IGNORED

My woody is still broken

bcsnow

My woody still gives nothing but a blank screen, first I was told the problem could be the voltage regulator but this was not the case. Then I thought maube it's the cardridge/connector but I've measured it and it seems to be alright. Finally I've noticed noticed that an in-socket IC labeled:

C010745
Gets so warm that I can't even touch it without burning my finger so it appears this could be the problem right? Annayway is there anyone who can tell me if it is normal that this IC get's warm or is it indeed broken.

Thanks alot,

BC

Gets so warm that I can't even touch it without burning my finger so it appears this could be the problem right? Annayway is there anyone who can tell me if it is normal that this IC get's warm or is it indeed broken.

Thanks alot,

BC

Anything with electricity flowing through it should give off +some+ degree of heat - after all this is why computers need heat sinks and cooling fans. However hot enough to burn at the touch does NOT sound good to me, though I'm no electrical expert.

And yes, I was drawn in by the humor value of the topic. :D

My woody still gives nothing but a blank screen, first I was told the problem could be the voltage regulator but this was not the case. Then I thought maube it's the cardridge/connector but I've measured it and it seems to be alright. Finally I've noticed noticed that an in-socket IC labeled:

C010745

Thanks alot,

BC

That could very well be the reason, this IC is the CPU (6507), you can order a replacement from http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/custom-i.htm !

YEAH CPUWIZ is the MAN!

CPUWIZ gave me the link to the best-electronics site and there I looked for the new CPU i've noticed that the CPU had different reverenge numbers and this gave me the idea to look inside on of my 2 atari-jr's I opend one and I found out the PCU's must be the same. I've desoldered the CPU out of the atari-jr and inserted it into the socket of the woody turned it on and there I was playing Enduro :D

Thanks alot CPUWIZ Now I can play with my woody again :D.

Hello,

I have been having the same problem and I suspect that it stems from something similar. If anyone could offer some help, I would appreciate it. My 6 switcher was fine up until a week ago or so. I started having the same problem: a black screen. I havent checked heat levels from the chips yet but I am aware of some specific symptoms that may help explain what the problem is.

ie: the screen will show the normal red and grey vertical lines when I turn the console on without a cart inserted

Can anybody give me any clues as to what needs to be replaced??

Okay okay. Here is the latest on the status of my console. In reference to what has been suggested:

I have resocketed the chips. This has resulted in restored video images. Now, the image is distorted. Everything is clear with no RF or fuzziness problems. Some games will show an image and some will still show a black screen. This seems to only happen to the newer games. I tried Asteroids and this game shows the title screen but the text is all garbled and I cant get past that screen to start the game. I tried Bowling and the game plays okay but it looks like the bowler sprite is a chineese symbol or something and the colors are all different. I know that this is considerable progress but I am not quite where I want to be yet with this repair. Is it possible that I simply need to replace a certain chip?? Any repair tips from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Thanks for the quick response. I own 200 some odd Atari carts and as far as cleanliness goes, I know that they ALL work in my 6 other 2600 and 7800 consoles. I am not certain that dirt is a factor unless it is possible that the connector pins inside the cartridge port need cleaning. This pesky console had been working fine up until a month ago. One day, out of the blue, the black screen started happening. Im wondering.... I tested a few power supplies of unknown voltage (that susbsequently didnt power up the console) in this console just prior to this black screen phenomanon. Would this fry the innards of my woody?? I know that the voltage regulator is fine for sure. It seems more like dirty connectors like you say. Any cleaning tips or other possible guesses at the cause of the black screen?? Thanks again.

I am sorry, I have no tips for cleaning the cart-slot but I guess you could try one of those kits they used to sell for the NES and modify it. I am sure you can still get those in some shops as well as eBay.

Good luck !

-R

Update:

I just cleaned the cart slot and still the same problem. Earlier I said that it is not the voltage regulator. Could this type of problem be caused by the voltage regulator?? Obviously I could just go get a new console but I would prefer to attempt to fix this one first. I assume this could be a million things, right? I also attached the switch board from another sixer I have to see if it could be something on that part of the circuit but still the same problem. I know that a definate video image of some type is a good sign but could the amount of power running through everything cause alot of the carts to not work or make the screen black?? I am now officially obsessed with getting this fixed. Thanks again.