IGNORED

Strange question/help

Hello,

I recently got an emulator for the Atari 2600 on my iPod touch and i wanted to attempt to create my own game.This will probably sound weird, far fetched or just like im crazy but i was wondering if anybody knew of a Compiler for Atari 2600 code on an iPod (IOS), i dont know much about the language of it yet as you might be able to tell, but even if i did have a compiler would it be possible to create a game or does it require a seperate program? Also maybe if someone here on the Forums is talented and could possibly (i doubt it) create or port some kind of compiler to IOS (Via Cydia probably no one wants to pay Apples AppStore fee)

Thanks for reading and i hope someone can help.

P.S. Im not sure if this is the right place to post my topic as the Atari 2600 forum categories are quite vague.

Edited by FalseApricot

There are no assemblers or compilers for the iPod that I'm aware of. I don't have any experience with iOS devices, but it seems to me that they are generally not geared towards productivity. Do you have a PC? There are many (free) tools for OS X, Windows, and Linux. Plus it would be much easier to use a computer than a tiny iPod to program on, even if the tools existed for it :)

Code generating or code inperpreting apps are forbidden by Apple on iOS. Welcome to 1984, the Apple way. :(

SvOlli,

I remember Apple having a fit over the C64 emulator being able to run code; it went back and forth for a bit but I think they eventually re-released a functional version after locking it down. Has anyone ever used a C64 Editor/Assembler to write Atari games like with the Apple?

Awesome presentations btw - I watched your sequel to The Ultimate Talk, fantastic! :)

Mr SQL,

I remember Apple having a fit over the C64 emulator being able to run code; it went back and forth for a bit but I think they eventually re-released a functional version after locking it down. Has anyone ever used a C64 Editor/Assembler to write Atari games like with the Apple?

All emulators are locked down, so that you can only run supplied code, not own code. On the C64 emulator you can't even type in a BASIC program to run. But that's what FalseApricot wants: to write own code on the device, which is forbidden by the Apple guidelines for releasing software in their AppStore.

Awesome presentations btw - I watched your sequel to The Ultimate Talk, fantastic! icon_smile.gif

Thanks! That's mainly because the seminar team at Revision 3.0 let me overrun. Originally, I only had 60 minutes.

Ok guys im not sure if your understanding this right, my iPod is jailbroken so i can install third party software. Theres a community of jailbroken users who use Cydia (which is a third party appstore although you dont have to pay to distribute things). Also the emulator im using is simply titled 2600.emu which apparently is a port of the stella emulator.

P.S. i love how AtariAge has a mobile version lol.

Edited by FalseApricot

Dasm is a 6502 assembler - http://dasm-dillon.sourceforge.net/ - which most people use for assembler development for the 2600, I think typing code on an iPod will be tedious, not sure what text editor you would use, etc.. If you're not experienced with assembler the 2600 probably isn't the best place to start. By all accounts batari basic is a good introduction to game development, I don't know of you can get it running under DOS or not though....

I don't think it will be very practical - but you could probably run dasm within dosbox/dospad http://www.litchie.com/?page_id=123

I had tried iDos when it was shortly available in the app store with some of my older VCS development stuff. The image below shows Stella 0.7 running in iDos on a non-jailbroken ipad 3.

It's not very fast and runs at about 5 frames per second. Just running a rom is already painful, and while you could probably write a small game with DASM, doing this on an iphone would be bordering masochism.

post-27536-0-12685900-1366564871_thumb.png