IGNORED

Song Game

I consider Freestyle, America's answer to Disco in a similar way that Italo Disco is Europe's interpretation of the same: high-tech, electronic, melody-driven, pure studio productions.

Come Get My Love - TKA

• Like 1

I'm very eclectic in my music tastes. I do have a soft spot in my heart for Italo Disco because it was the music I used to DJ in high school. Growing up in Puerto Rico, most of the popular music available was either American Pop and Rock, or Latin Salsa and Merengue. Then a couple of eccentric brothers from Spain opened up a bizarre clothing store in the tourist district, where they imported the latest weird styles from Milan. Weird shit, I tell you, but cool in a sort of way.

Well, it happens that one of the brothers used to be a DJ in a popular club in Ibiza, Spain (which, by the way, is what he called his store), and every summer he imported not only fashion wares but the hottest club maxi singles from Spain, Italy, and Germany. Just a few copies of each, nothing major, but enough for the local DJs to get a taste of the other side of the world.

Imagine it, growing up with Latin or American music, this was like NOTHING we've ever heard before. Suddenly, the local club scene filled up with "la música de Ibiza" (the music from Ibiza), as we called it.

Still, it was a very small niche, and relegated to the tourist areas of the city; the locals still very much preferred their American and Latin fare. I, on the other hand, fell in love with the energy of the danceable melodies and the charming broken English of the singers--these songs were designed for dance clubs.

To this day, listening to Italo Disco brings me back to my youth in a very special way that not many other memories do.

However, on regular days, my iPhone playlist has many varied things: from The Beach Boys to Rammstein, from Abba to Orbital, from old-school Rap to new-wave Punk, from Reggae to Reggaeton. There's some Wendy Carlos in there, a bunch of Leonard Cohen, and a bit of Mozart; all mixed in with a solid measure of Drum n' Bass and Industrial Techno. :)

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

Great story dZ, My playlists consist of Portishead to Slipknot and Tool to Fiona Apple. Throw in some 80's, Brostep, Vintage soul, Heavy rock and lots of metal, mix it with female solo artists like Morgan James and some haunting and hypnotic electronic and acid jazz with a heavy layer of industrial and you get my recipe for happiness in music. (This is by no means an exhaustive list, my rule of thumb is this...If I like it I listen to it regardless of what label is put on it)

Your turn crew :)

• Like 1

Beware the Circling Fin - Early Man

The Man Machine - Kraftwerk

(Incidentally, Autobahn just popped up in my shuffled playlist right now--preceded by Madonna's Into The Groove, and to be followed by Duncan Dhú's La Herida, talk about eclectic! I love Autobahn; that's 22 minutes of experimental sounds reminiscent of cross-country road trips, complete with pretty scenery and singing robots! I think I'll go for a drive today. :) )

Edited by DZ-Jay

Well for me its anything from Symphony, classic music to trash metal.. Put it this way as long as its a bunch/single people with instrument's/singing creating music its all good.. :) as Hyperboy put it - If I like it I listen to it regardless of what label is put on it :)

• Like 1