IGNORED

Atari Competition Controller

Smack2k

Hey all,

I am getting a 5200 with two of the original controllers...I have seen one video / blog after another talk about how bad these controllers were, no matter how well they worked..

Would getting the Atari Competition Pro Joystick work on the 5200? I think I saw one that had inputs for both 2600 and 5200, but I could have been seeing things...

Thanks!!

The controllers aren't bad, really, with most games. They just take a little getting used to. The contacts do usually need to be cleaned or repaired when you get an original one, and there are things you can do to make them better (specifically, replace insides with gold contacts or add aluminum foil dots at the contact points).

I meant this...

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1710376923611?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=171037692361&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I know it says 5200 but I wanted to be sure...

Also, any good info or how-tos on fixing or cleaning / updating 5200 controllers to make them work as good as they can.

As long as there's not something seriously wrong, for me, carefully cleaning all the contacts with an eraser and then rubbing alcohol does the trick. The weird thing about the 5200 controller though is that the buttons tend to not work the longer you don't use it. So, even after a successful cleaning, after a few days of non use I find I have to work the buttons in during some practice runs before I can seriously game. Perhaps using the aluminum foil trick eliminates that problem, I don't know as I haven't tried it yet. Still, one of the big issues with the controllers is that the rubber buttons are so darn mushy and their placement makes them a little uncomfortable for longer periods of play. Not much you can do about that though.

Edited by 5200FoxFlash

I meant this...

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1710376923611?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=171037692361&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I know it says 5200 but I wanted to be sure...

Also, any good info or how-tos on fixing or cleaning / updating 5200 controllers to make them work as good as they can.

The 5200 Comp Pros are very nice for digital games (most of the 5200 library), but useless for analog games like Kaboom, Centipede, Missile Command, etc.

I've found the foil dot trick to be a good fix for the original sticks.