IGNORED

New Tempest game in the works for Atari 8-bit

peteym5

89 members have voted

1. 1. Would purchase a 2nd Tempest Game if you already own Tempest Xtreem or the Tempest 5200?

• I already have Tempest Xtreem and/or Tempest 5200, don't need another one
    • Yes I would buy since it will have new features
  2. 2. Would you like to see the 5200 version ported to the 8-bit?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I beg to differ. Some of the greatest chiptunes of all time were featured in the soundtracks to NES games. Very memorable tunes. Love or hate, there was nothing else quite like them before or since.

Perhaps. But I'm not talking about Super Mario Bros or Contra or Castlevania or Megaman. I mean the generic hyper techno that seems to accompany most games these days. I can do without it, and appreciate it when the coders give me the option to turn it off.

Personal taste. Everyone has an opinion.

Hey guys

Since you seem to have this game almost finished, just release in (when it's finished!!). On cart, with everything on it. If it's good enough, people will buy it. Screen shots and video's will give an impression of what's different/better. Heck, we bought the improved version of Pac Man, why wouldn't there be a market for an improved Tempest Whatever (as you can see, I'm neither a game player, nor did I ever get what you're supposed to do in TE).

Sincerely

Mathy

I am not sure how many copies of Pac-Man Tep392 actually sold. I do know he was releasing beta versions for download so people can test and report any problems. We release it to a few trusted beta testers, but won't do it publicly unless it is still in its very early stages. Right now I am in the process of getting Venture onto the market and developing a Role Playing /Adventure type game on the Atari 8-bit. Once Venture has passed all the beta tests, I will be focused on the next Tempest.

Like Tempest Xtreem, I am considering an executable version for download that is limited, see what I can fit into 64K. I figured out ways to make routines more compacted so this Tempest Executable will probably be more than just a demo.

• Like 2

Perhaps. But I'm not talking about Super Mario Bros or Contra or Castlevania or Megaman. I mean the generic hyper techno that seems to accompany most games these days. I can do without it, and appreciate it when the coders give me the option to turn it off.

Personal taste. Everyone has an opinion.

Mute the TV and plug your CD, cassette, 8-trak, vinyl records, or *cough* ipod *cough* (if you were born after 1990) into the stereo system while you play your games?

Mute the TV and plug your CD, cassette, 8-trak, vinyl records, or *cough* ipod *cough* (if you were born after 1990) into the stereo system while you play your games?

You're missing my point. The games would have no sound effects then... The only soundtrack a video game needs is the noises of lasers being fired, dots being eaten, jumps being made, things blowing up, maybe the occasional little jingle of a bonus being collected. I generally prefer to have no music while I'm gaming.

Peace.

Edited by adam242
  • Like 1

Re: digital download

You're looking at the problem the wrong way round KJ/Peteym

One Idea would be that you put out a 'cutdown' or reduced content/PD version of this updated 'tempest' game as digital download and offer anyone who downloads the PD version a discount on the full (paid for) game

That way at least you are not 'losing customers' you are actually encouraging them, since you are giving them a taste of what they are buying and also offering them a discount on the full version

You are entitled to your atitude ofcourse but that approach won't win many customers

• Like 1

I agree 100%. I downloaded Line Runner for FREE - full version of the game. I also purchased the game the same day and have a nice sealed cart for my collection.

Did the same with R Reality ! :)

• Like 1

Bollocks - I misread the 2nd question in the poll. I thought it asked if I would like to see this version ported to the 5200, to which I replied no. I would like to see the 5200's original Tempest ported to the 8-bit though as I do not keep my 5200 hooked up.

• Like 1

The Atari 8-bit versions of Tempest I am involved with use the 8 directional Joysticks. If this 5200 version is ported, will probably need to be adapted to use the standard joystick. I am not aware that an analog joystick made for the 8-bit.

I did discuss the ideal of having an option to play the game without the music with KJMANN12 and is being considered. Have to figure out how to make it happen. Not sure if its possible to have the RMT player to just do the sound effects encoded with a song without playing the song itself. The other option is just have a song with just sound effects. The Sound Effects are done through RMT.

The Atari 8-bit versions of Tempest I am involved with use the 8 directional Joysticks. If this 5200 version is ported, will probably need to be adapted to use the standard joystick. I am not aware that an analog joystick made for the 8-bit.

I did discuss the ideal of having an option to play the game without the music with KJMANN12 and is being considered. Have to figure out how to make it happen. Not sure if its possible to have the RMT player to just do the sound effects encoded with a song without playing the song itself. The other option is just have a song with just sound effects. The Sound Effects are done through RMT.

It's perfectly possible with RMT, check out "HAR'em" and press "m" to toggle music on/off

• 2 weeks later...

We will be going forward with the next Tempest after a few months after Venture is out. We are going to focus on one game at a time.

I spoke with KJMANN12 about disabling the music, he needs to modify the RMT files he sent me to include a blank track so only sound effects play. The way it is currently set up, it needs the song playing to play the sound effects.

• Like 1

I spoke with KJMANN12 about disabling the music, he needs to modify the RMT files he sent me to include a blank track so only sound effects play. The way it is currently set up, it needs the song playing to play the sound effects.

Do you mean "track" or "songline"? Using a blank looping songline is the way "HAR'em" disables music and allows Sfx.

At least I am 95% sure. Havent looked in the code since month and the current game is not in the state where I should care much about music/sfx :(

What about the ability of using the driving controller? This seems like the most logical way to control the game Tempest. I believe atari 8-bit computers can use the type of controller. Just a thought.

Analog, yes, digital, has anyone tested it?

Ignoring for the moment that storing music digitally on an Atari cassette would be ridiculous since the Atari can play the analog track directly, you should know perfectly well that asking if the Atari can play back a digital music stream is meaninglessly vague, because you specified nothing about the encoding format or quality. What you surely meant to ask was what's the maximum sustainable error-corrected digital bitrate that the Atari could read from a cassette tape.