IGNORED

RPG and Strategy games for the Wii?

jhd

A store near where I live has a big display of the new Wii minis. I stop to think about them every time that I pass-by. (I currently have a PS 2 and I am looking to expand my gaming horizons.)

I am primarily interested in Role Playing and Strategy games, but much of what I seen (at local retail) for the Wii does not really appeal to me.

So, are there any good titles in these genres that are still available at retail? I do not have the desire (or time) to scour eBay and used game stores for rare, out-of-print titles.

I know that the mini cannot run homebrew and virtual console games; my home Internet access is limited (at best) so this is not an issue for me.

A store near where I live has a big display of the new Wii minis. I stop to think about them every time that I pass-by. (I currently have a PS 2 and I am looking to expand my gaming horizons.)

I am primarily interested in Role Playing and Strategy games, but much of what I seen (at local retail) for the Wii does not really appeal to me.

So, are there any good titles in these genres that are still available at retail? I do not have the desire (or time) to scour eBay and used game stores for rare, out-of-print titles.

I know that the mini cannot run homebrew and virtual console games; my home Internet access is limited (at best) so this is not an issue for me.

Not sure of retail but the Last Blade and Xenoblade Chronicles is pretty good.

Actually make a note of all these games when you visit retail:

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

Muramasa: The Demon Blade

Monster Hunter Tri (sort of an RPG game)

Zelda games

Arc Rise Fantasia is another. The voice acting is god awful, but it's a good game.

The Last story is excellent but short, and Xenoblade is amazing but out of print at this point unless you get über lucky at a GameStop. Pandoras Tower is also good, but that's more an action RPG.

I would avoid the Wii Mini if possible. It's not just offline-only, it also lacks SD Support, GameCube compatibility, any aesthetic sensibility... And freaking component out. Trouble is, it's about the only Wii you'll find at retail these days, unless you want to step it up to the Wii U ( which is what I would probably do if I didn't already have a Wii).

As for currently available games.... Best Buys and Wal Marts should have Last Story and Pandora's Tower. Both are great. If you browse the used games at GameStop, try to find Tales of Symphonia, Xenoblade (ha!), and Zack and Wiki. Okay, so that last one isn't an RPG, but you'll like it.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions -- there is a much better selection of titles than I was aware of.

I wil check-out Gamestop and Wal-Mart (both have locations conveniently close to my place) and see what is available.

Edited by jhd

I guess I am just too cheap to buy a Wii...

Many of the games listed above are available, but I was shocked at the prices. I acquired both the PSX and PS 2 very late in their respective life-cycles, and I found numerous games (both new and used) for under $20, and often for under $10. I can count on one hand the number of times that I paid more than $40 for a game.

Pandora's Tower runs $60, and most of the other games I saw were between $30 to $50. Even the dump-bin, shovelware games at Wal-Mart (e.g. The Bachelor, Coldstone Creamery) were priced around $15! :roll: The cheapest title that I saw was Zelda: Twilight Princess for $14 (used) at Gamestop.

Well, I'm located North of the 49th parallel and things always cost more here -- even when the exchange rate is in our favour!

I have checked Gamestop and Wal-Mart and they are both at the same price. Target just opened about a local store about six weeks ago and it is very inconviently located, so I have not been there yet. No other retailer has much of a selection of Wii games.

Well, I'm located North of the 49th parallel and things always cost more here -- even when the exchange rate is in our favour!

I have checked Gamestop and Wal-Mart and they are both at the same price. Target just opened about a local store about six weeks ago and it is very inconviently located, so I have not been there yet. No other retailer has much of a selection of Wii games.

I'm in Canada as well but it was still 49 at wal-mart for me...