IGNORED

Jan sales chart

sdstuff64

Hehe, and you act suprised? Let's see how many of these are even on the list next month :ponder: I'm sure word will finally get out about DMC2 and The Getaway :D

Sims is on there for obvious reasons as well as GTA VC. ATV and SOCOM are really the only 2 online PS2 games worth it (besides Sims) so that makes sense. Dragon Ball Z is pretty sweet and a decent fighter as well so that makes sense. Yu-Gi-Oh! is pretty much a no brainer too being it's on the GBA. And Madden most likely is on there because there are way too many PS2's on the market :P The one I am totally confused with is #10. Just don't quite get it.........

1 / The Sims / PS2 / EA / $49

2 / The Getaway / PS2 / SCEA / $40

3 / Grand Theft Auto: Vice City / PS2 / EA / $50

4 / Devil May Cry 2 / PS2 / Capcom / $49

5 / SOCOM: U.S. Navy Seals / PS2 / SCEA / $60

6 / Dragon Ball Z Budokai / PS2 / Infogrames / $49

7 / Madden NFL 2003 / PS2 / EA / $49

8 / ATV Offroad Fury 2 / PS2 / SCEA / $40

9 / Yu-Gi-Oh! Eternal / GBA / Konami / $30

10 / Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball / Xbox / Tecmo / $50

Hey WIZ, you should look at the Madden figures as well, 2.5 million I think.

I also think Getaway and DMC2 will fade fast, a bit surprised the SIMS is #1 but it's actually pretty good on PS2.

The real sales to keep an eye on will be Everquest. How it does considering the monthly fee and network adaptors still a bit hard to find.

Jerry

Hey WIZ, you should look at the Madden figures as well, 2.5 million I think.

I also think Getaway and DMC2 will fade fast, a bit surprised the SIMS is #1 but it's actually pretty good on PS2.

The real sales to keep an eye on will be Everquest. How it does considering the monthly fee and network adaptors still a bit hard to find.

Jerry

You mean this ?

Madden 2,525,161 = $124,140,752

:D

Here is a more complete list:

January Hardware Sales

PS2: 448,000 (-84% over December sales)

XBOX: 164,000 (-84%)

GCN: 81,000 (-87%)

GBA: 266,000 (-88%)

Cumulative Installed Base

PS2: 16,318,000

XBOX: 4,765,000

GCN: 3,664,000

GBA: 12,159,000

Software Tie Ratio

PS2: 6.20

XBOX: 4.87

GCN: 4.82

GBA: 2.78

January Software Sales

Rank Title Publisher

1 PS2 THE SIMS Electronic Arts

2 PS2 GRAND THEFT AUTO:VICE Take-Two Interactive

3 PS2 THE GETAWAY Sony

4 PS2 DEVIL MAY CRY 2 Capcom

5 PS2 SOCOM:U.S. NAVY SEALS Sony

6 PS2 DRAGON BALL Z:BUDOKAI Infogrames

7 PS2 MADDEN NFL 2003 Electronic Arts

8 PS2 ATV OFF ROAD FURY 2 Sony

9 XBX DOA: BEACH VOLLEYBALL Tecmo

10 PS2 MORTAL KOMBAT: DEADLY Midway

11 XBX T.CLANCY'S SPLINTER CELL Ubi Soft

12 PS2 T.CLANCYS GHOST RECON Ubi Soft

13 XBX T.CLANCYS GHOST RECON Ubi Soft

14 PS2 LORD OF RINGS: TWO TOWERS Electronic Arts

15 XBX LORD OF RINGS: TWO TOWERS Electronic Arts

16 PS2 KINGDOM HEARTS Electronic Arts

17 XBX PANZER DRAGOON ORTA Sega

18 XBX HALO Microsoft

19 PS2 NBA LIVE 2003 Electronic Arts

20 GBA YU-GI-OH! ETERNAL Konami

21 PS2 WWE: SHUT YOUR MOUTH THQ

22 PS2 BOND 007: NIGHTFIRE Electronic Arts

23 PS2 TIGER WOODS PGA 2003 Electronic Arts

24 GCN LORD OF RINGS: TOWERS Electronic Arts

25 GBA ZELDA: LINK TO PAST Nintendo

Remember, this is all mostly before Nintendo started their current promotion (free game w/ GC). From what I understand, GC sales have jumped up by quite a bit since the start of that promotion. I don't know how many GC games will show up on the Top 10 list, but I'd imagine we'll see a drastic improvement in monthly sales.

