with a bunch of charcoal briquettes for 3+ days. You could also try placing it in a container with dryer sheets. I have had carts and overlays that smelled bad of cigarette smoke, but those are easier since you can use water/scrubbing to clean all but the sticker on the cart.

You could also try a small glass of White Vinegar.

Place a small glass of White Vinegar in a sealed container with your stuff, for about 24 hours.

Make sure to place the sealed container in a safe place, so it's unlikely to get knocked over, kicked, or tripped over;

because I don't think that direct contact with White Vinegar is good for paper or cardboard.

About 1/4 of a cup (8 oz) of white vinegar should do the trick.

Just make sure the small glass you put it in, has at least an inch (2.5 cm) of sidewall, above the surface of the white vinegar, to prevent spillage from accidental slight bumps.

Edited by SeymorOnion

Thanks for the advice guys. All these seem like very good ideas. I will definitely try them out.

In my case, I let items that smell of smoke and mould air before storing them. I let them air at the entrance of my home (it is a small separate room) so it is a closed place that has a new gasp of fresh air each time the door is opened.

My wife and I call this the "decompression chamber". I leave smelly items there for days (sometimes a couple of weeks!) until the smell disappears.

Cheers!