IGNORED

Video: IGN E3 Panel Discussion On Nintendo

Mendon

I found the following video to be an extremely interesting and intelligent panel discussion of all things Nintendo, especially the current state of the company.

While they voiced many of the feelings I've expressed, they also brought up points I hadn't considered, such as at about the 13min mark where they raise the question "Is it because Nintendo just doesn't understand or is it because Nintendo just doesn't care".

http://youtu.be/Sj8Zw9F0O-M

Ah big N has a crapload of grade A exclusives coming down the pipe. All second to none. People just dont realize yet.. Come this fall christmas they will put the hammer down.

You are 100% correct.

My initial disappointment came because, other than the mentioned Nintendo titles, the Wii U was looking like pretty much a ghost town:

A) Almost no mention of big 3rd party support.

B) Almost no mention at all of indie games for downloading

C) Almost no mention at all of VC Channel games for downloading.

A few familiar Nintendo titles coming and that was it.

But once I got past my initial disappointment and looked at all the games that Nintendo & others were planning on releasing, I realized there were some GREAT games coming. Titles I'm really looking forward to and buying on launch day:

Pikmin 3

Luigi U

Wonderful 101

Rayman

Windwaker

Donkey Kong

Mario World

Sonic

Mario Kart

Bayonetta

X

Pokemon

Mario & Luigi Dream Team

Dungeons & Dragons

Pac-Man DX+

I think those games will keep me pretty damn busy for many, many, many months.

Edited by Mendon

"Is it because Nintendo just doesn't understand or is it because Nintendo just doesn't care".

Equal parts of both.

Nintendo didn't care about having a strong lineup of good first and third party games because

previously, each console sold at a profit. They were making money no matter how poor their

consoles' attach rates were and their shareholders were happy enough that nintendo did everything

possible to avoid rocking the boat.

Now, they don't understand why their new system isn't selling.

ipad sales are still increasing year over year... aren't they?

The gimmics they have chosen for their other consoles basically ensured

that they would sell themselves. It didn't work this time and they don't understand

how to market a gimmick that the consumer stopped getting excited about years ago.

They made a profit on each console sold, so it didn't matter if their consoles'

libraries were drowning in shovelware, or that genuinely good third party games sold poorly.

Now that they are selling each console at a loss like sony and microsoft are, they better start

learning how to stem the flow of crap to their consoles' libraries and propagate better

relationships with their their third party developers, like sony and microsoft have done,

or their shareholders will start demanding more than the recent executive shakeup

that recently occurred.

Edited by warmachine
  • Like 1