IGNORED

Incognito media swop conundrum

Hi - can someone help me on a few loose ends with this nice product!

Im trying to load DOS 2.5 from an ATR file on the pc formated CF card (fat 32). however, after loading - i cant switch over to the 1050 disk drive to format/read contents etc - as it uses the CF card as the primary source of data (and cant see the drive)

Is it possible to switch SIDE hardware off whilst the machine is running without going into the menu? (or switch to the 1050)

Going into the menu and switching it off then results in the data being lost.

(please avoid SDX solutions unless unavoidable, a pure hardware switch is ideal to keep it simple).

Also -

What does changing the SIDE PBI ID achieve?

Why would you care about joysticks 3 & 4 being off or not?

sorry if this is covered somewhere, but ive searched endlessly and i dont think its been covered as yet, where the Ultimate 1mb has more Q&A.

Rich

Edited by Magic Knight

Best thing to do is to put the 1050 on D2: or something, IMO. Perhaps we could augment behaviour of the SIDE hardware button so that if there's only one ATR mounted, the button toggles it on/off rather than rotating images (which is impossible anyway if there's only one mounted disk image).

Changing the SIDE PBI ID allows you to avoid PBI ID clashes with any other hardware (such as IDE Plus) which you might have on the bus. The Atari supports up to eight parallel device handlers, but they must have unique IDs.

As for Joysticks... Candle will have to answer that one. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat

Best thing to do is to put the 1050 on D2: or something, IMO. Perhaps we could augment behaviour of the SIDE hardware button so that if there's only one ATR mounted, the button toggles it on/off rather than rotating images (which is impossible anyway if there's only one mounted disk image).

Thanks FJC

Ive got the hardware switch wired to switch between ATR's for multi-disk games ok. i guess a firmware mod would be needed to implement this to switch SIDE hardware on/off. (perhaps something to add if a new build gets done at somepoint in the future).

Not sure if i would be able to mount a D2: SDX or not?

Also i forgot to ask what is the easiest way to get a bunch of files from a Fat32 cf card to the SDX partition? - is this done within incognito or would is need a pc transfer (APE) to do this?

(ps: congrats on the new job!)

Rich

I hadn't considered making the switch disable the SIDE hardware altogether, but merely toggle a single mounted ATR on any drive (most commonly drive 1). One frequently requires an SIO boot from drive 1 with hard disk partitions on drive 3 and beyond. The beauty of SDX (although I realize it's irrelevant to your question) is that I can keep all the HDD partitions on higher drive numbers, booting from drive 3, but selectively booting from a serial disk on drive one when it's present.

As for file transfer from FAT: I still haven't completed the version of FDISK which will present a FAT partition to Konrad's FAT driver for SDX. Once this is done, you'll be able to copy 8.3 files from FAT to APT partitions. In the meantime, I think ATRs in the FAT are a wonderful fast file transfer method and I'm glad Sebastian pushed me to implement them. You can back up a 32MB APT partition to a disk image in the FAT quite quickly, then pull the ATR off the card using a USB card reader on the PC.