IGNORED

New game for Intellivision: Hover Bovver

Wow that looks good, and hard as hell! :)

Its not as hard as it looks. If you stay out of the flower beds then you only have the Neighbour chasing you to to worry about (as well as avoiding the Dog). One of the yet to be implemented features is the ability to make the Dog attack the Neighbour at your command (by pressing fire). You can only do that for a fixed amount of time because the Dog eventually gets fed up of you telling it what to do. One of the other missing features is "turbo mode" where you can accelerate the mower if you keep moving for long enough in one direction. When you do that you leave the Neighbour (and also the Gardener) well behind but they still chase after you. There are some game balancing out elements like the mower overheating which makes you stand still (until it cools) and touching the dog makes you stall the mower for a few seconds as well. You need to develop a strategy for clearing the levels as quickly as possible.

• Like 4

So you're supposed to mow the grass, but not the flowerbed? And if you mow the flowers, the gardener gets mad?

I like how the guy just breaks into his neighbor's houses and steals their mowers. He totally ruins Jim's mower and then proceeds to borrow Bob's on the same day only to ruin that one as well. How rude!

• Like 1

Its not as hard as it looks. If you stay out of the flower beds then you only have the Neighbour chasing you to to worry about (as well as avoiding the Dog). One of the yet to be implemented features is the ability to make the Dog attack the Neighbour at your command (by pressing fire). You can only do that for a fixed amount of time because the Dog eventually gets fed up of you telling it what to do. One of the other missing features is "turbo mode" where you can accelerate the mower if you keep moving for long enough in one direction. When you do that you leave the Neighbour (and also the Gardener) well behind but they still chase after you. There are some game balancing out elements like the mower overheating which makes you stand still (until it cools) and touching the dog makes you stall the mower for a few seconds as well. You need to develop a strategy for clearing the levels as quickly as possible.

You know, not having seen the game before, I got most (if not all) of that from the C=64 video posted before. The biggest difference that I see is that the bar graphs for the dog loyalty and neighbor health has changed to just numeric values due to space constraints. That's fine, and fits the Intellivision style of games.

-dZ.

-dZ.

How do you control speed and prevent overheating? Avoid straight lines for too long, or is there a speed control?

There is no keypad button assigned to speed control. The speed of the player's avatar is controlled by the length of time you move him in the same direction with a single push of the disc. So if you are always chopping and changing direction you won't accelerate.

Any chance for a kids mode? I'm trying to introduce my kids 4 and 8 to older video games, but need an easy mode.

Don't forget this game was played by kids back in the day ;). I don't have any plans for adding an easy mode at this time.

You know, not having seen the game before, I got most (if not all) of that from the C=64 video posted before. The biggest difference that I see is that the bar graphs for the dog loyalty and neighbor health has changed to just numeric values due to space constraints. That's fine, and fits the Intellivision style of games.

When I was thinking about screen real estate a very early version had horizontal bars but it ate into the playing area too much. By converting the bars into numbers the original game's levels could be better matched on the Inty. The numbers change colour from green to yellow to red as they run out in the cases of the Dog's loyalty and tolerance or overheat in the mower's case. The colour changes allow you to play the game without keeping an eye on the exact amounts remaining but to quickly determine if things are good, getting worse or bad.

• Like 6

Cebus, sadly for you Rev and I have already bought ALL of the copies of this game and, as a result, you will have to plead and beg us to get a copy. Also, now that we know you love this game, we will be charging a ridiculous premium. :)

You would, ya bum! Hey are you going to PRGE this year? We have some drinking to do! :D

You would, ya bum! Hey are you going to PRGE this year? We have some drinking to do! :D

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be able to go this year, what are the dates again? Of course there's no crazy Keyboard Component to shoot for but I'm sure I'll find other things to bring back to Vancouver to my underground lair.

Any chance for a kids mode? I'm trying to introduce my kids 4 and 8 to older video games, but need an easy mode.

Hello Grips, you may be interested in the following thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/210921-my-kids-finally-enjoy-intellivision/page__hl__+kids?do=findComment&comment=2740175

There are many kids friendly games out there :)

Cheers!