IGNORED

Is ebay going to start making sellers pay for return shipping!?

shadow460

as i don't buy any electronics from china hong kong etc, becarful of buying from locals as well,hence they buy bulk and often don't check there product, for example i bought something cheap electrical didn't work changed batterys still didn't work, sent a message back regarding what had happened ,i asked for replacement they asked for me to return shipping it umm sorry i aint returning a dodgy product that doesn't work which will cost me half of wha its worth, so they sent me a replacement which i asked them to test ,got it and the batterys were all didn't, but product worked, so answer is yes they should and iam opening up a ebaystore next year somtime so it will be an eyeopener on how much i will have to have returned but i doubt it be much

that's my rant

<unnecessary snark>

I look forward to reading your textwall item descriptions that make no sense and are filled with spelling errors

So, I guess you don't really want to ignore me at all? Not sure why a newbie like yourself registered solely for the purpose of posting in an Ebay bashing thread. I would assume you're some kind of conspiracy/secret government nut job, am I right?

I guess there's no ignor button so I'll reply. If you took the time to read my first few post you would know why I posted here, guess you was above that. I try to avoid your type, only child brat who think they are smarter and better than everyone else. I'm a regular person born back in the time(1950's) when kids where taught respect, I'm not from your time when they weren't.

As I said before, you like to argue and induce argueing, thats why I wished there was an ignor button. Your off the wall opinion I believe may be caused by what u may be smoking, or you need intense psychiatric help.

Bye

If you had bothered to read my posts, you would have seen that I have been on Ebay over 17 years. In that time I have bought and occasionally sold literally thousands of items. I have also had a number of claims against bad sellers in that time and so I am very familiar with how (1)Ebay treats claims and the way in which they evaluate buyer and seller accounts.1) While I may not be a senior citizen like yourself, I am an adult and the 1997 refers to the year I obtained my primary e-mail address, so I use that on forums I frequent. In any event, someone's age has nothing to do with their level of intelligence or common sense nor necessarily reflects their experience.(2) For example, you're purportedly 59 years old and yet you repeatedly misspell basic words like "ignore" and "experience" and "scammers". Should we all discard your opinions simply because of your poor grammar? (3) Frankly, anyone who constantly threatens to block or ignore others on a forum simply for stating their opinions is probably not mentally stable as all you would need to do if you were serious is just skip over my posts and yet you have felt the need to keep responding to them.

(1) Sounds like u fit into ebays bad buyers group, bet allot of seller have you blocked. Wished I knew your name so I could block you. I bet you know your way around the "buyer likes to file claims" proccess and I bet your fb left is full of Negs and Neu. BTW, I do not believe you have sold much on ebay, your a typical BAD BUYER groupy, I can tell by what you write.

(2) I am right, you are the snot nosed brat type, those types of people thrive on pointing out to others that they misspell words. WHY, it makes them feel smart and above others. I have more humility in my little finger than you have in your whole body.

(3) Your arrogants is the main reason I wish to block your post so I couldn't see them.

Dang cus, I am sorry I is knot as smiart as yew are. If I was everyone wuld tink I'm a genius two.

Dear Moderator:

I think its time to close this thread, its went way off target. We get the same things on ebay forums. There's always some buyer who jumps in and tries to make bad buyers look ok and downgrades sellers. I know the type have dealt with them for years.

I appologize to anyone I have offended, except bojay I don't appologize to them. Gl with this great site and tks for letting me voice the ebay sellers side of view.

Dear Moderator:

I think its time to close this thread, its went way off target. We get the same things on ebay forums. There's always some buyer who jumps in and tries to make bad buyers look ok and downgrades sellers. I know the type have dealt with them for years.

I appologize to anyone I have offended, except bojay I don't appologize to them. Gl with this great site and tks for letting me voice the ebay sellers side of view.

Comedy gold my friend, comedy gold.

This article is a few weeks old and I have no idea as to its validity but it does mention that sellers will still not be forced to offer returns at all.

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y14/m08/i12/s01

eBay is set to announce a Seller Release today, a twice-yearly occurrence in which eBay announces changes that impact a seller's business, and often dreaded by sellers. Today, it will announce that all sellers who offer returns must offer eBay's managed returns, also known as hassle-free returns, by the 2015 holiday season. That means buyers will be able to return an item for any reason. Sellers will still have the option of not accepting returns at all.

