IGNORED

Atari joystick question...

tillenterprises

I have 2 different versions of the standard Atari joystick- one with the common plastic shaft inside, and another version with a spring mechanism inside, which is more flexible. I'm assuming that the version with the springs was the original version, included with the heavy sixers, and then to cut costs, Atari switched to the cheaper and stiffer version, with just the plastic shaft and 4 points depressing the circuit board. Can anybody verify this? I didn't see mention of the 2 different variations on the controllers page of Atari Age. I have 2 extra of these spring joysticks that I was going to auction off, but want to make sure that I have the correct information.

You are right .. The five spring joysticks date from 1977 and early 1978?. Sometimes the springs get weak. Atari sold a joystick repair kit which included replacement springs. But those with weak springs can be fixed by stretching/ elongating the spring slightly to make better force contact. On top of the stick is an indentation where an aluminum nameplate was glued on the earliest models. It said either "ATARI" or "Sears". They inevitably fell off. Recently someone mentioned that they have a 5 spring stick that has an aluminum nameplate on the base. Evidently the nameplates were to give the user an orientation for how to hold the stick.

The later white shaft sticks were simpler in manufacture and construction and are much more common. They say "TOP" on the up side.

Total part count: Earlier Stick: 20 parts (if I remember correctly)

Later Stick: 13 parts

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA