IGNORED

Your picture on a Cart?

Andrew Davie

"Greeting Cart" proposal...

I will make at most 100 greeting cart binaries. That is, once I've done 100 images, that's it - no more. I'll burn the code.

When you send me an image, I will first convert it and send you a 32K binary for evaluation - free of charge. If you are happy with the quality of the image, then send (PayPal?) me $5 and I will burn you a 4K image which you can have burned on cartridge by somebody like AtariAge.

Each 'greeting cart' will be uniquely serial-numbered (in ROM) - and of course is also distinguishable by the image of your choice on it.

For the $5 you pay, you get the right to make as many copies of the cart as you want (and sell them, if you wish - for whatever you can get away with). I, too, reserve the right to sell copies of your binary image - for whatever *I* can get away with. For an extra $5, though, you buy from me the exclusive right to the image - that is, I will not redistribute to anyone else.

I will maintain a web page showing the images of all cartridges and contact details for those cartridge/binary owners. Anonyminity can be purchased for - you guessed it - another $5.

Official "greeting carts" come with an AtariAge label and manual designed specifically for the purpose. These are supplied by AtariAge only if you order your GreetingCart production through them - ie; not available separately.

AtariAge will produce only ONE official NUMBERED GreetingCart label per serial numbered binary. Non-serial numbered labels and manuals are, of course, available when ordering cartridge production (and, you guessed it, for an extra $5). That is, total cart production for a GreetingCart from AtariAge is $20 (including the $5 to me) - or $15 if you are making your own duplicate copies of your original (that is, I don't get the $5 extra).

Finally, purchasers of Qb Special edition get a binary for free (that is, I waive the $5), should they be in the first 100 to request a copy. That's to make up for the slowness in delivery of the final manual/labels - and replacement cart board in some instances. It's coming guys, honest. This is just a thank-you for your patience.

Right, tell me why it's a silly idea. It means that the GreetingCarts are a viable 'collectible' in that there are a limited number (of sorts), but everyone can actually get their hands on one - provided they are happy with a copy. Binaries will be available for purchase from either me or the original GreetingCart owner (or not, as that owner decides).

Seems like an interesting new way of delivering a product. I don't feel like this is a totally cynical grab at making a fake collectible - in fact, this new colour bitmap technology is something quite significant for the Atari 2600. Having a "first-ever" type cartridge is kind of attractive.

I can see a lot of advantages - so what are the disadvantages?

For the $5 you pay, you get the right to make as many copies of the cart as you want (and sell them, if you wish - for whatever you can get away with).  I, too, reserve the right to sell copies of your binary image - for whatever *I* can get away with.  For an extra $5, though, you buy from me the exclusive right to the image - that is, I will not redistribute to anyone else.

Concerns me not. No matter how many more people would burn the image to a cart, I would still be the one who commissioned it and the first to have one "produced" so in effect I'd still own cartridge #1. If other people want copies after that, let 'em have 'em! :D

I will maintain a web page showing the images of all cartridges and contact details for those cartridge/binary owners.  Anonyminity can be purchased for - you guessed it - another $5.

By all means, PUBLICIZE MINE. I absolutely don't want anonymity - I want people to know I own the first ever Mega Man cart for Atari 2600! :D

None! That's why I've already sent you payment. ;)

"Greeting Cart" proposal...

I will make at most 100 greeting cart binaries.  That is, once I've done 100 images, that's it - no more.  I'll burn the code.

I will be ordering several different binaries! But I'll have to set up the images I want converted( original artwork ) in Paint Shop Pro first. :)

When you send me an image, I will first convert it and send you a 32K binary for evaluation - free of charge.  If you are happy with the quality of the image, then send (PayPal?) me $5 and I will burn you a 4K image which you can have burned on cartridge by somebody like AtariAge.

Will you be accepting US checks?

Finally, purchasers of Qb Special edition get a binary for free (that is, I waive the $5), should they be in the first 100 to request a copy.  That's to make up for the slowness in delivery of the final manual/labels - and replacement cart board in some instances.  It's coming guys, honest.  This is just a thank-you for your patience.

I officially request a copy of QB Special Edition! :D

Andrew, I think this is great! I will be contacting you very soon( PM and email )!!!

I'll probably send you one image to start but, assuming everything turns out looking great, I'll be submitting several of those "100" shortly after that! 8)

Keep up the great work and I'll be corresponding with you soon! :)

- Weston

I have reconsidered - and decided that 100 would be overkill. 25 seems reasonable, so if you want to have your own image in that lot, you better be quick. 25 makes it feasible (just) for people to have a full set - if they really wish. Maybe I'll post (say) the first 100 submissions, and from that we can have a poll as to what 25 *actually* make it into release. And then those 25 people get to pay me their $5 for their custom cart binaries - and the others - alas - miss out. Sounds like that could be fun, and controversial. I like controversy, as some may have guessed ;)

Could even be a good AtariAge competition/poll - choosing the best images to include in the release, and having the best of the best receive their winning entry free on a cart.

As for payment - yes, I accept US checks - but please don't send payment yet. One person has done so already, which is fine - but I really don't want the extra pressure of having MORE people waiting for me to deliver something they've paid for. Let's just do the obligation free submission thing at this stage.

Qb Special Edition is *not* available anymore - the free copy for these people is a thank-you for their patience over my tardiness in delivery of all the bits and pieces of that release. Some might be unhappy I'm working on other stuff while their Qb isn't complete - but in fact, I'm waiting on labels and manuals and until they are done I might as well be productive.

Cheers

A

I have reconsidered - and decided that 100 would be overkill.  25 seems reasonable, so if you want to have your own image in that lot, you better be quick.  25 makes it feasible (just) for people to have a full set - if they really wish...

Too late! My imagination is already in overdrive of the possibilities I can submit! Prepare to be swamped with emails! :P

As for payment - yes, I accept US checks - but please don't send payment yet...  Let's just do the obligation free submission thing at this stage...

8)

Qb Special Edition is *not* available anymore...
:(

...Okay, I'm over it! :)

Will submit soon!

- Weston

Wait a minute. So if I want a cart with an image of Ness from EarthBound/ Super Smash Bros., I'll have to send you the image and wait for people to vote on it?

Hopefully this will just be for the set of 25 official greeting carts.

You said something about being able to buy the exclusive rights to an image so I'm not exactly understanding if you changed your mind or added something different.

Wait a minute.  So if I want a cart with an image of Ness from EarthBound/ Super Smash Bros., I'll have to send you the image and wait for people to vote on it?  

Hopefully this will just be for the set of 25 official greeting carts.  

You said something about being able to buy the exclusive rights to an image so I'm not exactly understanding if you changed your mind or added something different.

I change my mind all the time; you should know that.

I'm just looking at releasing the colour images as a small custom-made run of carts. I'm not going to continue to do it forever, and I'm not really interested in making hundreds of different ones either. About 25 seems a reasonable amount.

Either it's the first 25, or you fight for your place by sending quality images. I'm inclined to have the latter - and even a competition where YOU do the image conversion rather than throwing it at me. After all, I've already given instructions on how to do it... and *nobody* has even tried.

As for the exclusive rights thing, that was to say - if you (for example) sent me a nude photo of your wife - to convert... then you would probably NOT want me to be selling cart binaries of that particular conversion. I was saying that since I do all the programming and conversion work for just $5 -- then if you expect exclusivity (that is, you don't want me to sell the ROM image to others)... then you could probably expect to pay me another $5.

I'm just shooting the breeze with ideas at the moment.

Cheers

A

One more thing: isn't it technically illegal to sell an image of a character like Link?

Yes, that's a good point. I'll place the onus of responsibility on the image-submitters. I have no way of knowing if any particular submitted image has copyright or not. So, if you send me an image - please make sure you have the rights to that image, and that you are willing to have it sold in the form of a ROM binary.

Since I'm totally blind... I have no way of knowing what you submit, anyway.

Cheers

A

Okay, now I'm confused. Here's what my desire is. This summer, I'm going to play a couple music gigs with Synthcart (among other things). What I'd like is a cartridge with the logo of the band. that way I pop it into the Atari, plug the Atari into a video projector, and voila - the coolest atari show in the city!

The logo isn't done yet, but it may be done enough considering the low resolution of the finished product. So I have to submit it now in hopes that it's cool enough to be one of the 25 images that get made, or is that part of some other collectible thing?

Sorry that I'm not getting this. All I know is that I can have an image ready soon, and my $5 even sooner. Let me know what the next step is. Thanks!

Yes, that's a good point.  I'll place the onus of responsibility on the image-submitters.  I have no way of knowing if any particular submitted image has copyright or not.  So, if you send me an image - please make sure you have the rights to that image, and that you are willing to have it sold in the form of a ROM binary.

Since I'm totally blind...  I have no way of knowing what you submit, anyway.

