IGNORED

wii u crashes?

Jinks

Well the u is a pos.. just did the new update and nfsmw u loaded and crashed total lockup. Had to hold power on till would reset.. good thing just got a 360 kinet system my kid won in a contest... although it sucks without making a stupid account... has 5 demos tho..

So you had a single lockup and that automatically means the system is garbage? There's many reasons that could have happened. As toptenmaterial said, call Nintendo if it continues to happen.

I also find it funny you're willing to move to a 360 as a more reliable system, as it's one of the least reliable consoles on the market. The newer units have improved in reliability, but I even had one of the latest Kinect models die a couple months ago.

• Like 2

I am just used to the bulletproof nintendo of the past. It`s happened couple more times now. I guess they are modern hard core now. The 360 kinect was brand new free. Would have never bought it. It needs xbox live activated to be usefull. cant even netflix the damn thing.

I have played nfsmw u lots of times without failure. There is more updates coming for the u and will likely make the system more stable.

Oh another thing the U likes you to wait for each process to finish. like if you power on and press netflix right away while its starting up and loading the miis you can be almost certain will lock up. Kinda like a computer opening up too many apps at once. let the miis fill the screen never lock up..

I've had my Wii U since Christmas and I think I've had 2, maybe 3 at the most, times when the system froze and I had to unplug it from the wall to get control back. Been months since the last time it happened so its not a problem for me.

I've had my Wii U since Christmas and I think I've had 2, maybe 3 at the most, times when the system froze and I had to unplug it from the wall to get control back. Been months since the last time it happened so its not a problem for me.

Same here, but it has only happened while using the web browser for flash or html5 player for me. It really hasn't put me off since my PS3's browser did that every so often when I used it for flash videos.

Some/most lockups are sure to be resolved with future software updates. The question remains, are any lockups due to hardware problems? Only time will answer that one and I think it's a bit early to tell.

Edited by JamesD

Ok try this. go on netflix. watch a bit of a show. press the home button. select nintendo shop channel. will then see info about netflix. then press front page. will see a white screen and crash. does this for me every time... Poor software programming methinks. bigtime.. when you do this do not close software when you press home button. follow the steps exactly as i said.. lemme know??

At least it can be restarted from the gamepad. nfsmw u locked again. thought it was off and next day turned the tv on to see the game on and buzzing(all fimiliar crash beeping sound like you pulled a cart on a 2600 running)and frozen on a driving screen. The gamepad powered on and said the console is out of range and was right beside it reset at console and then fixed the problem.

Edited by Jinks

Forgetting about the Wii U and then it goes to sleep automatically is a fairly consistent way to get games to crash. When I see the warning about automatic power down I just recycle the power.

Otherwise, it has worked well. The netflix app on our blue ray player is completely worthless, crashing frequently, or stopping in the middle of a movie. The Wii U's Netflix app is much more stable.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've been using my Wii U almost exclusively this last week, and I've had it crash a handful of times at varying moments. The most frequent occurrence seems to be when exiting an application. Yesterday after using Netflix, the screen faded black, and then the console locked up. Holding down the power button didn't work and I had to pull the power from the wall outlet. Tonight the system locked up at the loading screen after exiting YouTube. It was still making the usual sound it would at that screen, but it just sat there for twenty minutes. Powering down with the tablet from there didn't work, but holding down the power button on the console did. I wonder what causes these lockups? Has anyone else been experiencing them more frequently now?

I have yet to experience a crash, though as I mentioned earlier, my first unit came bricked. The funny thing is that the Wii U has 2 gigs of RAM- though this seems dated in relation to gaming computers and the upcoming consoles, it should be enough to take care of business. And one gig is dedicated to the OS (not sure if this helps non-game app performance). Admittedly I don't know much about computers, but I would assume that more RAM (and I would think that 2 gigs is enough) should help prevent crashes.

Well there is probably some poor coding on the part of the firmware. It definitely seems sluggish to me. Ideally with video game hardware, the software is all optimized for it so it'll run better even on relatively poor hardware vs. a personal computer. IMO there's no reason the firmware should run poorly (did they not know the specs when they wrote the code for it?) but I guess if the hardware wasn't finalized or they tried to get to much performance out of the 2 gig...well there you go.