IGNORED

Yeah, built PC to 5200 adapter

Dantaipan

Just finished testing the PC to 5200 adapter I made this weekend and it works like a charm. Joust is great with it. Pac-Man titles are alright... enough talk, back to testing. Anyone know of the ideal PC joystick to use with this setup?

PS: I have almost no electronics/soldering experience so the fact that I was able to pull this off is amazing.

Yes, I used the schematic from the FAQ. The parts only cost me $5 CAN. Since there's only 2 capacitors, I wasn't too intimidated. Think if I was to do it again I could make it look a little nicer but hey, it works. Think I need to find a joystick type controller though. The Gravis GamePad Pro I'm using just doesn't cut it.

Works great doesn't it?  How do you have it connected to the 5200 and controller?

[edit] Just made a nice little box for it out of a roughed up Pac-Man cart I had. Seemed to be the perfect size. With the extra weight though, I almost need an extension cable to go from the box to the console. Are these available anywhere or am I going to have to make one of those too?

I don't know about those generic PC joystick extensions, but I had a few of these extensions for the 5200 that were specific to that system (check out the picture and the package label below). They were in a box lot of misc cables from an auction I won last year, along with some other misc 2600 extensions and a few 9 pin Y cables too!

I think I only kept one or two of each of those for myself and sold the rest. Man, I wish I had more of those! ;)

post-41-1046099896_thumb.jpg

I don't know about those generic PC joystick extensions, but I had a few of these extensions for the 5200 that were specific to that system (check out the picture and the package label below).  They were in a box lot of misc cables from an auction I won last year, along with some other misc 2600 extensions and a few 9 pin Y cables too!

I picked up a 5200 extension cable made specifically for the system .. new in package about 4 years ago .. I just threw away the packaging which referenced a company (Canton, OH) now out of business (ie not on the internet or yellow pages online).

I have a 9p Y adapter cable I found somewhere ..

Never did I anticipate that these two items and my Wico 5200 Y cable would be my most important Vectrex and Atari interface hardware.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

My guess is that the cable will not have all of the pins connected since the PC joystick Y cable I got didn't have all of the cables connected to pins. It would be great if it did though. Heres the PC joystick pinout. Note pins 1 and 8 (5v) are the ones that weren't connected in the adapter.

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/joystic...c_joystick.html

Picked up a "mac monitor extension cable" today that works the only thing is it doesn't have a very deep plug. I was messing around to get it to work better and I pulled the plug right out! The cable was only $7 CAN though so I think I'll go pick up another. Here's an example http://www.provantage.com/FP_32194.htm?CBTG04M

So is the whole idea here to make a commercially marketable adapter cord that allows you to use PC joysticks on a 5200 instead of 5200 joysticks?  If so wouldn't you still need a keypad anyway?

The ideal is to reproduce the Wico Y adapter. Then you could add circuit modules to do what you want.

2600 Keyboard + PC Controller

2600 Keyboard + 2600 Stick

2600 Keyboard + 5200 Paddle

5200 Controller + PC Controller

5200 Controller + 2600 Stick

5200 Controller + 5200 Paddle

I have built a box which incorportates both the 2600 Keyboard interface and an the PC controller circuit. It has START, PAUSE, RESET buttons on top.

So is the whole idea here to make a commercially marketable adapter cord that allows you to use PC joysticks on a 5200 instead of 5200 joysticks?  If so wouldn't you still need a keypad anyway?

The ideal is to reproduce the Wico Y adapter. Then you could add circuit modules to do what you want.

2600 Keyboard + PC Controller

2600 Keyboard + 2600 Stick

2600 Keyboard + 5200 Paddle

5200 Controller + PC Controller

5200 Controller + 2600 Stick

5200 Controller + 5200 Paddle

I have built a box which incorportates both the 2600 Keyboard interface and an the PC controller circuit. It has START, PAUSE, RESET buttons on top.

Rob, that box sounds like a 5200 owner's wet dream come true. :D