IGNORED

Complex games

lament

How are you defining "complex"?

As far as 2600 titles go, I'd say the ones that, as a kid, I thought had a lot of "game" to play before you won. Not just simple objectives like: Gobble up all of the dots or Shoot everything that comes at you!

Mind you, there are some great games where that is all you do, but "complex" to me would include the following:

Adventure( Atari ): As a kid, this was great because there were all these places to explore and items to find! Great game!

Swordquest: Earthworld( Atari ): I found this game to be TOO complex and therefore too hard to keep my interest for very long!

Maze Craze( Atari ): I was always a "mazed" at all the various maze combinations and variations that could be played! Great game!

Pitfall!( Activision ): Of course, since there was endless exploring one could do with Harry! Great game!

Tutakhum( PB ): Lots of treasures and danger and secret passages! Great game!

Raiders of the Lost Ark( Atari ): Again, lots of different places to travel around to and things to get! Though I could never find the Ark, the game was fun!

Ghost Manor(XONOX): several different screens in a spooky castle! Fun!

Spike's Peak(XONOX): This one was harder and therefore not as fun, but still a complex game!

Star Raiders( Atari ): didn't hold my interest for very long since it was so complex! This was because I didn't understand how to use the TouchPad and so I'd just fly around thru empty space for awhile and get bored with it!

Riddle of the Sphinx( Imagic ): Lots of things to do and lots of items to acquire! Great game!

The above is based on games I played as a kid, so it doesn't account for my opinions of those games now.

Any of the 'classics' (Checkers, Bridge, Video Chess, Backgammon etc.) are tough games to beat & very enjoyable to play. I would also include some of the homebrew titles here too, such as Mental Kombat, Qb & Jammed. 8)

Star Raiders has a relatively high degree of player involvement, looking after your ship, keeping tabs on your enemies & shoot 'em up stuff.

Some of the sports titles are also good for this; Summer & Winter Games, Track & Field etc. IMO Super Football deserves a mention too, as there are more tactical demands made on gamers as compared with Football.