IGNORED

99/4A Hard Disk

matthew180

Something not mentioned that I and others have recently implemented is the use of a Compact Flash card in place of a hard drive using the SCSI card. You get a SCSI to IDE adapter, an IDE to Compact Flash adapter, daisy chain them all together and you've got a 248mb flash drive for your TI or Geneve. The Geneve will boot from it, too. I've got both my TI and Geneve set up like I described, and can't imagine life without them.

Transfers from the PC are incredibly easy, too. Take the CF card to the PC and dump it to a binary file. Use TiImageTool to read or write files on the file, and write the file back to the CF card if you've written to it. It's especially useful when using MESS, you can have the exact same hard drive on real and emulated systems and work on either without worrying about getting things transferred back and forth.

Gazoo

Oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about. :thumbsup: Got any links for the actual kit?

Oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about. :thumbsup: Got any links for the actual kit?

One of the SCSI to IDE adapters is the ACARD AEC-7720u, the other is the IO-DATA idsc21-e.

There are some of the former available on Ebay now, but are overpriced IMHO. You should be able to find

one with a little effort and patience in the $50 to $100 range. I have one of each of these and they work quite well.

You could probably use one of the SCSI Wide to IDE adapters too, with the proper SCSI adapter.

The IDE to Compact flash adapter I use is a drive bay version, so I can easily swap my CF's between TI, Geneve, & PC.

Here's an example:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FSTARTECH-35BAYCF2IDE-COMPACT-FLASH-CARD-TO-IDE-ADAPTER-W-3-5IN-BAY-ENCLOSURE-%2F300918523656%3Fpt%3DUS_Memory_Card_Readers_Adapters%26hash%3Ditem4610244708

You could also try an IDE to SD adapter in place of the IDE to CF adapter. I'm thinking of switching over to the one found here:

http://www.addonics....cts/adidesd.php

Gazoo

• Like 1

I have a SCSI card and do not have the SCSI to IDE adapter, but I do have a IDE to SATA and USB to SATA.

So why not reverse them and make a SCSI to USB Stick?

SCSI>IDE>SATA>SATA>USB>USB STICK

$8.00 for 256Meg USB sticks. And I have several.

SCSI is way better then the Myarc HFDC.

Depends what you are referring to. The HFDC has more features including full

DSK1 emulation, full emulate file capability, and the ability to control four floppy

drives. Speed differences are disputable. The SCSI also has a bug in its OPEN

and/or buffering code that manifests during repeated catalogs. I prefer the SCSI with

my Geneve and the HFDC with my TI, for functionality reasons.

SCSI and Myarc HFDC had much in common but size of the drive is larger for the SCSI card.

Just to clarify - the available SCSI drive capacities are larger. The media is also easier to obtain and as Gazoo points out, there are bridges which allow one to use Compact Flash with the SCSI card. Very nice.

RXB has built in CALL SCSI for a query of the SCSI card. Also a XB program that shows what it does.

RXB can do CATalog or DIRectory or COPY or RENAME or PROTECT or MaKDIRectories or ReMove DIRectories or multiple remove directories with CUTDIR or SECTOR Hard drives like the Myarc or SCSI.

RXB has not been tested on a IDE but if it works on both the SCSI and HFDC I imagine it sould work on any hard drive with the same set ups.

Because the IDE card uses different low level subprograms, rename, copy, move, protect, and directory functions will fail when called by RXB. However, if you are able to change the routines om RXB, the fix is simple enough.

Also, if you use RXB (or any hard-disk aware program) in a system with two hard disk controller cards (i.e., SCSI and HFDC) you will only be able to access the first one found by the DSRLNK. Unless, of course, your code explicitly determines which card you want to target by its device name. Reason: all lower-level hard drive access is done at the unit # level, not the device name level.

Edited by InsaneMultitasker

What I found extremely useful with SCSI is that you just need to plug a host adapter into your PC and then you can swap the drive between the PC and the TI / Geneve. I did that in order to create the hard disk images for my MESS installation.

Of course, in that respect, Linux is a much better choice than Windows with its system tools like dd, so I just do a "dd if=/dev/sdX of=contents.dump bs=512" and for writing back, if/of swapped.

What I found extremely useful with SCSI is that you just need to plug a host adapter into your PC and then you can swap the drive between the PC and the TI / Geneve. I did that in order to create the hard disk images for my MESS installation.

Of course, in that respect, Linux is a much better choice than Windows with its system tools like dd, so I just do a "dd if=/dev/sdX of=contents.dump bs=512" and for writing back, if/of swapped.

I use 2x EZ135 SCSI drives in my main Geneve system. I installed another EZ135 drive in my PC case, connected to an Adaptec SCSI card, which allows me to insert the cartridge into either PC or Geneve.

Your comment about host adapter reminded me of Bill Sullivan's efforts to share devices between two TI systems. By setting the SCSI cards at different IDs, I believe he achieved this. I do not recall if he connected a PC into the mix. I wonder if that would work....

I just meant to say that you can plug in a SCSI card (aka host adapter) in the PC and then detach the SCSI drive from the TI/Geneve and attach it to that host adapter, and back again - but not at the same time. I am not so sure whether the devices on the SCSI bus are equivalent or whether there is master/slave relationship.

On the PC side, the 40 pin ribbon cable can be configured for multiple SCSI drives in a master/slave relationship, as long as the jumpers are set properly.

I have NO idea how this would apply to using multiple hosts on a singular drive, however. It could be a cool experiment... I would need to see how the SCSI card jumps out... Looking at mainbyte, it looks like the ASCSI2 card has a 50 pin interface as opposed to a 40. I would imagine that the card does not use all 50 pins though.... right?

On the PC side, the 40 pin ribbon cable can be configured for multiple SCSI drives in a master/slave relationship, as long as the jumpers are set properly.

I have NO idea how this would apply to using multiple hosts on a singular drive, however. It could be a cool experiment... I would need to see how the SCSI card jumps out... Looking at mainbyte, it looks like the ASCSI2 card has a 50 pin interface as opposed to a 40. I would imagine that the card does not use all 50 pins though.... right?

The SCSI-1 standard is 50 pins. I think half or nearly half of them are ground for signal separation. Also, SCSI does not use master/slave—that's an IDE invention. It uses Logical Unit Number (LUN) and SCSI-1 could handle seven plus the controller (LUN = 0–7). SCSI devices are daisy-chained with the last device terminated.

...lee

Hmm.... perhaps this is NEW then... Not standard?

http://www.ehow.com/...hard-drive.html

It talks about the master/slave configuration

That's a confabulation IMHO. AFAIK IDE and its compatriots are the only interfaces that use the term master/slave. For some reason, the term SCSI-ID got co-opted for general usage as an identifier in computer systems. Perhaps someone can explain it. The SCSI interface, however, has always meant what I mentioned above. Three of the lines (each paired with a ground, I think) of the interface are device address lines and each device must have a unique LUN (SCSI-ID?) of 0–7. Also, Wide-SCSI has four address lines for 16 unique LUNs.

...lee