IGNORED

Don Mattrick to Soldiers: Buy an Xbox 360 if you want to play

iswitt

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2013/06/12/microsofts-don-mattrick-offers-some-advice-soldiers-buy-xbox-360#comment-287770

What... the... fuck.

MS's PR department must being crapping themselves right now. He's basically telling the military boys to screw off if they want Xbox One. Can't connect to the Internet on your warship when you want to some downtime from protecting American freedom? Too bad. Get a 360 instead and deal with it.

• Like 2

Meh. If you want to play Xbox One, don't risk your life for your country. Seems pretty easy.

And also, don't lose your job and cut back your internet service for the sake of your budget and your family eating. If you HAVE to do that, then you should lose access to the console and games you own, because being out of work won't be punishment enough if you can still play games to help with the stress.

And also, if your internet provider has problems for a full day, don't play offline games, because you're ISP sucks. You should get a better ISP, and if you don't screw you. Your games should be held hostage because your ISP is having problems, dummy.

And also, if your internet speed is too slow where you live, move. Why are you living there? What, you want to play Batman offline? Too bad, your internet is too slow to play Batman offline. Grow up and move.

Geez. What is wrong with everyone? If you want to play games offline, especially ones where online is completely unimportant, you better have internet, and it better be fast, and it better be good. Is that such a difficult concept? Stop being a bunch of babies and meet harsh online requirements to play offline. Simple.

Now, if everyone understands that, on to eating. If you want something cold to eat, your oven better be turned on. If not, we're shutting off your fridge.

• Like 7

He used a submarine crewman as an example of a person who can't use the internet. Man, I bet the people in charge of the Xbox brand wished they were in a submarine right now.

Tools like Mattrick have been rich for most/all of their lives and simply can't comprehend that life isn't as convenient for the rest of us. There was a map of the world posted on Tumblr recently, revealing that at least 60% of the planet doesn't have internet access and thus could not use an Xbox One. Microsoft is not only ignoring this reality, but replacing it with one of their own.

Get out of the video game industry, Microsoft. You're through here.

• Like 1

Tools like Mattrick have been rich for most/all of their lives and simply can't comprehend that life isn't as convenient for the rest of us. There was a map of the world posted on Tumblr recently, revealing that at least 60% of the planet doesn't have internet access and thus could not use an Xbox One. Microsoft is not only ignoring this reality, but replacing it with one of their own.

Yeah, but it's mostly the poor parts, so MS doesn't care. The bigger issue is that they are requiring internet to play games without using the internet. They are putting a hurdle in the way of a good offline experience in exchange for gamers getting, wait for it, NOTHING. Even if 100% of everyone had the required type of internet, they are still adding something that can go wrong (and at some point, for a lot of people, for a lot of reasons will go wrong) and giving you NOTHING.

Here's an example: You are a brain damaged person and you are playing the XBone that came free with your tickets to a group suicide, and some part of the internet stuff in your XBone gives out. Sad. It's going to suck having to deal with MS to get that replaced, especially with that group suicide coming up. Anyway, you can't get around to sending it in for the next few days, and that new Arkam game you pre-ordered comes out tomorrow. Perhaps you'll wait to send it in until after you play that game you're all excited about. Oh no! 24 hours from now you can't play it because something broke in your Xbone that has nothing to do with playing a game offline. Your problem. What do you get in exchange for that possibility? NOTHING.

Another example: You are a Bell Customer here in Canada. Obviously something happens and your internet doesn't work for a day (probably the router they "upgraded" you to doesn't work) because hey, Bell. As part of signing up for Bell, Satan also forced an XBone on you. Well, you say, may as well download some old school, 2D, offline stuff. Oops. You get Belled and now you have no internet until they send someone to give you another broken router. Hope you didn't also want to play that game this week. In exchange for this possibility you get: NOTHING.

That is the issue here. Even barring anyone not having the internet, they are introducing a bunch of other situations that can cause you to not be able to play your games and they are giving you jack, freaking, squat in return. N. O. T. H. I. N. G. And some of the most deeply entrenched Xbox fans are lapping it up. Insane.

• Like 1

Xbox One has stated a 1.5mbps minimum speed requirement.

I'm sure the majority of households can handle it?

you can always move to south korea to get the best internet.... oh wait the xbox one isn't supported there

Seriously? Why wouldn't they be marketing it in South Korea?

One of my former cooworkers was a Navy man. He traded me his TurboGrafx 16 with carrying case he used while on call. No way a device that records 3D telemetry and sends it off to the Internet would be allowed on ship. Forget loose lips sinking ships: the Kinect 2 is far worse.

That is actually a really good point. And another reason why Kinect should not have been made integral to the console.

• Like 1

Damn, I can't even begin to understand the logic behind that statement. M$ is basically telling you to buy the product that their new one IS MEANT TO REPLACE. So either accept these new DRM restrictions/connection requirements/mandatory Kinect interface or... just buy last year's model and hope that someone keeps making games for it. Christ, what a PR fucking nightmare they're cooked up here. They seem to be going out of their way to do everything wrong with this new console. All I can say is, come holiday season, vote with your wallets people, vote with your wallets.

