IGNORED

SkateBoarder Alpha v0.1

Alexjo

I've been developing a skateboarding game for Atari 2600 with the help of bB. I've got it to a point where its playable and thought I'd share it with the community! I plan to add more stages, more tricks, title screen, menu, a two player mode and instructions on how to do each trick without an instruction manual.

Instructions:

Your character will automatically skate to the right and you can control what tricks he does with the joystick controller.

ScreenShot2013-06-27at53627PM_zpsdf907d03.png

Tricks:

Kickflip: UP then RIGHT

Heelflip: UP then LEFT

Shuv-it: LEFT

Shuv-it 360: RIGHT

Flip: DOWN

To land a trick you must be in air. If you hit the ground while the board is flipping you will crash. To jump (or ollie) hit the button and you will jump. I'll explain the logic behind the controls if it seems weird. The button is your back foot, so when you press it, you are pushing down the tail of your skateboard. The joystick is your front foot. For example when you do a kickflip on a skateboard you slide your front foot up the board and to the left to giving it the spin to flip. In game, you would press the button then move the joystick UP then RIGHT.

ScreenShot2013-06-27at53628PM_zps232a76c9.png

Comments and criticism welcome! If you have any problems let me know. The .bin has been tested on Stella for Mac OS X 10.7.5 and Ubuntu 12.04

skateboarder.bin

• Like 3

I think it looks good. My initial impressions:

• When the skateboarder is on the ground, left and right should move the skateboarder those directions instead of just making the guy crash. He should start off stationary.
  • Tricks should be only done while the guy is in the air.
  • If the playfield doesn’t affect the game, IMHO it should not be used (California Games’ “Footbag” segment is very compelling and doesn’t use the playfield at all. Space Invaders only uses the playfield for the players’ score) I would just make the background a simple color dissolve.
  • If there’s time to develop it: I would use the playfield for toys the skater can jump on to.
  • Again, if there’s time: The second player can be used for falling items or what not the skater needs to avoid hitting.

- Sam

I like the fact you have to time tricks correctly to land them. I would love to see this expanded to a series of stages where you have to perform tricks down a sets of stairs and over gaps.

You could add a speed element to it to so you have to get you speed within a certain range to land tricks down stairs of a certain sizes ect.

• 1 month later...

I like where this is going, especially the timing element to the tricks.

However, please note the following:

-You can jump while dead

-360 Shove-it is more difficult than a backflip and gives more points?

-There needs to be some sort of obstacle in place at the very least. Ramps, curbs, small animals, whatever it may be. I really like the idea of stairs in post #4, higher jumps from ramps or stairs could allow for more tricks and an actual risk-reward factor for the player where right now it's all about timing.