IGNORED

Hack ideas from non-programmers

FlynnLives

I'm a new member, but have been a long time follower and fan of AtariAge in general. I've been playing Atari 2600 games since I was 7-years old. As most kids, I didn't get all the games I wanted so I had to use my imagination to fill in certain gaps. Example: I was a "Star Wars" nut, but longed for an Asteroid level in my "Empire Strikes Back" experience. Well.....I think you know where this is going.....

I discovered emulators, hacks and homebrews way back in 2006 (via AtariAge, actually), and have been addicted ever since. It brought back to life what had been dormant in me for nearly 2 decades; a true love for classic games. Only now.....with so much more potential!

Before I continue.....

YES, I have read the sticky thread in the Homebrew section about ideas from non-programmers. (Maybe that should be copied and pasted here.....???? O_o)

**makes sure all programmers reading this have lowered their lightsabers**

Ok....it seems safe to continue......

So, I was just wondering if the same would apply to any Hack ideas some of us may have? Obviously a hack doesn't require the same amount of time and energy as a Homebrew because most of the elements are already there, plus there's no cart production/marketing involved.

Anywho.....I've got several ideas that I think would make for fun games, with no motivation other than just wanting to play them. I'll admit first hand that I know ZERO about programming though, so don't start swinging yet.

**flinches and ducks**

I'll throw one out there just as a small example: "Pitfall!" except with a horizon and sky that changes color (visible between the tree trunks) to indicate different times of day and night. Not unlike the sky in "Enduro" as you drive cross-country. Maybe even increase the number of snakes, fires, obstacles, and/or maybe even bring the scorpians above ground during the nighttime stages. ???

Thoughts??

Edited by FlynnLives

I agree with Random Terrain. I was doing romhacks for a good while, and naturaly made the cross over to Visual Batari Basic. With tons of support from this awesome community I'm slowly getting the hang of things =) VBB seems terrifying at first, but it really isn't =)

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

At the risk of being bludgeoned, I signed up for AA in part to beg someone to hack "Night Driver" to make it more like "Datsun 280 ZZZAP" using the driving controller (Instead of paddles) in one port and the joystick controller in the second to shift gears. Add the spedometer at the bottom, and maybe spruce up the tress etc on the side of the road.

Anything I can do to persuaded a programmer/hacker to do this??

I think that link is required reading OldSchoolRetroGamer.

I kinda feel that hack requests should have its own place, though. For instance, I wouldn't touch wiseguyusas Night Driver mod but Nukey Shay might, The guys who mod Atari games might feel differently about IP rights and the risk of getting sued too. *shrugs*

• Like 1

Some hacks are really easy to make and some require expert knowledge of assembly, and not everyone knows what's easy to change and what's not easy to change. An AA member just suggested in my recent 'River Raid Turbo' thread that I add two button support and the ability to drop bombs like in Xevious. That would probably be a complete re-write. I can't do it, but I'd also love to see it done. :) If there's a commented disassembly there are many possibilities, if it's a 4K game that can be easily disassembled with Distella then the only 'easy' things I've been able to change beyond graphics are the number of lives, collision detection, and reversed controls (in Star Wars arcade). I know it's possible to hack games with Stella as well, although I've never done it that way. Either way, I think peddling hack ideas is very similar to peddling homebrew ideas in that usually the person doing it is doing it out of great personal interest or love for the specific game, and someone else's idea just isn't as motivating.

So maybe a programmer would do it for the love of BOTH games (Night Driver & Datsun 280Zzzap) ????

2 great games, pillars of the driving game genre.

It passes the "retroness test"

Fills a void etc.

As Roy D. Merser used to say... "That's my opinion, it outta be yours"

LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Again, I am used to working with programmers that don't even acknowledge a question unless it is encoded in SNARK 2.0

It wasn't an insult, just a poorly coded port of Convergys Nerdspeak.

I haven't really done any programming since Atari 8bit BASIC, and I wasn't even too good at that.

But after I get my Amateur Radio (FCC) License, then learn piano & Spanish, I might take a stab at learning batari. I have a few irons in the fire at the moment, and want to finish what I started before starting in a new direction.

I'm still learning assembly and its not too bad, but it will probably be a year or more before I am ready to program my first colecovision game that doesnt suck. I've never thought about doing a hack. Ive only been an atariage member for a short time and it amazes me how many people start there first post on atariage this way.

I think if I waited longer than 2 weeks I would lose everything that I absorbed.

I hear that. I'd at least lurk in the bB forums and check out the topics even if you don't have time to learn. Even glossing over the examples will help get you acquainted with the, ahem, BASICs.

Also, you never sent me that mock up and game manual for your Ticket Terror game. I think the premise is horrible and in bad taste.. that doesn't mean I can't offer some advice :)

• 3 months later...

The "Ticket Terror" was a game that I started on a TI-99A in a summer BASIC class. It was funny at the time, and never really intended to be anything other than a passing grade. I am much more passionate about amping up "Night Driver" I think that is a much more manageable project with wider potential appeal, and by making the packaging look like a Bally product and naming it "280ZZZAP" it would be an inside joke for those that get it, and something different as far as its physical appearance. I will work on a mock up of 280ZZZAP and post a link here..... eventually!