foft

Does your tv have a scart?

This page has some links about making a cable:

http://scarthunter.blogspot.ch/p/links.html?m=1

The core versions for mist are:

RGB: 15khz composite sync on hsync pin

VGA: 31KHz separate syncs

VGA CS: 31KHz composite sync on hsync pin

With 60Hz and 50Hz versions on each (ie for NTSC and PAL).

I think Till released the firmware earlier today. (Edit: Ah, see you found it. F11 works? I'll test with this firmware tonight. F12 works on my firmware build (non public...).

Edited by foft

F12 is a new firmware feature. Basically Till is adding OSD support to 8-bit mode for the other cores.

Since I don't support OSD and need F12 I've built a new firmware for now.

http://www.scrameta.net/autobuild/20140619/mist/firmware.upg

NB: Till will likely release another official one in the next few days to replace this (+ I might have a new core that tells it I want F12). My build will also likely break the other new 8-bit cores if they actually have an OSD.

edit: Till got in touch - likely we'll have an official firmware build tomorrow (or next few days at least)

Edited by foft

I just posted a picture of my keyboard with the stickers on.

http://www.scrameta.net/autobuild/keyboard.JPG

I know its a rubbish picture, but it does at least show how the layout is intended to be :)

In future revisions this will be changeable in config - e.g. for those US users. I'm pretty sure US keyboards don't have enough keys for the ASDF row though sadly...

• Like 3

[...]

[edit: Till got in touch - likely we'll have an official firmware build tomorrow (or next few days at least)

Your firmware and new core works great and until new release from Till I've something to play with. Really impressive!

Hi foft, thank you very much for releasing the core for the MCC-216!

I am trying to test it. The instructions says that these files are required:

System ROM:
Loaded from /System/rom/atari800/atarixl.rom

Basic:
Loaded from /System/rom/atari800/ataribas.rom

Where can they be found? thanks again!

@jugac64 one thing you'll notice right away is the file selector. This core doesn't use the standard MCC-216 menu system. Adding and accessing programs is as easy as dropping them onto your sd card no crazy ini file to build!

• Like 1

Hi Mark, what MCC version are you using for testing? I am using the VGA version.

I flashed correctly the VGA cores, but when I selected one of them only a black screen appears.

When I selected the PAL core, the screen resolution changes to 720x576pix 50Hz, and when I selected the NTSC core it changes to 640x480pix 60Hz, but in both cases only a black screen remains. No response on keyboard keystrokes (my monitor can handle correctly both resolutions).

This is my SD structure related to the Atari core. I downloaded 2 tested games from your list on the Google’s sheet.

G:\System\Core\atari800\atari800core_NTSC_VGA.arg

G:\System\Core\atari800\atari800core_PAL_VGA.arg

G:\System\Rom\atari800\ataribas.rom

G:\System\Rom\atari800\atarixl.rom

G:\atari800\user\H.E.R.O..xex

G:\atari800\user\Jungle Hunt.xex

Any advice? Thanks!!! Juan

Edited by jugac64

Actually it looks more complex than that... I need 512 byte blocks. Sd v1 has 512 byte blocks up to 1GB. Larger SD v1 cards can not be supported. SD v2 supports 512 byte blocks for all sizes. So SDHC should work with some adjustments.

So I guess the sd init code (taken from sdrive) just has issues initializing some cards. I'm using petit fatfs that supports fat32 so file system should support them.

So I expect larger cards work on MIST (I ask it for the sd sector and it does the low level) but not other targets. (edit: nope, my 2GB card doesn't work here either - checking if this is mist side or my side - probably my side!)

Now to check to that theory. If true I'd better find a decent embedded sd over spi library...

Edited by foft

F12 is a new firmware feature. Basically Till is adding OSD support to 8-bit mode for the other cores.

http://www.scrameta.net/autobuild/20140619/mist/firmware.upg

NB: Till will likely release another official one in the next few days to replace this (+ I might have a new core that tells it I want F12). My build will also likely break the other new 8-bit cores if they actually have an OSD.

edit: Till got in touch - likely we'll have an official firmware build tomorrow (or next few days at least)

Till just released firmware_140621_r284.upg for the MIST F12 now works on A8 core.

Edited by NML32

Actually it looks more complex than that... I need 512 byte blocks. Sd v1 has 512 byte blocks up to 1GB. Larger SD v1 cards can not be supported. SD v2 supports 512 byte blocks for all sizes. So SDHC should work with some adjustments.

So I guess the sd init code (taken from sdrive) just has issues initializing some cards. I'm using petit fatfs that supports fat32 so file system should support them.

So I expect larger cards work on MIST (I ask it for the sd sector and it does the low level) but not other targets. (edit: nope, my 2GB card doesn't work here either - checking if this is mist side or my side - probably my side!)

Now to check to that theory. If true I'd better find a decent embedded sd over spi library...

Correction to my edit. My 2GB card does work on the MIST and DE1. However my 32GB one doesn't work on either... Via mist I can currently only address sectors up to 2^24, which gives max 8GB. Via DE1 - not sure...

edit: found a 4GB card. Confirmed as failing on DE1 (and thus same on MCC216 - hardware here is the same pretty much) and working on the MIST. I'll ask Till if we can get > 8GB support and look into fixing DE1/MCC.

Edited by foft
  • Like 1

Hi foft, if we can donate you a Turbo Chameleon 64 and a Docking Station (joysticks interface), could you port also the Atari core to the Chameleon?

I could ask on the TC64 mailing list for some investors… maybe there it is some interest on supporting this project.

Best regards, Juan

• Like 1

Re ROM cartridge support: Nope - I only tried two and one worked. To be honest I wouldn't expect any to work since its not really implemented properly. It just loads the ROM over the top of basic. So surprised you are getting a ready screen since that is overwritten... Maybe its completely broken!

Re artifacting: I've not thought about it. All those games were broken for PAL anyway. Do you get any if you put it through an RGB to composite adaptor? I guess so but the wrong colours?

Hi Juan. Sure if you want to donate one I'll port it. I need to do the Sockit board first though, but the code is in a good position for new ports now.

Hi foft! we already have some people interested on supporting this project, I hope we can get all the resources during the next week, thanks!

More info about the request here:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/chameleon_64/conversations/topics/3817

Edited by jugac64
  • Like 1

Hi foft,
my congratulations for your first unified release for four FPGA boards!

I have made a quick test of the MCC216 version and it looks already very good.

Have discovered only a small graphics glitch with Dimension X, tested with the NTSC VGA core.

Looks like there are four fine diagonal RGB stripes.
These appear only in this games sequence:
post-19197-0-95072700-1403475827_thumb.jpg
A closer look:
post-19197-0-52082600-1403475890_thumb.jpg

Presently the settings and load menus are controllable by the joystick and the fire button.
Controlling these by the cursor, enter and ESC buttons of the PS2 keyboard would be nice :)

Great release!

Frank

Edited by NGFrankW

Hi foft! we already have some people interested on supporting this project, I hope we can get all the resources during the next week, thanks!

More info about the request here:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/chameleon_64/conversations/topics/3817

Great:-)

Quick question - just doing some research on the Chameleon. The FPGA pins file shows a real USART (TX/RX/CTS/RTS), however I can't see it on the board. Do these just go to headers as 3.3V raw FPGA connections?