IGNORED

PEB Odd Observation

slinkeey

The TI-99/4A Appear to be budget for it's time compared to an XT PC. IT looks great, but it has a ton of plastic....

Well the TI-99/4A does have nice mechanical keyboard better thn today's keyboard.. The layout sucks, but the feel is nice..

Here is the big question.

Was the PEB designed by a different team? That thing appears to be built more like an IBM Midrange (System 36, 38, AS400) in how the cards go in.. It is not like a personal PC like an XT.. The cards have enclosures and there are clasps for them and etc.

The quality between the console and the PEB are day and night. Yes i realize that back then the metal cases actually had some substance in the metal, but the whole design seams to midrange like. It reminds me a little of hwhen you see inside an IBM system I or something along those lines.

• 1 month later...

Next thing.. Kind of not realted, but I figured it would fit right in here considering it is PEB related.

The Board in the PEB appears to just be a BUS. Anyways it is like hardware design is going full circle.

Geneve used that BUS and built a CPU card that plugged into it. (Sure they are not the first)

Now Facebook and etc are touting this *new* idea of having a bus board that you could plug any brand CPU into.

I am not saying that anything is wrong with this...

I just think it is silly how these clowns at Facebook and etc. get all excited thinking that they entering some new frontier or something.

Inside of Tursi's PEB:

newpeb1.jpg

The Group Hug microserver backplane:

open_compute_group_hug_board.jpg

Edited by slinkeey

My site has general rules that block most external links, yeah. It's not a big deal these days, but once upon a time it was costing a lot of bandwidth. :)

Just download the image and repost it in the post, if you like.

Yeah.... I know bandwidth was a problem and many people used to block linking.

I basically wanted to make sure you are OK with me downloading and re-posting the image.

FYI -- Google Chrome loads the image even though it is a link back..