IGNORED

Potential new hardware

foft

Did anyone make a start on an SRAM testing core? I made one, based around the ZPU processor, for testing SDRAM, and I've been toying with the idea of extending it to cover SRAM too.

Also, on the subject of SRAM, if anyone wants another test case: Tobias Gubener's original DE1 Minimig port doesn't use SRAM, but Rok Krajnc's updated core *does* use it for the OR1200 control CPU. Latest version in this thread: http://www.minimig.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=608&start=10

I just got this reply from Digi-Key about my DE1.

Hi Mark,

Regarding your return of ###### from Invoice #########, our Product Manager has concluded that the product is defective, and will be returned to the manufacturer. Credit will be issued accordingly back to the credit card of purchase by the end of the week.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

Not sure what to do since my replacement board from Digi has the same issues and SRAM chips as the one the deemed as defective.

Well if they confirmed its fault and you have the same issue on another board from them I suggest you return it. I guess if you have other cores that do not use SRAM you could just use it for them.

Could it be that you're disabling oe or we signals too early, or have address bits unstable on cs going low? How do you handle ub and lb selects? If it fails with one particular memory type, then it looks like marginal timing rather than defective chip. Otoh spectrum core also fail, so maybe, but it would be wise to read timing specs for this exact sram chip

• 2 weeks later...

"Dear Santa:

This year I've been a nice guy: I've been kind to others, helped people to install and use GNU/Linux and I've eaten all the beans.

So I would like an Atari 800 core for my Altera DE1 or FPGA REPLAY boards with SD card support, so I can load y disk images from it. I'm not in a hurry, but it would be the best present for me this year!

regards

"

• Like 1

"Dear Santa:

This year I've been a nice guy: I've been kind to others, helped people to install and use GNU/Linux and I've eaten all the beans.

So I would like an Atari 800 core for my Altera DE1 or FPGA REPLAY boards with SD card support, so I can load y disk images from it. I'm not in a hurry, but it would be the best present for me this year!

regards

"

:-) Hardware side of SD support is done but have some software issues... Would be ready for Christmas except I have guests who are staying in this room. So perhaps end Jan is more likely!

• Like 1

Looks like the minimig DE1 core is experencing issues with SRAM IS61WV25616EDBLL-10TLI chip also.

http://www.minimig.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=609

Interesting. They have much more experience than me, will be interesting to see what is figured out:-)

Surprised Chaos saw timing differences since the data sheets I read were IDENTICAL for all timing values. I tried clocking all regs, phase shifting the WE signal and other stuff with no improvement. Pretty convinced its down to bad chips until anyone proves otherwise.

SD access close now... I receive 0x53, reply, receive 0x52 for sector 1, read from SD ok, reply, see data written to 0x400 (appears correct - but only sampled 5-10 bytes), then the Atari requests sector 1 again... Must be something stupid! Think my checksum is right.

Where is the place in the OS to see the checksum validation calc?

Edited by foft
  • Like 1

New sof file up. Again highly experimental...

Anyone fancy making the full sio2sd or sdrive software work here and writing a decent config OSD? For ZPU with 16KB rom and 4KB ram.

@NML32: Try Minimig adaptor. Also sound is higher for videos.

@Vanfanel: Please try the SD card. Very primitive read only for now.

edit: Call a file BOOT.ATR. Current firmware expects it, otherwise you need to press key1 quickly after f12...

Edited by foft

foft, thanks for the updated file but I get no display on my VGA monitor and a rolling screen on my RGB monitor. :_(

Of course these screen related switches can never really be OSD controlled...

I'm adding a few back in and will post it in about 10-15 mins (just compiling!)

sw9:vga

sw8:composite on hsync (this is causing your rolling, but I need it)

sw7:force sdram

Any takers for helping write a really cool OSD? Perhaps I should think of a prize and post in the programming section:-)

Im having difficulties trying this, foft. My card is FAT16-formatted (using Linux Parted, no Windows machines in my house) and has some .ATR files on it. However, pressing the KEY1 causes a black screen with the message "open dir error".

Also, pressing KEY1 is very hard for me since it's just under the ribbon that connects the joystick interface to the GPIO, so.. could you please configure an FN keyboard key for this function?

Make sure the switch on the right is up and sd installed before hitting f12 or flashing. Without that it won't init the sd card. Fat16 from Linux is fine.

Yes agree on key. This will all change:) Also if you have >20 files on the sd it does not scroll yet. Early days but you can play some games.

Edited by foft

@foft with the experiment_20131231.sof I'm unable to load ATR and other files. I have switch 0&8 up. I went back to experiment_20131229.sof with the same switch settings and could load ATR files.

With experiment_20131231.sof the disk access noise sounds different it more of a quick buzz sound.

One other thing I noticed with both sof files is when I press Key1 the hi-lighted atr file is in the middle of the screen and doesn't scroll up or down the list.

post-22122-0-37603300-1388527245_thumb.jpg

Edited by NML32

Yeah that's the bug I mentioned:) Works better with a high speed os:) Just hit f12 once or try again and it usually then works.

Stick with <20 files for now. Preliminary GUI. Just wanted to get something out there before end 2013.

Happy New Year!