IGNORED

What about unboxed Homebrew/Conversion releases?

I love all the new releases for Colecovision, Intellivision, Atari,.....

but my personal life has changed and from a big house with a lot of room I am now in an appartment.

Teampixelboy, Collectorvision can agree that I am buying a lot of their new releases

but now a problem of available space is beginning to appear, I still want to buy new releases

but there is no way , I can keep all the boxes in my appt

I will stuff them in boxes in my parents garage

it is such a shame to buy items that are not cheap (but worth their prices) and cant admire them.

It would be so great if you guys that publish those new games offer the option to buy the games without the boxes, thanks for your understanding....

Well, at least you're not begging for ROMs... :ponder:

Do me a favor: Send an e-mail to Nintendo (or any other current-gen gaming company) and tell them that their packaging is too bulky for the amount of storage room that you have, and that you would like to purchase their games in disc-only format, with no manuals. When you receive a response from Nintendo (or whoever else you decide to contact), post this response here, in this thread. We could all use a good laugh. :twisted:

The games guys like me, Opcode or CollectorVision offer may be homebrew products, but we're making them with full-blown boxes and manuals because we're living the dream of releasing games just like it was done (commercially) when we were kids. Today, we have access to all the editing/printing/manufacturing resources we need to make this dream happen, and we're not going to hold back. And we're certainly not going to "disolve" our product lines by making CIB and cart-only versions of our releases. It's a one-size-fits-all situation. Boxes and manuals are expensive to produce and homebrewers like me do not want to stay stuck with unused boxes we paid good money to have printed.

For my part, I have already released Gulkave, Girl's Garden and Peek-a-boo in ROM format online, and you can guess that more ROMs will come along eventually. So if storage space is that important to you, get yourself an AtariMax USB or SD cartridge, put all available ROMs on it, and patiently wait for homebrewers to release the ROMs of their games. When space is an issue, sometimes you just have to make hard choices, and this is the best solution for saving space in your small appartment.

• Like 1

Well,

I don't think I will ever go into that route....

As Pixelboy said, we are pretty happy to be able to make full release including box and manual

And its already a big task to be able to sell all the production of a game

The thing is when our games goes sold-out. We release the rom files so people can enjoy them off their Atarimax SD cart

And, I'm about to post some new ones soon too! ;)

Edited by retroillucid

I dont want to start a war and it was just an observation , Luc and JF you know i am the one to support your products but, even if you are degrading tone implying if i am too poor to have a bigger appt i shouldnt collect physical media, i still appreciate what you are offering, what does it cost to make a small cartridge and manual quantity? Atariage is offering both for some of their games and it doesnt seem to be a problem...i think it is a waste of material and money to have boxes i cant appreciate as they should be...

There is still a difference between collecting only cart/manual and roms....

• Like 1

I think you can continue to purpose new complete games (with full packaging) and, when the stock becomes low, you can offer a little quantity of cartridges without packaging.

As Lucifershalo says, AtariAge do that for some games (princess rescue, etc.) and a company like Retrozone too (for NES homebrew games like Battle Kid series, etc.).

Offering the rom is a very good idea of course but for some games, we love to have the pleasure to insert the real cartridge, without using our loved Atarimax! And sometimes we don't want to wait until the release of the rom. Gulkave, peek a boo and girl's garden have been published lots of months before! It is not human to have to wait so long before playing these cool games!

Too, buying just the cart is a way to buy your games a bit cheaper, because all people don't have enough money for but would like to do their best to buy a maximum of games.

Actually, it becomes impossible for me to buy every new homebrew Colecovision game. I have to make choice.

I collect loose original colecovision games. If i could buy all the original games CIB for the price of colecovision homebrew games i would go that route. 50 dollars or less is cheap for a game with such a limited release. If you dont want the box and manual you could always sell them on ebay. Doing that would most likely get you most if not all of the original purchase price.

If you dont want the box and manual you could always sell them on ebay. Doing that would most likely get you most if not all of the original purchase price.

Not likely...

If there is never a "cart only" release of these games, then there will never be "loose" copies available in the market. Based on that, the only people who would want the box for these games are the folks who bought a CIB copy and damaged their own at some point...unless someone thinks that by some stroke of luck, another person will one day sell the cart, all by itself.

Not likely...

If there is never a "cart only" release of these games, then there will never be "loose" copies available in the market. Based on that, the only people who would want the box for these games are the folks who bought a CIB copy and damaged their own at some point...unless someone thinks that by some stroke of luck, another person will one day sell the cart, all by itself.

It may take a couple years before you could sell it for much. But eventually it would become a sought after item. Either to the person who damaged /threw away there box or to the collector who is happy to have part of the game. (because its rare and something is better than nothing)

of course, I can

but I am not collecting to put in boxes

I like to play the games

and if I dont like the game anymore I will sell it

yes, I am one of those guys that is PLAYING games ;)

and for the boxes if I cant look at them well the pleasure to have them is not there

but yes as Luc said that he is not planning any unboxed games, I will do that

Well, homebrew releases are made in relatively small numbers, there is a lot of economy of scale in printing costs, most buyers prefer boxed games.

So if I offered unboxed versions of my homebrew games the price difference would be less than 10%. I guess that's not worth it in general.

On the other hand I am planning to release Cye 1.2 later this year, and I intend to make at most 50 carts (since many gamers will already have an earlier Cye release). I haven't decided about the box yet (previous Cye games used square boxes like SCJ2, current games uses boxes with more stnadard dimensions). Maybe I should consider not using a box at all. Or just use rather simple boxes this time.

Philipp

I like your thinking there Dan. Let all these "no box guys" send there unneeded boxes to us for the cost of shipping. I know I could find a lot of good uses for them or just sit on them for 10 years until loose carts of the games start showing up for sale.