I tend to agree. I think GameCube has "turned the corner" now that it has a lot of great franchise titles - a Metroid game, Mario game, StarFox game, and now a Zelda game coming very shortly. You couple this with the fact that three out of those four are being given away with the purchase of a Cube and I think they'll catch up to X-Box in short order. X-Box has always been more heavily promoted (I see three to four ads an hour every night wrestling is on TV) but now I'm also starting to see the Nintendo ads during the same hours for the sales promotion. I think it's just inevitable that they're going to be neck in neck duking it out for the market share behind PS2.

I am sorry, I don't understand what the big deal about sales is? Just because the PS2 has higher game sales doesn't mean the games are great, and just because the sales for GC games are low doesn't mean those games are not great. :?

It seems like you guys are trying to prove something, and I just don't think you have to. The PS2 has higher game sales (IMO):

1. Because it has been out longer than the other 2 systems and thus more people have them, which equals a lot of games sold, and

2. umm well I don't have a 2 :D

I am sorry, I don't understand what the big deal about sales is? Just because the PS2 has higher game sales doesn't mean the games are great, and just because the sales for GC games are low doesn't mean those games are not great.  :?  

I know that and agree with you,a lot of really great games don't sell when they are better than half the crap in to the top ten sales.

Just pointing out how Sony owns us and everybody else.Damn them.

I know that and agree with you,a lot of really great games don't sell when they are better than half the crap in to the top ten sales.

Just pointing out how Sony owns us and everybody else.Damn them.

Hehe, they don't own me. In fact, I only contribute to sales on the PS2 maybe twice a year if that :D And agreed, there are tons of underrated games that deserve to be in that list but never will be. Ah screw it, who cares? I've said it before and I'll say it again, let Sony be #1, that way everyone will want a piece of the $$ and make any crap they can think of, just to make a few bucks. In turn - at least for the most part - the other 2 won't constantly be flooded with shit games. So really, maybe we should thank Sony for being #1.. :P

Just because the PS2 has higher game sales doesn't mean the games are great.

It doesn't necessarily mean the games are great, but on the flip side it doesn't necessarily mean that they are bad, either. The concept of a "great game" is in the eye of the beholder. Over 4.8 million people apparently think Grand Theft Auto: Vice City is "great" enough to be worth buying.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, let Sony be #1, that way everyone will want a piece of the $$ and make any crap they can think of, just to make a few bucks. In turn - at least for the most part - the other 2 won't constantly be flooded with shit games.

All of the systems have their share of good games and bad games. Sure, the PS2 has more bad games than the GameCube or X-Box; it also has a lot more good games than the other two. That's expected when you realize that the PS2 has a wider selection games than the other two combined.

No one is buying that old "our system has less software because the hardware manufacturer enforces higher standards of quality" baloney anymore. That's historically been the rallying cry bandied about by supporters of a system that is floundering in software support. I haven't really seen any system in the last 7 years that had an exceptionally high ratio of good to bad games when compared to their contemporaries. The other systems don't necessarily have better games--that's a matter of opinion. They merely have less games, and that's a matter of fact.

Do you also hold boycotts against compact discs or videocasettes because there are a lot of music and movies out there that don't appeal to you?

No one is forcing system owners to buy the complete library of games. Just buy the games you really like, and leave the rest on the shelves.

It doesn't necessarily mean the games are great, but on the flip side it doesn't necessarily mean that they are bad, either. The concept of a "great game" is in the eye of the beholder. Over 4.8 million people apparently think Grand Theft Auto: Vice City is "great" enough to be worth buying.

Or it was hyped so much that everyone just believed they needed to buy it.......

All of the systems have their share of good games and bad games. Sure, the PS2 has more bad games than the GameCube or X-Box; it also has a lot more good games than the other two. That's expected when you realize that the PS2 has a wider selection games than the other two combined.

No one is buying that old "our system has less software because the hardware manufacturer enforces higher standards of quality" baloney anymore. That's historically been the rallying cry bandied about by supporters of a system that is floundering in software support. I haven't really seen any system in the last 7 years that had an exceptionally high ratio of good to bad games when compared to their contemporaries. The other systems don't necessarily have better games--that's a matter of opinion. They merely have less games, and that's a matter of fact.

Do you also hold boycotts against compact discs or videocasettes because there are a lot of music and movies out there that don't appeal to you?

No one is forcing system owners to buy the complete library of games. Just buy the games you really like, and leave the rest on the shelves.

