IGNORED

X-Men - Children of the Atom (PS)

Hi there!

This is a hard as nails game that's keeping me busy for over two months now already :ponder:

I think it took me almost 4 weeks of daily practise to beat the game the first time with Storm, then I needed a week each for mastering it with Iceman, Cyclops and Colossus. Currently I'm in the third week already playing with Wolverine...

Mind you, all played on "default" difficulty with manual blocking so far. I think Wolverine might be a turning point now: I set up a deadline until Sunday - Should I not be able to beat Magneto over the weekend, I decided to give in and turn down the difficulty a notch :o

Last time I had to do something that desperate for my Capcom run was when I upped the # of starting lifes (5 -> 7 IIRC) in order to 1CC SonSon Arcade...

Greetings,

Manuel

I haven't played this game since the Sega Saturn days - I rented it. Wasn't it the start of all the great Capcom/Marvel 2D fighters? Anyway, I've been turning down the difficulty notches on games for years. No shame!

all played on "default" difficulty with manual blocking so far

So, the game has an "Auto-blocking" feature? I can't remember. Regardless, that's no way to play -keep on "manual blocking" !

I haven't played this game since the Sega Saturn days - I rented it. Wasn't it the start of all the great Capcom/Marvel 2D fighters? Anyway, I've been turning down the difficulty notches on games for years. No shame!

Yeah, it was the first one-on-one fighter Capcom did featuring Marvel chars :D

So, the game has an "Auto-blocking" feature? I can't remember. Regardless, that's no way to play -keep on "manual blocking" !

I don't know if that's a specialty of the Playstation version, but I also thought that it's quite lame to play with that activated. It's a quite prominent option though, you have to choose between 'automatic' and 'manual' before every single fight.

It was great, but I haven't played it since I got the X-Men Vs Street Fighter port imported on my SS. Who plays these things on PS? Get a Saturn! Far better home ports on the Sega for Capcom fighters. I still break out Alpha and Darkstalkers for a quick round.
The PS actually had pretty good/comparable to the Saturn version ports of CotA and Marvel Superheroes (likewise Street Fighter Alpha 3). It was the VS series that sorta blew on the PlayStation.

I actually considered buying a Saturn, but all (5 or 6) Capcom games that made it to Europe are available on the Playstation as well, so I thought it wasn't worth it. CotA in particular had neither version ported by Capcom themselves, so it doesn't really matter I thought. I must say it looks quite lazy though, e.g. it seems they basically filmed the intro and the ending from the Arcade, as on my HD they show significantly lower quality (compression artifacts) as the actual game...

I have better versions of most of the other games you guys mentioned though: MvC Origins and Darkstalkers Resurrection on XBLA and Street Fighter Alpha Anthology for the PS2 :)

I played this one again out of curiosity, and man is it ever rough around the edges. It feels so hollow next to the other games in the series, with a small set of characters and a limited number of attacks for each. Having a computer opponent that blocks nearly everything and super moves that don't seem all that interested in activating when you need them don't help matters much.

What? No way!

I should try it on a slim. I could have sworn it didn't work....maybe its the PS3 then?

Hm... I'm playing the PAL version on a PAL console, that might make a difference. I didn't try it on the PS3 yet, since I don't have a Fightpad for it.

On a sidenote I just beat the game with Psylocke. Compared to Wolverine that was a cakewalk. I think from the 6 "good" characters she's the best by a mile - at least in solo Arcade mode :)

Next I'll play with Omega Red, I hope he's as fun to play as it looks.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my, I'm not getting anywhere with Omega Red. I'm playing with him for two weeks now and often enough I don't even make it to the Juggernaut - I only saw Magneto once so far :-o

I guess I'm too weak a player to figure out how all of his strange moves operate properly :ponder:

Oh my, I'm not getting anywhere with Omega Red. I'm playing with him for two weeks now and often enough I don't even make it to the Juggernaut - I only saw Magneto once so far :-o

I guess I'm too weak a player to figure out how all of his strange moves operate properly :ponder:

I forgot, is there a practice mode in this game where you can practice your combos and moves against a dummy opponent? If there is, I would spend time with that. I remember Omega Red being kind of weird with how he attacks, so you will want to practice a bunch of different kind of strings to see what connects well. Then you can take what you learn there into the arcade mode. If the game doesn't have a practice mode, then sort of simulate the same thing by hooking up a second controller and beating up on an absent player 2 repeatedly.

That game is by far the hardest Capcom fighter I ever bought. Sill love it, but geez. I like the Saturn version a little better though. I just hate that Ice Man is so weak in this game.

I agree regarding Iceman, but I still managed to beat arcade mode with him by spaming avalanches :D

I forgot, is there a practice mode in this game where you can practice your combos and moves against a dummy opponent? If there is, I would spend time with that. I remember Omega Red being kind of weird with how he attacks, so you will want to practice a bunch of different kind of strings to see what connects well. Then you can take what you learn there into the arcade mode. If the game doesn't have a practice mode, then sort of simulate the same thing by hooking up a second controller and beating up on an absent player 2 repeatedly.

I'll give this a try, although I'm generally not much of a 'combo' player ;)

Try to be--it will make your life much easier. These games were designed with combos in mind. :)

I know that, but I kinda prefer having a good game with an intuitive playstyle rather than working on / memorizing combos. Yet if I figure something out, like some infinite or near infinite moves to finish the AI, I'll exploit that without regret :lolblue:

I know that, but I kinda prefer having a good game with an intuitive playstyle rather than working on / memorizing combos. Yet if I figure something out, like some infinite or near infinite moves to finish the AI, I'll exploit that without regret :lolblue:

You don't really have to memorize anything--not in the sense you would, say, the dial-a-combos in Mortal Kombat 3. I suppose what I am saying is, at least learn a couple of "one-two" or "one-two-three" strings. Or a launcher (propels the enemy into the air), then follow it up with a strong hit. You don't have to be godlike about it, just a little something to get you along a bit easier. :P

You don't really have to memorize anything--not in the sense you would, say, the dial-a-combos in Mortal Kombat 3. I suppose what I am saying is, at least learn a couple of "one-two" or "one-two-three" strings. Or a launcher (propels the enemy into the air), then follow it up with a strong hit. You don't have to be godlike about it, just a little something to get you along a bit easier. :P

That's kinda what I meant as well. Usually those kind of things magically just come on their own if I play the same character over and over for a while. I actually know some of those moves that work with Omega Red, albeit so far it doesn't help much. About the only really usable moves he seems to have are Strong Punch, Strong Kick, his Throws and the Omega Destroyer, all his coil moves just feel either 'unreliable' or 'complicated'.

But well, last night I saw Magneto for the second time, so there's still hope :)

I kinda wish I had this game. If I did, I'd load it up and mess around a bit to see if I could provide some tips. Alas, I don't. :(

That would be cool, indeed - but it's no problem certainly. I sometimes think I should have a personal trainer for fighting games :lol: