IGNORED

TT and SSD

slx

Sorry if this has already been discussed but the search function didn't show any results for SSD.

I was thinking about upgrading my TT with an SSD but can't find one with SCSI connector. Is there an easy way to adapt from the connectors available inside the TT to a 'normal' SSD? Anyone done this already.

I have a mega ST as well but as it already has an old IDE/TOS 2.06 adapter board I assume it will be simpler as I'll only need a 50-pin/power to 40-pin adapter.

SSD? You mean solid state drive? Don't bother with the popular SATA drives used in most computers these days as it is overkill for the TT. Best if you just use an SD card drive. I suggest the Suska Gigadrive with internal SCSI adapter. These were designed for ST/TT but could be used on other SCSI computer interfaces.

SSD on TT would be expensive overkill . You need SSD, what self is not cheap, then need some SATA-SCSI converter, what I don't know even is exists on market. If yes, price is very high for sure. And what would be benefit of that ? Only faster access times, because no mechanic. Transfer speed will be low, because it is 24 years old TT.

You can get almost same with UltraSatan - fast access times and good speed - on TT's ACSI port. Not to mention that SD cards are cheap and available at every corner.

P.S. there are no SSDs with 40 pin IDE (PATA) on market, as I know. And even, if yes, you can not use it with TT .

"I'll only need a 50-pin/power to 40-pin adapter." - wrong idea, 40 pin is IDE, 50 pin is SCSI . Not possible without converter device - SCSI-IDE converter, what is not cheap.

Edited by ParanoidLittleMan

I only provide the info, its up to whoever reads it to source out the parts, be it ebay or some dealer. Most of the stuff on that page is end of life (obsolete) and prices mean nothing, especially on ebay. I've seen those Microtech units go as high as 400 USD. The ones that are still available have links to the dealers where you should be able to determine the price. It basically comes down to the individual and how much they are willing to pay.

Edited by lp060

"I'll only need a 50-pin/power to 40-pin adapter." - wrong idea, 40 pin is IDE, 50 pin is SCSI . Not possible without converter device - SCSI-IDE converter, what is not cheap.

Sorry but I wasn't too clear on that. My Mega ST has a 1990s internal alternate ROM/IDE interface board which (as far as I recall) has a "normal" IDE interface as used for 3,5" PATA drives (and one such aging 80MB drive installed). I suppose I should be able to hook up a PATA IDE (such as http://geizhals.at/?cat=hdssd&xf=2646_IDE%7E251_Module#xf_top) using a normal 3,5" to 2,5" adapter.

I have myself Transcend IDE Flash modul - and it works with Ataris.

Don't see why you want 3.5 to 2.5 adapter, when can get IDE Flash with 40 pin connector ..

You're right. I thought 3,5"IDE drives had 50-pin and 40-pin was just for 2,5" drives. I thought all those IDE SSDs have 2,5"-type connectors combining data and power (like in notebooks).

Does your Transcend drive need an extra power connector or does it run off whatever voltage is on the IDE bus?

Edited by slx

In case of 40-pin IDE pin 20 is used as 5V lead - but likely your old IDE adapter has no 5V there. Then you can simply use usual molex power connector.

By me Transcend works without extra power conn., because I added 5V on pin 20 of self made IDE adapter.

Or maybe, if it is accessible, you can self solder 5V on IDE 20 - if there is such at all - often it is cut off, as key-pin.