AtariLeaf, there's another post on ebay that states, for sellers that choose not to offer returns, that ebay will step in and give these people refunds on your behalf. That is, if they escalated to a claim against you. They can and will charge your account for the auction price and shipping, then not require bidders to return the item in some cases. This is all suppose to be operational by next Xmas season, there's still plenty of time for changes to be made. Time will tell I'm sure.

My only concern for now, is when you agree to cancel a transaction right now you loose the fees. If you report a non-paying bidder, they credit you back.. But now they are talking about a 1hour grace period, to cancel transactions (buyer remorse?) after the auction closes. So I'm not sure how that all plays out. They really need to be able to speed things up in that department. Waiting a week to get you fees back, or to be able to offer to a 2nd chance bidder is too long, no contact within a few days, I usually can spot the non payers right away, but that process is too long, so maybe this will be better, just cancel a transaction immediately, the hour it ends, and then offer to the next guy.

This article is a few weeks old and I have no idea as to its validity but it does mention that sellers will still not be forced to offer returns at all.

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y14/m08/i12/s01

I think there is just confusion over the difference between "offering returns" and Ebay's mandatory policy requiring sellers to accept returns of merchandise that is not as described. The information is still accurate that no seller has to offer unconditional returns. If someone buys something and then just decides they don't want it, a seller can refuse to accept a return and that has always been the case and likely will continue to be.

At the same time, no seller can refuse to accept a return if the item is not described. Frankly, as I've stated multiple times in this thread, sellers have always had to accept returns for items not as described and all this does is force sellers to pay return shipping for not as described items. I still maintain that there will be no upsurge in fraud as for buyers really intent on defrauding an Ebay seller, paying return shipping is never going to represent a significant deterrent and we would have seen massive return fraud for many years leading up to this. Even not as described issues are relatively rare and I think out of the thousands of items I have bought on Ebay, I may have had to return maybe 50 over 17 years or roughly one item every few months. I suspect that's pretty average for high vclume buyers and will continue to be even under this new program.

I think there is just confusion over the difference between "offering returns" and Ebay's mandatory policy requiring sellers to accept returns of merchandise that is not as described. The information is still accurate that no seller has to offer unconditional returns. If someone buys something and then just decides they don't want it, a seller can refuse to accept a return and that has always been the case and likely will continue to be.

At the same time, no seller can refuse to accept a return if the item is not described. Frankly, as I've stated multiple times in this thread, sellers have always had to accept returns for items not as described and all this does is force sellers to pay return shipping for not as described items. I still maintain that there will be no upsurge in fraud as for buyers really intent on defrauding an Ebay seller, paying return shipping is never going to represent a significant deterrent and we would have seen massive return fraud for many years leading up to this. Even not as described issues are relatively rare and I think out of the thousands of items I have bought on Ebay, I may have had to return maybe 50 over 17 years or roughly one item every few months. I suspect that's pretty average for high vclume buyers and will continue to be even under this new program.

I think you've hit it on the head here. I used to do ebay sales for a living in a physical storefront several years back. Even as far back as the mid-2000's you couldn't win a "not as described" claim.

Typically what we would have happen is a buyer would send an initial contact asking why something wasn't included, or why some scratch or dent was present. We'd point out where it was listed in the pictures and most likely in the description. Then the buyer would immediately escalate it to a "not as described" claim. It never mattered one bit to ebay or paypal what evidence we provided, we always lost.

Even so, at the volume we were doing it was just a cost of doing business. What really cheesed me off were the actual "Bad Buyers" who would do the claim not as described, and provide a fake tracking number for the return shipment. You couldn't get ebay to believe that a tracking number that was for a shipment to a completely different city wasn't evidence that we had our item back.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh wow, this has been going a lot longer than I thought!

bojay1997 it sounds like you need to stick to Wal*Mart for your purchases. I've had stuff shipped back supposedly "not as described" when, in fact, it was described accurately with pictures of the game and something like "tested and working". You don't get much clearer than a photo.
The forklift comment wasn't a joke. I had a $500 musical instrument shipped via UPS (yes, via a reputable carrier) and then lost in transit. When they finally found it and got it to me, it had a hole in the box where it was punctured by a forklift. It's a stroke of luck they didn't hit the instrument itself because like our games, it's a vintage piece. Packaging is just common sense, although Guitar Center didn't exercise much of it when they packed that instrument. If you've sent a rare game out in a small box with a couple inches of bubble wrap or ghost farts in there to protect it, there is no reasonable way it's going to get damaged. If the carier decides to run over it with a truck, well, I don't care how much you paid, what they did is not my fault.

