IGNORED

MagicFM Source Code

RobertLM78

Hey there fellow 99ers. I seem to remember reading somewhere that you can't just enter the XB source for MFM and RUN: is this right, or can I retype the XB listing from Classic99 and start transferring files? If not, can the additional necessary code be found anywhere?

Thank you for reading! :)

Well interestingly, I found the source to Archiver 3, but not MFM there on ftp.whtech.com :(. Good suggestion though - I'll have to keep looking around the usual suspects - so I'll give some of the sites in the resource thread a shot. I really want to go this going, even if I have to enter the code by hand ;).

MagicFM consists of 2 XB programs, a loader program containing embedded assembly code and a second file that is the main program. Since you have 2 XB programs you can download the two files and use an emulator that supports a serial connection to a TI-99/4A. Enter each XB program separately on the emulator and then enter SAVE "RS232" on the sending side and OLD "RS232" on the receiving side for each file. You will have to disable the line in the loader program to prevent it from loading the second program so that you can transfer each file separately.

A site that contains an updated version is www.errorfree.de

If you do not use a suitable emulator someone will have to send you the program on a TI disk.

Jacques

MagicFM consists of 2 XB programs, a loader program containing embedded assembly code and a second file that is the main program. Since you have 2 XB programs you can download the two files and use an emulator that supports a serial connection to a TI-99/4A. Enter each XB program separately on the emulator and then enter SAVE "RS232" on the sending side and OLD "RS232" on the receiving side for each file. You will have to disable the line in the loader program to prevent it from loading the second program so that you can transfer each file separately.

A site that contains an updated version is www.errorfree.de

If you do not use a suitable emulator someone will have to send you the program on a TI disk.

Jacques

Hey Jacques, I believe you suggested this a few weeks ago, but my problem is that I don't have an emulator that can do serial :(. As far as having someone send a disk, it sounds good, but not very realistic: people are busy, they don't want to have to send anything, nor do I want to depend on anyone to do so. It would be better in the long run to just get my hands on the source code so I can 'do it the old-fashioned way', by hand ;).

There is another way to 'Get there from here". Send me a private email message at jgroslou at nbnet dot nb dot ca and I will send you a document that I wrote a few years ago. You will have to type in some source code from a MICROpendium article and then assemble it to create an object file that will download a program from a PC to a TI. I have never done it myself but I understand it works.

Jacques

Hey RLM,

I wanted to send you a copy, but as I chronicled on the list, my 5.25 disk drive is flipping out and corrupting my disks. I went to make a copy of my MFM disk and the drive fragged my disk really bad. It's ruined. I do have another copy, but Im worried to try and copy it until I have a better understanding of what's happening to my drive and disks.

First I'll clean the heads on Marc's suggestion, then see where we can go from there. Just need to set aside a couple hours to work on it. Good news is, Im one cable away from an HDX interface server connection to my PC. Greg McGill and Greg Warner have been very helpful in getting it going. Once I get that rolling, I can make disks whenever the hell I want of whatever the hell I want... Assuming, of course, my drive isn't ruined. :)