One of my former cooworkers was a Navy man. He traded me his TurboGrafx 16 with carrying case he used while on call. No way a device that records 3D telemetry and sends it off to the Internet would be allowed on ship. Forget loose lips sinking ships: the Kinect 2 is far worse.

Getting it aboard shouldn't be a problem, though I suspect that getting it the internet connection it needs to live would be more of a hassle. If you ever wonder why modern console games have LAN connect features instead of forcing everybody online, this is a pretty big part of the reason.

It's a bummer that microsoft is throwing away customers like this, though. While I was in the service, I only knew a few people with ps3's, most had 360's. Since everybody moved so damn much, xbox live provided a nice service to keep in touch with folks who had transferred. PS3 wasn't nearly as good at that, but I didn't really feel the need to keep up with folks.

Edited by Reaperman

Xbox One has stated a 1.5mbps minimum speed requirement.

I'm sure the majority of households can handle it?

you can always move to south korea to get the best internet.... oh wait the xbox one isn't supported there

Where I just moved from was not exactly "off the grid" and the only way I could get 1.5mbps was HughesNet and that works like shit for gaming purposes. I have a friend who doesn't have internet per se, but just uses data on their iPads. Oh and he also has a PS3 and plays games offline.

• Like 1

Where I just moved from was not exactly "off the grid" and the only way I could get 1.5mbps was HughesNet and that works like shit for gaming purposes. I have a friend who doesn't have internet per se, but just uses data on their iPads. Oh and he also has a PS3 and plays games offline.

Half the country who doesn't have internet donsn't have a choice but to pick a Wii U or PS4.

I swear Ballmer (taking over for Gates) was the fucking worst thing to happen at MS.

Heck they brought in an ex EA bastard too after he laid some of his own disease at EA.

• Like 2

Here's an example: You are a brain damaged person and you are playing the XBone...

I'm guessing the first thing has something to do with the last thing.

That is the issue here. Even barring anyone not having the internet, they are introducing a bunch of other situations that can cause you to not be able to play your games and they are giving you jack, freaking, squat in return. N. O. T. H. I. N. G. And some of the most deeply entrenched Xbox fans are lapping it up. Insane.

My suspicion is the internet requirement was a clumsy way to make sure that all your games were purchased at full retail, or at least with the restrictions Microsoft has put in place. I'd also wager that the metric shitload of advertising on Xbox Live had something to do with the decision as well. Before, you could escape the onslaught of Doritos and Dew commercials by unplugging your Ethernet cable, but no longer.

What Microsoft is doing (aside from being greedy wankers) is thinking too far in advance. We may have the stable, widespread internet the Xbox One demands... in twenty years. We may have no need at all for physical discs on a game system... in twenty years. However, that's not the case TODAY, and just a little research or even some damn common sense would have made this clear.

There's a catchphrase Sony coined in the last console generation... "future proofing." I hate future proofing. It's fine to look a few years ahead when designing a game console- after all, these machines are typically supported for five- but it's not worth including features that will inconvenience the gamers who exist right now. That was Sony's mistake when it put a Blu-Ray drive in the Playstation 3, and the always online component is Microsoft's mistake now. Instead of looking wistfully toward a DRM-burdened future, perhaps Ballmer and company should have paid heed to the harsh lessons of the past.

• Like 1

people like Don Mattrick need to be removed from the video game industry. I bet every reason EA is the most hated company in america is because of shit he started.

Time for EA & M$ to launch a new franchise...

post-29022-0-19207200-1371134215_thumb.png

:D

• Like 1

Rape joke? Guess I missed that.

I missed it too, but considering Microsoft isn't aiming for anyone who isn't a Mountain-Dew-Drinking-Dorito-Eating-ESPN-Watching frat boy, a rape joke would probably barely offend 0.000001% of their target demographic.

• Like 5

Rape joke? Guess I missed that.

Bennybingo posted it in the PS3 thread, for me it's not really a big deal as it wasn't blatantly a rape joke but some people go crazy\offended over things like that, either way its a bad rap:

http://www.neowin.net/news/e3-2013-microsoft-apologies-for-rape-joke-made-during-press-conference

Bennybingo posted it in the PS3 thread, for me it's not really a big deal as it wasn't blatantly a rape joke but some people go crazy\offended over things like that, either way its a bad rap:

http://www.neowin.ne...ress-conference

Yeah, there's no need to go all Anita Sarkesian about it, but the simple fact was that it was boorish and a textbook example of how NOT to demo a product for a public audience. The audience chuckled. To be perfectly honest, I laughed too. Still, it was extraordinarily poor taste, and came across as an endorsement of the behaviour of the standard lawncrapping foul mouthed XBox Live teen.