IGNORED

just picked up a first gen iMac

I bought what I believe is a first generation iMac from the Goodwill depot connected to my work. All of the previous content has been wiped clean but the OS is still intact! I think that everything works. My thoughts so far: this is a cool little computer (though perhaps not so little). When I turn it on, I immidiately hear the CTR firing up; reminds me of a television. The computer is fast, much faster than my laptop which is about ten years newer. I suppose that the OS is very lean and there are no programs booting up at startup (there are hardly any programs at all on the machine). Audio quality is WONDERFUL. The speakers in this beast really hit, and the sound is crisp and clear.

So what else can I do with this beast? Any cool games or creative apps for a Mac of this vintage? And do I dare update iTunes?

Comment and discuss!

is is mac os 9.2 or X?

there is a pile of stuff that will run on it very well in 9 as its an older OS so theres years of backlog from the entire PPC family ... theres a bunch of stuff for OSX as well but now your reaching upto the multighz G5 era where the original imac's can be a bit lacking in horsepower

course theres not much stopping you from getting them both and multibooting, maybe even toss some linux on it

Edited by Osgeld

Yea get some quake going on there...... and oh oh the REAPER BOT MOD! I passed on one of those at value village the other day. They wanted 6 bucks for it. It didn't have the keyboard or mouse or I'd have grabbed it. It was a nice green. I think that value village thought it was just a monitor cuz they had other crappy monitors for the same price. I always hope I'll find an old atari or commodore in with the 99 cent keyboards at goodwill but that's probably dreaming.