IGNORED

Christmas Carol in Revival

Where can i get issues? Also 8 out of 10? Wtf? You, carl, and joe/dave have broken the limitations of any original game released imo. Space patrol, d1k/d2k, and christmas carol get 10/10 in my book. Just sayin...

This. :thumbsup: Seriously, 10, not 8. :)

• Like 1

the snowman is scarey, is there a super easy hidden kids level?

Not really. The first level is the easiest one, and they all have the Snowman.

The game AI is "rules based," so of you learn the basic rules and patterns, it is easy to beat.

Liduario perhaps can post some hints? :)

By the way, here are some tips.

That revival mag is $35. Pricey, but I kinda want it. Someone sell me on it...

I have a copy. It has about 55 pages. It has also a review of D2K. It has a very cool interview with Howard Scott Warshaw, of ET and Yar's revenge fame (and infamity).

It has sections on ColecoVision, NES, Atari, MSX, SNK. Apparently, it also includes an exclusive game for the NEC Super CD-ROM 2.

I think it's awesome.

dZ.

P.S. Other than my game being showcased in it, I have no affiliation with the publisher. I just think its an awesome magazine (and my game is showcased in it). ;)

The game AI is "rules based," so of you learn the basic rules and patterns, it is easy to beat.

Liduario perhaps can post some hints? :)

By the way, here are some tips.

Oh, and don't forget the Practice Menu! It allows you to play any of the first 7 levels at any difficulty to hone your skills.

dZ.

How old are they? I've heard from others that kids of 6 or 8 years old love the Snowman, and wait in anticipation for the "howl." (Someone told me that, while he was playing, his kid or nephew would announce "Watch out! Here comes the Snowman!" when he hard the howl.)

I've also heard from at least one person who told me that a 3 or 4 year old got scared by the Snowman. I guess it's scary for very small children. Sorry about that, but he is evil, after all. ;)

dZ.

For me Level 1 was pretty tough, I had less problems with the Levels 2 and 5. The biggest problem for me is, that the snowflakes are gone forever if you collected them once. So if you collect the presents, use some snowflakes and get contact with this nasty ghost you are done, also if you get killed by the snowman. I wish sometimes that the snowflakes come again on the screen if you lost a live, because on higher levels its impossible to clear a screen without flakes.

The game is very good, but 10/10 would be too high for me too. Maybe 8,5. But I hope you go on with new games and so maybe the next one is a 10 for me too ;)

(...) on higher levels its impossible to clear a screen without flakes.

It's hard but It's always possible, you must believe it. ;)

(...)The biggest problem for me is, that the snowflakes are gone forever if you collected them once. (...)

Actually, one or two reappear. I don't remember if it's one snowflake per lost life...

I liked the high difficulty. My brothers liked the game even without beeing able to save Christmas.

It's a difficult matter to say when a challenge is fun or frustrating. It's very subjective.

Imo, when you have a good replay value, good cut scenes waiting to be discovered, different mazes, each victory makes you feel good you truly have a good challenge.

And I don't like when I finish a game in just one day.

For me Level 1 was pretty tough, I had less problems with the Levels 2 and 5. The biggest problem for me is, that the snowflakes are gone forever if you collected them once. So if you collect the presents, use some snowflakes and get contact with this nasty ghost you are done, also if you get killed by the snowman. I wish sometimes that the snowflakes come again on the screen if you lost a live, because on higher levels its impossible to clear a screen without flakes.

Snowflakes will regenerate, if you are on your last life, or if you lost two lives on the same screen.

Also, pick up presents when the ghost stops to look around. If he is moving, he will immediately run towards you, but if he is standing still, he will never know you picked up a present. The ghost runs for a bit and stops every so often.

Once you get the hang of it, it becomes easier, but the game is a bit hard at first.

The coolest thing, in my opinion at least, is that you get a cool intermission sequence every two levels, and a new screen. :)

The game is very good, but 10/10 would be too high for me too. Maybe 8,5. But I hope you go on with new games and so maybe the next one is a 10 for me too ;)

8.5 is very good too. :)

I wonder what you would consider a 10, and which existing Intellivision games would deserve that score. I'm just curious to know what Christmas Carol is being compared to.

When I read a review like Revival's that says so many good things about the game, praising it to no end, but then gives it an 8 out of 10 score, I would like to know what I could have done to have it deserve, say, a 9.5, if not a 10.

I will certainly continue making games. However, I'm not aiming for awards, great reviews, or to fill a niche genre that people feel was missing in the Intellivision library. I'm designing the games I would have loved to play when I was a kid, back when I dreamt of becoming a game programmer. These are games designed by the 9-year-old in me. :)

dZ.

10 score is nearly impossible to get. The only game I reviewed in my live with a score of 10 was Final Fantasy IX, because its the most epic RPG I ever played in my life, but also there I had to admit that the 10 was just because I love the game. 10 means perfect and I think no game is perfect at all.

Games on the Intellivision which I would rate 8,5 or 9 are:

Atlantis

Tower of Doom (but I need to play it much more, so this is just a first view opinion)

Thunder Castle (same like Tower of Doom)

Ice Trek (I love the different game screens)

Motocross

Diner

And so on. You see, Carol is definitely in the high class of Intellivision games, but I dont like the waisting of perfect ratings for video games like the Famitsu does the last years :) Although I have to admit that I never played Spiker on the Intellivision, but the gameplay seems to be awesome, so this is maybe a Intellivision 10. I check that when I get my Spiker (in some years^^)

10 score is nearly impossible to get. The only game I reviewed in my live with a score of 10 was Final Fantasy IX, because its the most epic RPG I ever played in my life, but also there I had to admit that the 10 was just because I love the game. 10 means perfect and I think no game is perfect at all.

