IGNORED

Road Racer

1980gamer

Here is a quick little racing game.

Your car is controlled by the joystick. Up is Gas, Down is Brake.. Left and Right as you would guess...

I was trying for a 3d type game... Flying or racing.. This is the first attempt.

Want to try the smooth scroll with this. I did a scroll of the road lines only.

When you crash, you slow to a rolling speed. You have to speed up to turn the car.

The fast you go the faster you can move left or right.

What do you think?

Gene

ROAD-C.zip

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I've got quite a few car racing demos, not released, and potential games. This one caught my attention, for a nice little text effect, but especially the nice car graphics. One car uses 2 sprites, but appears to be 3 colors, using the transparent parts of the car as the third color (color of the road). Always a nice trick. Obviously you can only have 2 cars horizontally because of the 4 sprite hardware limit. The "opponents" therefore have to be kind of "stacked" (vertically), they can't pass each other, well they could, but at least not when on the same horizontal lines as the player. Again, lovely cars. The trees are not sprites, and are scrolled (jumpin') at 8 pixels, but, as seen in the smooth scrolling thread, this could be done more fluidly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAR2IGnnME4

The trees are not sprites, and are scrolled (jumpin') at 8 pixels, but, as seen in the smooth scrolling thread, this could be done more fluidly.

You sure they're not sprites? They seem to flicker whenever the tree and two cars are on the same line...

Sometines99er,

is that your demo? I like it! I like the night time driving, I used to love an arcade game.. either grand prix or lemans?

C=64 named it lemans, it is not on mame, but at night, you could only see on coming cars in your headlights.

Watching this demo.... Gray sprite headlights of a low priority would let us see the DARK color cars in the headlights!

Well, It would need to be tested, also the number of sprites per h-line again..

hmmm, what about smooth scrolling cars that are not sprites? what kind of "speed" could we get?

In my demo, the center line is scrolling, they are are moving through 7 chars in sequence based on speed,

but when you go to fast, they seem to slow down.. I know they are not, but the eye makes the brain think so!

They move down a single dot row, my speed up, was to move 2 dot rows, then 3..

but moving a single dot seems to fast already when compiled, I slow it with motor sounds..