Hmm, pretty good points. Well except in one part you say good games are in the eye of the beholder, then a little later you say the PS2 has more good games. Of course, maybe you were just backing your statement that good games are a matter of opinion , therefore you stated your opinion.:D

And if you are under the impression that I boycott, nope I don't. I buy what I want and that's about all. I really didn't quite understand that part of your reply, so if you were just saying that as a general rhetorical question, my bad :)

Hardware manufactures have always claimed that they have "High Standards of quality" for the games for their systems and yet, I've never seen it implemented. But, that is an industry standard and just goes with the territory. And you are 100% correct that nobody forces anyone to buy every game, but I gotta tell ya, it sure is a ton easier looking thru a few games and spotting good ones than sifting thru tons of crap hoping to find a good one ;)

But to be honest, I have never really been too impressed with either Playstation - even when that was my only system set up to play at the time (even though I had/have tons more). They both seem to be lacking something but I just can't place it. I have always favored the underdog systems. The Turbo Grafx, Neo Geo, Jaguar, and now the XBox just to name a few. I like the freshness of them - no expectations to live up to, no need to worry about old games updated slightly and a 2 thrown on the end of the title, and in general, the fact that so many unique games come out on them because there is nothing to lose. And like Foxy said, sales don't really matter unless it's your companies product on the chart. But no matter what, I will always believe a company being #1 in sales may not always be the greatest thing .........

Well if greatness is determined by sales than that means PC's are better than MAC's because they sell more.

Unless you have stock in the company or work for them and get bonus's based on sales, what difference does it make. Everyone posts these sales statistics like they prove something, IMO they don't. Just because a company can slam the airwaves and media with ad's and brainwash the public into thinking they need to have something, and the public buying into it, just proves the public are suckers. :D

digging up an old Mac user comeback...

Cockroaches and rats outnumber human beings :P

face it, people are sheep, and in an industry driven by kids/teens, theyll buy whatever they see on TV. I agree with foxy, sales numbers do not mean anything, and i never understand why people outside the industry really care about numbers. The same goes for music and movies as well. If something sells really well, it doesnt mean that the game is good or bad, but it does mean that its been boiled down to the lowest common denominator.

face it, people are sheep, and in an industry driven by kids/teens, theyll buy whatever they see on TV.   I agree with foxy, sales numbers do not mean anything, and i never understand why people outside the industry really care about numbers.  The same goes for music and movies as well.  If something sells really well, it doesnt mean that the game is good or bad, but it does mean that its been boiled down to the lowest common denominator.

LOL, perfect example of that would be "Backstreet Boys".

I am sorry, I don't understand what the big deal about sales is? Just because the PS2 has higher game sales doesn't mean the games are great, and just because the sales for GC games are low doesn't mean those games are not great.  :?

For the same reasons it matters that Atari was dominant 1979-85, Nintendo 86-95, Sony 96-03. The most popular systems have the largest libraries, because they draw the most developers to their systems. And that equals better gaming options for us and more variety and more choices.

On the other end of the spectrum, the bottom console typically has fewer games worth playing (N64), and might even disappear (Dreamcast, Atari Jaguar). And that hurts us: Less games, less variety, more boredom.

So yeah, the popularity (or NON-popularity) of a system does matter to the common person.

For the same reasons it matters that Atari was dominant 1979-85, Nintendo 86-95, Sony 96-03.  The most popular systems have the largest libraries, because they draw the most developers to their systems.  And that equals better gaming options for us and more variety and more choices.

On the other end of the spectrum, the bottom console typically has fewer games worth playing (N64), and might even disappear (Dreamcast, Atari Jaguar).  And that hurts us: Less games, less variety, more boredom.

So yeah, the popularity (or NON-popularity) of a system does matter to the common person.

Just because something is popular, does not mean it is good. I will agree that many people follow trends simply so they can be like everyone else, look like everyone else, act like everyone else, because they are to scared to actually have a personality of their own, but honestly what does it prove that Tommy Hilfinger can sell a butt load of clothes? Does that make his brand of jeans better than say Levi's, or Wrangler? If it makes someone feel good to quote a bunch of sales figures to "prove" look how good I am, great do it. I personally don't give a rat's furry butt, and it does not impress me, or make me think, "Geez I might be missing something here."

Sales figures interest me for one reason: they often dictate whether or not a game gets a sequel. In fact, Sega has said that they'll consider another Panzer Dragoon RPG if Orta sells, so naturally, I was watching the charts to see where it rated. The seventeenth spot on the list doesn't look so great, but at least it's up there.

And I'll check the sales charts next month to see if .hack, Guilty Gear X2, and Xenosaga did well.