IGNORED

Javatari 3.30 released. Applets can now be detached and go FullScreen

Paulo Peccin

Thanks for this, I have downloaded it. Sadly I was really looking forward to something - but it doesn't do it..... :(

I have a trackball you see, and it would be perfect for Circus Atari, Breakout etc. But I don't see any way you use it (it's seen by the system as a mouse).

Any chances?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I finally got around to putting this version on my web site. Have you ever gotten around to putting instructions on your web site for people who want to embed games? I can't find any instructions if you did. I'd like to use an image for my embedded programs and only have them run if the person clicks on them, instead of having the programs auto-run when the page loads.

Thanks.

I'm sorry guys, I did not have the time to write the documentation yet... :-(

Regarding Random Terrain´s question about having an image instead of the emulator starting automatically:

There are indeed several ways to do that:

- You could achieve this effect by yourself in your website, just like the way I did at javatari.org. I have just an image at the main page, which is a link to another page that has the real emulator running. This is good because the Java VM authorization bar or dialog that asks the user permission to execute the applet would appear only at the second page, and only if the user clicks the image to start the emulator. Also there would be more space at the second page for instructions, etc...

- Or you could use dynamic webpage techniques like javascript to have an image and then "transform" that image in the real emulator once its clicked. But this is more difficult and troublesome.

- Or I could implement that inside he emulator itself, but that is not a good solution, since the emulator would be already "running" just to show the image, but would have its main screen hidden and the console would be off. The user would have to authorize the applet execution just to see the image at first place...

I prefer the first solution, since this is something that each website must come with its own solution and preference. Some websites like to use links, others like to use buttons, others like to use images, and others like to have it opened automatically.

That is not a question that the emulator should try do solve, its the website's job.

Regards,

Peccin

I have plans to add Mouse support, emulating both Joysticks and Paddles.

Do you think you'll be able to get exactly the same sensitivity and distance tracking for both left and right movements of the mouse? Stella has yet to accomplish this for paddle emulation.

Moving the mouse x amount of distance right translates into a certain amount of onscreen movement. Moving it left the same distance, it should equal the same amount of onscreen movement.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm working on mouse support right now! :-)

Its a little hairy to implement proper "mouse grab" in Java.

I plan to add just the basic options:

- Mouse emulating the Joysticks with deadzone configuration and which players are commanded.

- Mouse emulating paddles with sensitivity configuration, settings for axis (X/Y, invert) and which players are commanded.

Do you guys think there are any other important configurations?

Regards,

Peccin

Well

I don't think Centipede and Missile Command support paddles, do they?

If they don't support paddles, the games themselves only support digital movement via the joysticks. There is only one possible movement speed for the pointer (either moving or not).

It would be very difficult to implement any concept of "relative" or variable speed movement on the X and Y axes for those games.

However, it IS possible... Maybe with some crazy "variable pulse modulation" of the joystick commands, if you know what I mean...

Maybe for some future version. :-)

Regards,

Peccin

You're right. Stella has the option to use a Mouse as though it's a joystick I think. Probably explains why it's not ideal. Same with Missile Command on the Atari 800. It works, you can use the trackball/mouse as a joystick, but it just doesn't feel right.

But hey - you can't have it all. Given your Emulator is Java, I'd guess people might enjoy using a mouse with it.