Games on the Intellivision which I would rate 8,5 or 9 are:

Atlantis

Tower of Doom (but I need to play it much more, so this is just a first view opinion)

Thunder Castle (same like Tower of Doom)

Ice Trek (I love the different game screens)

Motocross

Diner

And so on. You see, Carol is definitely in the high class of Intellivision games, but I dont like the waisting of perfect ratings for video games like the Famitsu does the last years :) Although I have to admit that I never played Spiker on the Intellivision, but the gameplay seems to be awesome, so this is maybe a Intellivision 10. I check that when I get my Spiker (in some years^^)

Well, I guess I just don't believe in the "impossible scale" to rate games.

In my view, awarding a 10 to a game, or anything for that matter, means that it is the best of its class, not necessarily "perfection." What is the point of rating Intellivision games in a scale of 1 to 10 if none of them ever get a ten--that elusive perfect game that does not exist? Then it just means that you have a scale from 1 to 9.

Say you have an educational game vs. an RPG, would you rate them on the same scale, relative to each other? I don't think people would reasonably believe that the RPG one is "worse" if it got a lower score--just that perhaps it is not the best RPG game.

I'm not arguing that Carol deserves a 10 or a 9 or anything--not at all. Carol deserves exactly what the people who play it believes is fair. I am very happy and proud that it got reviewed at all, and I value criticism highly. :)

I just don't agree with scales that include unachievable values, whether it's game reviews, dating services, or even school grades.

Carol vs Ghost was a difficult game for me right out of the box. There are a lot of elements to keep track of. You're collecting candy, but although you get points it slows you down, so there are decisions to make there. Then there are snowflakes, which need to be used wisely. It also takes time learning the Snowflake's effect on the Ghost and the Snowman. Finding a good navigation strategy for collecting presents is a lot of trial and error. Learning the relative speeds of all of the characters also takes time. What I'm trying to say is that because of all of these dynamic elements it can be a very fun and challenging (and frustrating) game. There is a bit of a learning curve, but putting some time into it, practicing, reading the hints, watching some of the gameplay videos for ideas on how to better navigate the map (Liduario posted some)....these will help you overcome the initial hump. Your effort and patience wil pay off. My official rating....11/10, not compared to any other games, I just really enjoy it ;-)

How old are they? I've heard from others that kids of 6 or 8 years old love the Snowman, and wait in anticipation for the "howl." (Someone told me that, while he was playing, his kid or nephew would announce "Watch out! Here comes the Snowman!" when he hard the howl.)

I've also heard from at least one person who told me that a 3 or 4 year old got scared by the Snowman. I guess it's scary for very small children. Sorry about that, but he is evil, after all. ;)

dZ.

DZ I have a 4 and 8 year old. I'm 40 and the first time I heard the snowman I got scared too :)

Edited by grips03

DZ I have a 4 and 8 year old. I'm 40 and the first time I heard the snowman I got scared too :)

Grips03,

Show the little kids the manual. It looks like a comic, with cute pictures, and if you read it to them, they may get excited by the whimsical and cute story.

In the center of the manual there's a two page spread of the characters. Show them the picture of the Evil Snowman to familiarize them with it, and so they know it's just like any other cartoon monster.

Let me know how it goes. I hope they don't get too scared. :)

dZ.

If Carol or D2K can't get 10s, I agree....then the scale is out of 9...... What game could receive a 10? Perhaps Space Patrol....

Definitely not for me. Space Patrol is very good and it brings a lot of fun to my Intellivision, BUT its in fact just Moon Patrol. A 10 needs own ideas for me, whats also the reason why DK or D2K couldnt get 10s.

My ratings for homebrews so far

Carol: 8,5

Space Patrol: 7,5 (because its a port)

DK/D2K: 7,5

Match 5: 7

Minehunter: 5

If a scale if from ONE to TEN, then you need to be perfect in all points to get the 10. 8,5 is very good, its like an A- in school. There are just very few pupils who would complain about an A- :)

Definitely not for me. Space Patrol is very good and it brings a lot of fun to my Intellivision, BUT its in fact just Moon Patrol. A 10 needs own ideas for me, whats also the reason why DK or D2K couldnt get 10s.

My ratings for homebrews so far

Carol: 8,5

Space Patrol: 7,5 (because its a port)

DK/D2K: 7,5

Match 5: 7

Minehunter: 5

If a scale if from ONE to TEN, then you need to be perfect in all points to get the 10. 8,5 is very good, its like an A- in school. There are just very few pupils who would complain about an A- :)

Give me one example of an Intellivision game that you qualify as a 10, just to understand the extent and hight of your scale. If by chance you have none, then it means your criteria is impossible to meet, if in 30 years not a single game has achieved it. I say, then, that your scale is from 1 to 9, nine being the best and 10 being an elusive perfect game that can never exist.

Again, I am not arguing that Carol or D2K or Space Patrol should get a higher score. I'm quite impressed and pleased that you liked my game enough to even consider rating it. Indeed, 8.5 is a terrific score. Thank you, and I sincerely wish it lives up to your expectations in re-play. :)

I'm just arguing that a scale that includes a "perfect score" that nothing can achieve is not a true way to measure in the real world. We should be rating the games that exist against the realities of the console, not against some absurd criteria that cannot be met. Das ist alles. :)

-dZ.