IGNORED

Jaguar controller adapter for Intellivision: first batch available

Uzumaki

Last post of my experiment: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/211622-adapting-jaguar-controller-to-use-on-intellivision-for-about-5/page__st__25?do=findComment&comment=2767318

If you want to make it yourself, the info's all in there. All you'd need is something that can program ATmega328 or 168 like an UNO board. Eagle file includes schematic and PCB layout. In theory if you had everything on hand, it'd only be about $5 to make one yourself.

I have some available and I can sell it the following:

PCB only: $2

programmed chip: $5

Everything for a kit: $17 It includes a 16MHz clock, 3 capacitors, HD-15 female port, 9 pin cable to connect Intellivision motherboard to PCB, and pins. The only thing is to add wire connecting the female port to the board and mount them on your case. $17 is bare minimum and covers expenses on this project, I'm not making much profit.

I can also offer fully assembled and tested board for $25 each. I can add an LED with 18" lead and in line resistor that you can install (like Intellivision 3 has) at no additional cost. You will need to drill (max 5mm or English #8, a hair smaller than 13/64") and mount, I suggest hot glue to secure the LED. Choice of LED is red, orange, yellow, green, and blue.

At the moment I have 8 of the rev 2 proto and 6 of beta proto. beta has 3 mislabeled spot, no spot for coupling cap for the chip, and not enough pad for ground and power but it works fine. I have enough of other parts to fill all except I only got 4 clocks left, I'd need to order more soon. I don't have screw or nut to mount the controller port, my local hardware store doesn't carry anything smaller than 6-32 or 4mm and it's too big to fit the controller port mounting hole.

As far as mounting the controller port, I found it looked better if I mounted the port on the outside of the shell. Unless you're very good with cutting and can make clean looking cut for behind shell mounting, outside mounting seems better as it can cover imperfections.

It connects one controller and you can keep original controller in place without any issue. Second board can be added for 2 controllers. I may redo PCB and have 2 controller version at another time (Eagle allows about 2x5 max in free edition)

IMG_9139_zps4211e9fd.jpg

I mounted it under the controller panel using double sided foam tape. Plenty of room for second controller adapter! (ps this must have been very early model 1, the controller wire are very thin. About AWG-30 thin. All of later models have thicker wires that looks closer to 26.

Video:

I had a bit of trouble holding the controller as I wasn't used to having a tripod-mounted camera in front of me. It's a lot easier to play some games but the video should show it working quite well.

Pro:

• no more hard to use side buttons. Button A is lower right side, button B is both upper buttons, and button C is lower left side.
  • Last longer than stock Intellivision controller
  • Longer cord
  • Certain games like Burgertime seems easier with 8 direction pad than 16 direction disc pad
  • One button pause, no need to hold 2 buttons

Con:

• Certain game that really uses 16 direction like Vectron will be hard to play if not unplayable.
  • Overlay will not fit. You could redesign overlay to fit Jaguar standard and print it out. Most games are fine without overlay anyway.
  • Still suffers from confused signals if you used disc and keypad or used multiple buttons at the same time, I can only blame Mattel for this one.

This would be good to go with someone's video mod (VGA, S-Video, etc, if it takes off) and with recapping as the old caps are old.

I'd need help on making a list of games that will not work with 8 direction controller.

• Like 3

Remind me to send some of a pack of adult diapers and case of ensure ;)

Installation of fully assembled board is easier than you might think. THe only thing you had to do is solder ground and +5v to the power supply and cut a hole to mount Jaguar controller port. Everything else just plugs together. I need to do easy to follow illustrated instruction.