I have quit selling on ebay, mainly because the time spent listing and packing items is not worth the dwindling return I get on them. After ebay's ridiculous fees, I was getting $2 in profit per sale. It simply was not worth the time I spent working on each sale. I can sell an item locally through word of mouth or through the Retro Gamers' Society and not have to worry about packing or shipping. Sometimes I don't even have to create a listing--I meet with fellow gamers locally, they see what's available and a deal is struck. There is no middle man, no ebay fees, and no shipping to argue over. Often times the items are tested on the spot.
I understand ebay needs to charge something for selling on their site, just like the newspaper charges for a classified ad. However, the increased fees and the push towards power seller status or this or that other status just to get a reasonable rate on listing or shipping really puts a cramp in the profits of a newcomer. I had only three or four bad experiences in the last few years, but again, it's just not worth my time to spend an evening fixing stuff, then an evening listing stuff, then another evening packing stuff, just to make $2 per order or make a grand total of $20 in profit for the week. It's much easier to meet with fellow gamers in own and sell or trade the stuff off for something I want.

Finally, how does a buyer get his money back for return shipping? Simple: Small claims court. You put your own money up front to make a case against the big, bad, evil seller who is only trying to steal your money. If you're right, you get your shipping refunded and that big, bad, evil seller will have to pay your legal fees. If it's not worth going to court over and putting your own money up front, then just maybe it's not worth arguing over who pays to have the item shipped back. Or maybe your "not as described" claim is actually fraud as I was worried about this time last year.

Oh wow, this has been going a lot longer than I thought!

bojay1997 it sounds like you need to stick to Wal*Mart for your purchases. I've had stuff shipped back supposedly "not as described" when, in fact, it was described accurately with pictures of the game and something like "tested and working". You don't get much clearer than a photo.

The forklift comment wasn't a joke. I had a $500 musical instrument shipped via UPS (yes, via a reputable carrier) and then lost in transit. When they finally found it and got it to me, it had a hole in the box where it was punctured by a forklift. It's a stroke of luck they didn't hit the instrument itself because like our games, it's a vintage piece. Packaging is just common sense, although Guitar Center didn't exercise much of it when they packed that instrument. If you've sent a rare game out in a small box with a couple inches of bubble wrap or ghost farts in there to protect it, there is no reasonable way it's going to get damaged. If the carier decides to run over it with a truck, well, I don't care how much you paid, what they did is not my fault.

I have quit selling on ebay, mainly because the time spent listing and packing items is not worth the dwindling return I get on them. After ebay's ridiculous fees, I was getting $2 in profit per sale. It simply was not worth the time I spent working on each sale. I can sell an item locally through word of mouth or through the Retro Gamers' Society and not have to worry about packing or shipping. Sometimes I don't even have to create a listing--I meet with fellow gamers locally, they see what's available and a deal is struck. There is no middle man, no ebay fees, and no shipping to argue over. Often times the items are tested on the spot.

I understand ebay needs to charge something for selling on their site, just like the newspaper charges for a classified ad. However, the increased fees and the push towards power seller status or this or that other status just to get a reasonable rate on listing or shipping really puts a cramp in the profits of a newcomer. I had only three or four bad experiences in the last few years, but again, it's just not worth my time to spend an evening fixing stuff, then an evening listing stuff, then another evening packing stuff, just to make $2 per order or make a grand total of $20 in profit for the week. It's much easier to meet with fellow gamers in own and sell or trade the stuff off for something I want.

Finally, how does a buyer get his money back for return shipping? Simple: Small claims court. You put your own money up front to make a case against the big, bad, evil seller who is only trying to steal your money. If you're right, you get your shipping refunded and that big, bad, evil seller will have to pay your legal fees. If it's not worth going to court over and putting your own money up front, then just maybe it's not worth arguing over who pays to have the item shipped back. Or maybe your "not as described" claim is actually fraud as I was worried about this time last year.

I'm not aware of any state where you can recover attorney's fees in small claims court. You also would still need to collect the judgment and that's next to impossible for an individual to do, especially if the seller is out of state. In short, making sellers responsible for return shipping on not as described items is the only reasonable approach as sellers are fully in control of how items are packed, how they are shipped and how they are describing items. Buyers have little or no control over these things.