IGNORED

Genesis Portable 80 in 1, any good?

Gp2x Wiz was a system made by the now defunct game park holdings. It is very similar to the Dingoo.

In my opinion, the Wiz has a more solid feel and a better display (OLED), although it's not without its share of problems (some people reported 'screen rot' after a period of time, the built in screen rotation routines cause a lot of diagonal tearing if they're used, and the time it takes to boot is a little annoying). I have both units, and the things that work well on the Wiz, I prefer to play on the Wiz. Or at least I used to. Now that I have an Android phone, I do a lot more stuff on it than I did on my other handhelds (and it helps that gamepads like the GameTel are available).

• 4 months later...

I dug up my AtGames little Genesis and had a bunch of fun with it yesterday ... part of me wants to sit down with some old magazines and just browse titles I never played when they were new. Quick question for those of you who have these: is the orange 20-game version essentially the same machine as the blue 80-game (well, really "just" 40 real Genesis titles)?

I have the orange 6-button 20-game version. I mostly love it, but if the blue one has a better screen or sound emulation, I would think about upgrading it. The extra games don't really sway me (since my SD card is stuffed anyway), and as Algus said, there are enough arcade games on the platform that lack of a save system isn't a problem. If I really wanted to play Phantasy Star II again after all these years, I have plenty of other options for that.

I've been seeing the 60 GAME systems at retail lately...was it made later? Why lose 20 games? Maybe it's just older stock found in the warehouses they are trying to move, as if it was skipped over while pushing out the 80 GAME systems.

AtGames' 60-game Sega Genesis plug-n-play systems were released late last year, alongside their Atari Flashback 64 (which itself was also a cut-down version of a 2012 AtGames product). I saw both of them together at a Walmart store at that time and wrote this post about them, including the Genesis system's game list (for the 20 Genesis games on it, not the 40 generics).

or maybe they got rid of the crappy non-Genesis games that nobody wanted in the first place.

probably not. most likely some licenses expired and they lost 20 actual titles from the Genny catalog.

I don't think it was a case of licenses expiring but rather a desire to justify budget pricing for the 2013 releases when compared to their beefier 2012 predecessors (i.e., the 80-in-1 Genesis system and the Atari Flashback 4). AtGames is still making Sega and Atari systems this year, after all, with 80 planned games and 100 planned games, respectively.

If you want to directly compare the games lists of the 2012 80-in-1 and the 2013 60-in-1 systems, refer to my listing of all retro plug-n-play game systems contents (that I know about). Search for "sega gen 80-in-1" and "sega gen 60-in-1" on that page.

I wish I knew why Toys 'R Us has the ColecoVision Flashback classified under "Home Theater Systems" instead of with the other AtGames retro systems under "Electronic & Interactive Games."

onmode-ky

Thanks, we don't have those super-close by but I will check it out next time I'm near a walmart. It's probably just as well I'm not tempting my poor impulse control, especially with better stuff on the way in the fall.

AtGames goes to E3, right? Maybe we will see something there.