IGNORED

Need some to install F18A Video Mod in my Adam

videofx

I would PM Yurkie to see if he would be willing to handle the installation of the F18A and mod the back of the Memory Console for the VGA and Audio connectors. The only problem is that it would be very expensive to send the entire ADAM system to him so that he could properly test the installation, so you may have to consider just sending the Memory Console if Yurkie is willing. He is not familiar with the ADAM, but thankfully he only would have to work on the ColecoVision board in the ADAM which is easy enough to get to... it's the ADAM Logic Board that requires considerably more disassembly to work on.

I can't think of anyone else locally that has the skill set to make this modification, but if you try it yourself, I have an extra Memory Console with a good ColecoVision board and a bad ADAM board if the worst were to happen.

Haven't heard anything as of yet regarding video output speed…

Does the F18A improve frame rate output at all, or increase real time sprite displays?

The F18A is not an accelerator for the Z80, it replaces the 9928/29 (in the case of the CV and ADAM). Since all the sprite processing (moving, pattern updates, etc) were handled by the host CPU, there is nothing the F18A could do to "speed up" existing software. The F18A can, however, display all 32 sprites on a single horizontal line, so you should notice a much reduced or no sprite flicker. Software that used sprite rotation to help reduce the flicker on the original 9928/29 might still cause sprites to be skipped for a frame or two, but again, there is nothing the F18A can do about that.

Now, for new software development, the F18A does include *many* enhancements. However, to date, I am not aware of any software or developer working on taking advantage of the enhancements.

Does the F18A only do 31 KHz VGA? It'd be really nice if it could output 15 KHz video too since I use a Sony PVM for most of my stuff.

The F18A produces a 640x480@60Hz standard VGA signal to drive modern computer CRT and LCD displays, which was the primary design goal. Producing a 15KHz RGB signal, as used in coin-op games and such, would be possible but is not something that was considered and would take a bit of rework in the design (and a larger FPGA since the one I used it maxed out at 98% utilization).

Also, feature-creep control was a big factor in getting the F18A done at all. There was a *lot* I cut from the design just to get it to a reasonable cost / size / complexity.

Isn't there a mod out there to convert the 9928/29 R-Y,B-Y,Y signal to RGB?

Edited by matthew180

• 9 months later...