IGNORED

Nintendo Shutting Down Wii Online Services

Mendon

I wonder what kind of uproar Nintendo would cause if it closed its Netflix channel down on the Wii? Isn't that what 90% of Wii owners use the console for?

I rarely, if ever, use Netflix on the Wii as I have too many other devices for watching movies AND in HD. Right now, I use the Wii for playing Kirby Dream Collection, Pandora's Tower, and Pikmin 2 (getting ready for the release of Pikmin 3).

It's sort of sad to see the Wii being shut down by Nintendo but totally understandable.

I imagine Netflix is safe until they update their protocols and such someday and break compatibility. I bet even if Nintendo shut everything down today that it would still work since I highly doubt that anything is routed through Nintendo.

Just your ability to acquire or retrieve the app would be curtailed.

Since the Wii U is backwards compatible with the Wii then wouldn't the necessary online features also be backwards compatible until they make a Wii U that isn't backwards compatible? My DSI and 3DS can both download DSI Ware.

Wii U's Wii compatibility is an entirely separate mode. The servers and online infrastructure could very well be entirely separate.

It would seem to help its chances of remaining online longer than it otherwise would've since more people will be utilizing it than there would be if it wasn't. But they can still take down the online functions of it. And frankly 99% of the Wii experience would be unharmed if they did.

There's probably less than 5 Wii games with any sort of an online community these days so there's only the ability to purchase and retrieve WiiWare and Virtual Console purchases that would be affected and the ability to acquire the video streaming apps. Go try and log into Xbox Live with an original Xbox game on the Xbox 360. And that utilized the exact same infrastructure as Xbox 360's Xbox Live which apparently is why it ended up being killed since that compatibility was placing limitations on its younger brother's online network and they had to take it offline to grow the service.

I can't imagine the Wii Shop being in any sort of risk anytime soon.

Edited by Atariboy

I was pleasantly surprised a few weeks back to load up Excitebots and not only find that the server was running, but there were people there playing. It looks like they decided to stop updating the Nintendo Channel videos right before the whole slew of E3 videos came out. Hmmm, I wonder who might be the most likely audience to buy a Wii U? Apparently not Wii owners. Oh well.

I like Netflix on Wii over my 360 since it's FREE. Frickin' ridiculous that people need a Gold Subscription to use a service they already pay for. :mad:

AND what is more stupid is people still buy 360's and ones.. and bitch about the nintendo is for kids..

the homebrew channel is one of the greatest things ever..

and ya know what?? The wii u gamepad is THE best console interface/controller made to date.

Just think about it before you disagree no one comes close.. Yeah it has a shortfall of can only waste half your day in front of the tv at one battery charge but hey should not you cut the grass feed your kids go shopping rotate your tires workout build the deck blah blah blah..blah blah blah. you get it.. mom said leave the basement the sun is shining.. This just in!! your balls have dropped!!!

Edited by Jinks

I like Netflix on Wii over my 360 since it's FREE. Frickin' ridiculous that people need a Gold Subscription to use a service they already pay for. icon_angry.gif

That's screwed up. That's like having to pay a toll to cross your own bridge to the internet. Are you sure the 360 is yours and not Microsoft's?

I'm surprised that they haven't done something like that with Windows yet. You buy a Windows PC, take it home, turn it on, hook it up to the internet, click on Internet Explorer just to stay on long enough to get Firefox then delete Internet Explorer but you run into a problem. An EULA pops up with pages of nonsense that you skip over and click the agree check mark. Then there is a pop up that says that you have to enter in your credit card information for your Gold Subscription that allows you to get online with Internet Explorer. You cave in and pay for it. You get online and find Firefox. You download it and it works. You don't want to keep Internet Explorer because you don't like paying for a subscription and can just use Firefox for free. So, you cancel your subscription. Soon after you realize that none of your programs including Firefox will execute. The only one that will is Internet Explorer which will ask you again for your credit card information.icon_smile.gif

• Like 1

I still play Mario Kart online with friends (you have to limit who you play with because if all the cheaters) and would hope that they leave everything in place until the new one comes out at least.

I still play Mario Kart online with friends (you have to limit who you play with because if all the cheaters) and would hope that they leave everything in place until the new one comes out at least.

never understood cheating in games. it nulls thier whole experience.

Nintendo must have deleted mine because the last time I booted the system up, there was no Weather Channel, News Channel, or Everybody Votes Channel icons on the main menu.

The only channel icon remaining that didn't work and that *I* had to physically delete was the Nintendo Channel. I did so by going into Settings - Data Management - Channels - System (not SD card) and deleted it.

Nintendo must have deleted mine because the last time I booted the system up, there was no Weather Channel, News Channel, or Everybody Votes Channel icons on the main menu.

The only channel icon remaining that didn't work and that *I* had to physically delete was the Nintendo Channel. I did so by going into Settings - Data Management - Channels - System (not SD card) and deleted it.

The DLC channels I can delete just like before, it's the preinstalled ones that I'd like to get rid of - they're not listed in the menu you mentioned. I had them moved to the 4th menu page once I figured how to move channels around, but they're still sitting there, non-functional.

I like Netflix on Wii over my 360 since it's FREE. Frickin' ridiculous that people need a Gold Subscription to use a service they already pay for. :mad:

My TV's and Blu-ray players have apps built in.

I won't pay for Gold to use any of these services.

I haven't paid for Gold since 1 vs 100 was still going.

The DLC channels I can delete just like before, it's the preinstalled ones that I'd like to get rid of - they're not listed in the menu you mentioned.

Yeah, you actually can't delete them. At least not without hacking. It's pretty lame that they can disable the channels, but they don't give us a way to actually delete the useless channels from our menu.

So it appears the stuff that Nintendo will shut down is minor. But it makes me wonder if the Virtual Console and WiiWare will ever suffer the same fate. Right now it's not a problem because all VC and WiiWare games can be migrated to the Wii U, but will the day ever come where such games as Mega Man 9 or La-Mulana will fall into permanent oblivion?

Nope, those games have already been backed up and uploaded on Pirate Bay since 2012. With a modded Wii those games will never die.

EDIT: PS, once online support goes away, what good is a Wii that isn't at least soft modded anyway?

Edited by TheGameCollector

PS, once online support goes away, what good is a Wii that isn't at least soft modded anyway?

A offlline Wii still has 90% of its functionality. The heart and soul of the Wii was retail gaming in single and local multiplayer and that won't diminish in the slightest when the Wii Shop goes away someday.

• Like 1