IGNORED

Mouse Adaptor

Here's mine assembled. It came with a piece of white tubing to conceal the PCB but nothing to stop it floating out of the ends, so I used two gromets squashed flat so it snuggly fits and holds each end in.

I configured mine for my Amiga, I might get another for the ST - it's just a case of switching two wires around so if you've got a small enough double throw switch you could put a toggle for ST / Amiga.

MouseAdaptor.jpg

Edited by GadgetUK
  • Like 1

Hi GadgetUK,

It seems an interesting device but the 9-pin mouse connector seems far too big to fit in the mouse port of a 1040ST because of the screws at the side of the connector. Did you use a mouse extension cable or does it fit?

Robert

I'd thought about getting something like this, similar stuff has been around for decades, I think you can buy PS/1&2 mice adapters from Best E. and B&C. But instead, I think I'm going to get a USB adapter that's out for Atari 16/32 computers, which ironically, the only thing they are currently cable of is using cordless USB mice with them (the only driver developed that is) and I have one for my PC that I could use with my Falcon. I think they plug into the cartridge port.

Of course I have a lot of PS/1&2 mice around also...

But I've no immediate need, my ST mouse is still working.

Edited by Gunstar

That's a good point, tbh I only ever use mouse and joystick extenders with the ST as its a pain swapping them and you only end up needing to resolder the ports again after lots of use...

It is indeed painful to swap. Thats why I added an extra 9 pin connector at the side of my 1040ST were I can plug in a joystick. Using a toggle switch I can switch between the mouse and the joystick.

Robert

• 2 months later...

Since i've got into PIC programming I am thinking about producing a PS/2 socket which could be fitted into an ST case, and have it auto switch between the primary joystick port. Just need to think of the best place to mount such a PCB. I am also wondering what other interesting things we could do with PIC chips in an ST, any ideas?

The only trouble is that it's now been *years* since new PS/2 mice have been available. A modern USB adaptor would be ideal.

This adaptor....

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1207846730531?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=120784673053&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

.....has been written about many times in this thread.....

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/163201-usb-to-atari-mouse-adapter/

.....but it's not really "USB." It's appealing to the PS/2 character of old mice that are *both* USB and PS/2, but it doesn't require the USB-to-PS/2 adaptor.

It works great, and I highly recommend it, but the price has been rising steadlly, while commensurately, the number of mice that are compatible continues to dwindle. I say get them while you can, and make for sure that it's an optical mouse. Otherwise, you may as well get a new/rebuilt Atari STM1 original mouse.