IGNORED

I need help, blank black screen

I recently joined the Intellivision club with a console and 15 common cartriges. The problem is when I power it up with any game I get a blank black screen. I cleaned the games and cartrige slot with no better results. I peeled it open already to look for any obvious issues, like burnt/damaged components, corrosion, bad solder joints, etc. Are there any common fixes for this or is there service manual scans for it online somewhere? Any help is apreciated.

Since you are new to intellivision here is the first thing to try. Inty games dont work pushed all the way in on half the systems. Thats why the carts have an insert to here line on them. Fiddle around with the carts pulling them out a little at a time and keep testing for a sweet spot. Try that first

• Like 3

Since you are new to intellivision here is the first thing to try. Inty games dont work pushed all the way in on half the systems. Thats why the carts have an insert to here line on them. Fiddle around with the carts pulling them out a little at a time and keep testing for a sweet spot. Try that first

Thanks I'll give it a try.

just my 2 cents, but I have always had way better luck with standard Mattel cartridges. Imagic, Activision, and even though later white and black labeled Intellivision Inc games cause me more trouble and require more wiggling. After you have exhausted all wiggling and angling efforts, it could be a bad capacitor (transistor?). There was a thread recently regarding a similar issue that was remedied by removing and replacing a part on the mobo, but it requires soldering (and a cheap part). All that being said, pimpmaul is our resident expert troubleshooter, so try his ideas first :-) Good luck,

Another thing to try would be to remove, dismantle and clean the on-off switch as this has worked for me a couple of times in the past. The contacts can get dirty and stop current getting through so use some alcohol and clean it all up. It is a bit fiddly so take care and I recall watching a decent you tube video that was helpful.

So I take it pressing reset gives a flash, then black screen again?

Get yourself some DeoxIT and clean the cartridge port and power switch, and the reset button (tricky to do, you have to spray the switch through the hole in the logic board shielding).

If you still get a black screen, then next thing to try is getting a digital multimeter, and checking the power supply voltages and the continuity of the fragile ribbon cable (be super careful with it!). Plus check the power supply board for cracked solder, especially around the 2 pins. Missing voltages can cause the console to black screen.

Failing that, the next step is busting out the soldering iron and desoldering tool, cracking open the logic board sarcophagus, and cleaning/reseating all the socketed chips with DeoxIT.

- James

So I take it pressing reset gives a flash, then black screen again?

Get yourself some DeoxIT and clean the cartridge port and power switch, and the reset button (tricky to do, you have to spray the switch through the hole in the logic board shielding).

If you still get a black screen, then next thing to try is getting a digital multimeter, and checking the power supply voltages and the continuity of the fragile ribbon cable (be super careful with it!). Plus check the power supply board for cracked solder, especially around the 2 pins. Missing voltages can cause the console to black screen.

Failing that, the next step is busting out the soldering iron and desoldering tool, cracking open the logic board sarcophagus, and cleaning/reseating all the socketed chips with DeoxIT.

- James

yeah i totally forgot to mention that it is common to have to press reset after powering on to get the game to start

I already tried the reset button, but I haven't had a chance to mess with it since you guys gave me some good suggestions. I have some spare time right now though, so wish me luck. Also I did pull the sheilding off from the big board and yes it was a pain. As for the ribbon cable, how hard is it to find a replacement if that is bad?

Edited by Fixitguy74

Funny you should mention that, it's exactly what I did. I ditched the original ribbon entirely in my console, because it had completely disintegrated. I used 5 pin 2.54mm pitch PCB header and plugs (one angled 90 degrees, one straight), and built a new 5 pin ribbon cable out of an old IDE hard drive cable by adding connectors to it. I had to remove a small piece of the shielding to make room for the header but it fits perfectly. For connectors, search eBay for "KF2510-5P".

But it's easy to check that cable for continuity, it might not be your issue.

- J

Edited by HunterZero