IGNORED

TowerToppler/Nebulus A8 Thoughts...

One more from me ;) :

Can we say or not that the A8 version (Gfxs Mode/Artifacting taste apart) is scrolling/sprites on Towers well done and similar to the other 8bit versions?

This is because I was wondering if we change same Bitmap Mode GR.8->GR.15 and because they done it all in soft sprites it wouldn't be hard to then just have 4 + 5thPlayer PMGs overlays PRIOR0 to have all the moving guys nicely coloured.

What I am wondering is it would be just adding the PMGs routine or something more... Were the Towers rotation and the sprites moving done in Hi-Resolution steps and then the change into 2:1 ratio would end up in the need for their complete write from scratch like if an writing of a new game?

With some effort C64 games can be ran under an emulation layer using VBXE to translate graphics and render the sprites. Not a lunchtime project though.

A game like Nebulus might be an ideal candidate.

That sounds incredible, sort of VBXE-based C64 emulator? Theoretically, would there be a general solution possible (let's say to load C64's game-binary PRGs), or would it require individual approach for certain game?

Edited by Jacques

This is because I was wondering if we change same Bitmap Mode GR.8->GR.15 and because they done it all in soft sprites it wouldn't be hard to then just have 4 + 5thPlayer PMGs overlays PRIOR0 to have all the moving guys nicely coloured.

What I am wondering is it would be just adding the PMGs routine or something more... Were the Towers rotation and the sprites moving done in Hi-Resolution steps and then the change into 2:1 ratio would end up in the need for their complete write from scratch like if an writing of a new game?

José, I hacked the ROM to test your idea:

tower-mode-e-hack.bin

post-21021-0-89538100-1367475163_thumb.png

It was fairly trivial to modify the display list from mode F to mode E. Since the game looks like it was designed with NTSC artifacting in mind, the colors look OK in mode E. The graphics could be tweaked to make better use of mode E.

I put some extra code in empty slots of the character to set the colors and overlay a player to show the PRIOR0 mixing potential.

All that remains is to add proper player overlay graphics and DLI code to keep them situated over the desired objects. Granted, it's not a trivial task, but I think less effort than rewriting the game from scratch. It would also make sense to add some DLIs for coloring the water and the score line.

EDIT: Corrected ROM so it doesn't crash when pressing Reset.

Edited by Xuel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

If anyone here is good at playing this one, can you get how many enemys/moving maximum on screen can you have on the tower?

On C64 it seems 4 but I could only see 3 on A8. I can't get much because I've never been very good playing with the keyboard and now I only have Emulators and this game doesn't go well the Mouse.

If it isn't asking for too much, on the Underwater on C64 it seems that maximum on screen are 3fish. Is it also the same on A8?

Thanks.

Hi people.l

A little late but so many other 'Thoughts'...

Thanks Xuel.

I did a remake of the gfxs and also put some PGs over the Top Status Area Hi-Resolution.

On the Playing Area we have the normal 4colours GR.15 where:

-> PF0: Dark colour

-> PF1: always white for all Levels

-> PF2: Light colour

Then I use PRIOR0 but only Oring on our guy PM3 (because the other guys would be PM0->PM2 in the sequence they appear on screen so they aren't Ored) and his also PM3 because it would be useful to have it expanded width for the Submarine.

post-6517-0-32559200-1368437554_thumb.png

Then each Level Towers with each own colour and two luminances:

post-6517-0-87297400-1368437593_thumb.png

Our guy in Brown because better in the Oring but als best seen throw all the different Towers colours/luminances.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Because of that A8 remake that couldn't enter on the ABBUC Software Contest I remember to ressurect this one because I can't get to play the game with keys or the mouse via the emulators I would like your help in answering:

"How much maximum enemys/moving things can we have on screen and per line on the rotating towers levels?"

Thanks.