IGNORED

The NEW High Score Club ~ Week 1 ~ Asteroids (Game 16: Diff. A)

Vocelli

I just sit and spin myself.

Does anyone get down to one rock, then point harvest the space ships, like you see in the arcade game?

PLEASE DON'T ABUSE BUGS IN THE GAMES! Many Atari games have loopholes that allow you to easily get huge amounts of points without much work (An example of such "Point Scumming": in Asteroids, you can eliminate all but one small asteroid, and then "hunt" UFO's without the level ending), or finish the game while skipping a lot of the actual content (For example, using the X-Ray cheat in Superman to prevent the bridge from exploding). Not only do these result in somewhat bogus high scores, but it ruins the fun and challenge of the game in the process. I'll try to point out "forbidden" tactics as I become aware of them, but if you happen to stumble across one that I was not aware of, please let me know! (NOTE: If a bug is proven to exist partway through the week, existing scores may be removed if it can be proven that they have exploited the bug even if it was not intentional. If you have triggered the bug accidentally, I would urge to you voluntarily remove your score and post a new one.)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/47348-high-score-club-the-rules-info-updated-30808/

Edited by NIKON

How is point harvesting UFOs in Asteroids a bug? It is considered a legit strategy, at least when it comes to the Arcade version. Is there something special about the 2600 game that makes it extra easy?

Here is a short video of 2600 Space Rocks (Homebrew), to let Vocelli know which I'm using special features on Stella Emulator version 3.8.1 to reduce flickering.

Since this vídeo size is less than 10 MB, I attached it here on wmv. format (Windows Movie Video). I followed Spiceware's procedures:

• open Space Rocks with Stella
  • hit TAB for the in-game-menu
  • select Game Properties
  • Select the Display tab
  • change Use Phosphor to Yes
  • click OK
  • select Exit Menu
  • Reload the ROM (Control-R)

@ Spiceware, BIG THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE! I will use this emulation feature on other 2600 games, such as Pac-Man Triology, Defender, and Missile Command.

Space Rocks.wmv

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 1

Same thing here. Although I can't do it successfully on the arcade version either.

If someone can successfully use a UFO point harvesting technique on the 2600 version, I would like to see a video.

Here is a short video of 2600 Space Rocks (Homebrew), to let Vocelli know which I'm using special features on Stella Emulator version 3.8.1 to reduce flickering.

@ Spiceware, BIG THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE! I will use this emulation feature on other 2600 games, such as Pac-Man Triology, Defender, and Missile Command.

Your welcome! Phosphor mode is a special feature of Stella that's OK to use for the HSC.

Stella has an internal database for games that control which controllers the game uses, phosphor mode, and other settings. That database normally has it turned on for games that flicker - it does for Asteroids and Missile Command, though not for Defender. It needs to be manually set for new games like Space Rocks because Stella doesn't know anything about them.

Stella uses an MD5 hash value to identify games. That checksum changes on every build, so new homebrews don't get added to Stella's internal database until after they've been finalized. Space Rock's MD5 value is fe395b292e802ea16b3b5782b21ee686, as can be seen in the Cartridge tab:

post-3056-0-30309500-1368630167_thumb.png

When you manually change these settings they get stored in stella.pro. It contains this on my system for the NTSC and PAL builds of Space Rocks:

"Cartridge.MD5" "fe395b292e802ea16b3b5782b21ee686"
"Cartridge.Name" "Space Rocks"
"Display.Phosphor" "YES"
""

"Cartridge.MD5" "cf3420a5c65a70557e1926a2dc43255f"
"Cartridge.Name" "Space Rocks (PAL)"
"Display.Format" "PAL60"
"Display.Phosphor" "YES"
""

Edited by SpiceWare

Same thing here. Although I can't do it successfully on the arcade version either.

If someone can successfully use a UFO point harvesting technique on the 2600 version, I would like to see a video.

I haven't tried point harvesting recently, but it seems to me it should be pretty doable given the shield option. But even though Voc gave the official O.K. on it, I would still feel like I was cheating if I were to use this technique for my high score. That's just my feeling though -- I'm not saying that others shouldn't try it