IGNORED

GameGavel - Atari Air Raid - Ends Today!

Parrothead

I'm sure it is worth more than $1600..

Its worth is what people perceive it to be worth to them. The recent high profile auctions of other Air Raid carts filled the need of the people that absolutely had to have the cart and have no worries about spending any amount of money on that kind of thing. I'm guessing that as more appear, the price will come down to the point that more money conscious folks would be comfortable at. At this point, $1600 may be that point. Who knows?

I'm sure it is worth more than $1600..

I always find things like this funny. Had he never seen the news/etc this likely would have ended up going to goodwill or "$50 for the atari box in a garage sale" or something. Now that he knows it's valuable, he will likely want TOP dollar/etc, same story everytime. Should have just let the auction run, no reserve, and been happy he just got $1600 for something there family thought was worthless for all these years. Just my opinion...

• Like 1

SIDE DEAL!

Perhaps, as it is always a possibility, but I certainly have not been approached as of yet. I'm also confused with the bidding system over at GameGavel. Just why the hell does a bid immediately jump to the max by itself? And lastly, yes, I agree, something is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay.

Perhaps, as it is always a possibility, but I certainly have not been approached as of yet. I'm also confused with the bidding system over at GameGavel. Just why the hell does a bid immediately jump to the max by itself? And lastly, yes, I agree, something is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay.

Hey Supergun,

Yes, our system jumps to the bidders max bid only if the Reserve Price isn't met, because it won't sell anyway. If there is no reserve bid amount, or if the reserve bid is met, then the system will bid incrementally on the buyers behalf up to their max bid amount. Thanks for bidding on this btw, and sorry the reserve wasn't met on this one.

Edited by Parrothead

Its worth is what people perceive it to be worth to them. The recent high profile auctions of other Air Raid carts filled the need of the people that absolutely had to have the cart and have no worries about spending any amount of money on that kind of thing. I'm guessing that as more appear, the price will come down to the point that more money conscious folks would be comfortable at. At this point, $1600 may be that point. Who knows?

For $1600, it's worth buying to stick in my trade box :)

For $1600, it's worth buying to stick in my trade box :)

If I had $1600 sitting around unused, I can guaran-damn-tee you that it wouldn't go into a single game for my collection. Especially one for a trade box. In 20+ years of collecting I've never spent more than $100 on a single game and never will. That kind of money in my mind is always better spent anywhere other than a hobby.

If I had $1600 sitting around unused, I can guaran-damn-tee you that it wouldn't go into a single game for my collection. Especially one for a trade box. In 20+ years of collecting I've never spent more than $100 on a single game and never will. That kind of money in my mind is always better spent anywhere other than a hobby.

It's all relative to your income, why you collect, what you want to collect, and what you're comfortable with. There are plenty of people that would spend that kind of money on a game. Everyone's limits are different, for different reasons.

It's all relative to your income, why you collect, what you want to collect, and what you're comfortable with. There are plenty of people that would spend that kind of money on a game. Everyone's limits are different, for different reasons.

You are correct. It is all relative. For me, the money isn't actually the issue. It's just the idea of spending any significant sums on something that in my mind really shouldn't be worth anything. I'll always look back on the games in my collection as a source of memories and NEVER as an investment. I detest the fact that a portion of this hobby has gotten prohibitively expensive, but there's nothing I can do about that. I'll continue to collect how I want and others will drop 10-15K per year (or more) on the hobby with no concerns. That's the world today I guess.

• Like 2

You are correct. It is all relative. For me, the money isn't actually the issue. It's just the idea of spending any significant sums on something that in my mind really shouldn't be worth anything. I'll always look back on the games in my collection as a source of memories and NEVER as an investment. I detest the fact that a portion of this hobby has gotten prohibitively expensive, but there's nothing I can do about that. I'll continue to collect how I want and others will drop 10-15K per year (or more) on the hobby with no concerns. That's the world today I guess.

I think most collectors (yes even hardcore collectors) do it for the LOVE of the hobby not for an investment!

Rick

• Like 1