Cheers

A

If Capcom really wants to come after me for putting an image of Mega Man on a 4K Atari cart that's only for my own personal use, let them. I fear them not after the thousands of dollars I've already spent on licensed official images of the blue bomber. In my view, it's not something they're even concerned about or they would have shut down the Mega Man Home Page and other sites like it a long time ago. Now if I was trying to produce a run of Mega Man 2600 carts and sell them for PROFIT, I'd understand them wanting to kick my butt - they'd be legally entitled to and entirely in the right to. Again, in my view, a one-off image for your own personal use is not going to bother any video game company. Can you really picture them hiring a lawyer to file a cease and desist for displaying Link's image on an Atari 2600? It's laughable. :lolblue:

I have got to catch up with these developments. Can anyone post a working link to a couple of demo ROMs?

And Andrew, any chance you can extend the free 4k ROM to anyone owning any physical Qb cart? I bought one from Hozer a while back when I also grabbed a copy of my Gunfight label entry. (It subsquently featured in two of my Qb label contest entries. I'm still interested in turning my second place into the regular label BTW.)

So, what size of image should we submit? Or what should the ratio of width to height be?

I have got to catch up with these developments.  Can anyone post a working link to a couple of demo ROMs?

And Andrew, any chance you can extend the free 4k ROM to anyone owning any physical Qb cart?  I bought one from Hozer a while back when I also grabbed a copy of my Gunfight label entry.  (It subsquently featured in two of my Qb label contest entries.  I'm still interested in turning my second place into the regular label BTW.)

So, what size of image should we submit?  Or what should the ratio of width to height be?

Well, this is turning into more of a saga than I wanted. The aspect ratio of the '2600 is approximately 2:1 - that is, twice as wide as deep. So a 48 x 128 pixel image (the size I want) will appear roughly like a 96-pixel-wide x 128 deep image if your pixels are square. But still only 48 distinct pixels. Now I explained already HOW to make an image to give you a good idea of how it looks... so if you really want to see, try that method.

And please please don't send me dark, grainy, lowres images which are crappy to start with. Garbage in, garbage out, guys. Please use a bit of common-sense. The Interleaved Chronocolour is good, but it's not perfect. It can display good colour images as shown in the examples I've posted... but it's not going to be good for displaying the photo of your grey cat sitting in the shadows on the porch taken with a cheap camera (and you know who you are - I'll protect your name, to spare the innocent!!).

The free binary image offer is only open to Special Edition owners.

I'm still unsure how I'm going to work the cartridge numbers/method/choice. I think a competition would be good, and perhaps if the conditions of the competition are that you have to RTFM and generate your own colour 48x128 pixel image to enter.... that would save me a lot of work and only the really determined would enter.

Cheers

A

What I'd like is a cartridge with the logo of the band.  that way I pop it into the Atari, plug the Atari into a video projector, and voila - the coolest atari show in the city!

The logo isn't done yet, but it may be done enough considering the low resolution of the finished product.  So I have to submit it now in hopes that it's cool enough to be one of the 25 images that get made, or is that part of some other collectible thing?

I would be willing to provide you with a one-off private ROM for this purpose, but the condition would be that you do not copy sell or redistribute the ROM/cartridge or binary image.

Cheers

A

Again, in my view, a one-off image for your own personal use is not going to bother any video game company.  Can you really picture them hiring a lawyer to file a cease and desist for displaying Link's image on an Atari 2600?  It's laughable. :lolblue:

Since I produce software myself, I can hardly knowingly produce and sell items in clear breach of copyright and still expect people to respect MY rights and wishes.

Again, in my view, a one-off image for your own personal use is not going to bother any video game company.  Can you really picture them hiring a lawyer to file a cease and desist for displaying Link's image on an Atari 2600?  It's laughable. :lolblue:

Since I produce software myself, I can hardly knowingly produce and sell items in clear breach of copyright and still expect people to respect MY rights and wishes.

Having been forced to become something of an expert in this area over the years, I don't see this as a copyright violation at all. Let me put it to you this way - if displaying Mega Man on a TV using an Atari 2600 was a copyright violation, then drawing a picture of him, video taping it, and watching the tape on your TV would be as well. In this case, the pixels are pencils, and the screen is your paper.

Copyright violation would occur if you sold copies of the drawing at a profit, without the permission of Capcom, and without paying them royalties for said image. But if anybody's really worried about this, I'll send a letter to Capcom's legal department for permission to display a 4K image of Mega Man via an Atari 2600 cartridge for my own personal use. Frankly I don't think they're even going to respond - as I said it's laughable to think they care one way or the other.