IGNORED

Hive multi-cart - It's alive!

Prices run generally higher than Atari, but it's a smaller market and subject to higher prices from smaller batch sizes.

From my experience its probably a larger market than Atari for homebrews. Certainly larger than both the Jaguar and 7800 homebrew scenes. There are a small number of 2600 homebrew titles that would outsell an Inty title too.

One of the biggest problems to overcome is the fact that the Inty game cart PCB is more complex than a similar 2600/7800/Vectrex/Colecovision one due to the system's multiplexed address/data bus. This has been solved with the use of CPLDs+flash and microcontrollers but their use tends to require factory manufacturing or home SMD soldering skill levels (which not everybody has). My Bee3 cart PCB design hopes to address that because it is all .1" pitch pin through hole devices.

• 3 weeks later...

Will this allow for loading games on to a cartridge, as in the process for loading new homebrews on old carts?

Yep! Theres a list of what it can do in the 1st post and a video of it in action too.

Edit: Prototype cart design info from earlier in the thread here.

Edited by GroovyBee

this is a multi cart. You put the roms on a micro sd card.

I get that part. I was just wasn't clear if you could take the ROMs and dump them on to an old, original cart, like they do for homebrews. Or, at least, that is what I thought the homebrewers were doing using the CC3.

I get that part. I was just wasn't clear if you could take the ROMs and dump them on to an old, original cart, like they do for homebrews. Or, at least, that is what I thought the homebrewers were doing using the CC3.

nope. Cant do that with a cc3. And homebrewers arent reusing old boards like some other systems can. (Other system boards you still have to replace the chips though) They have to manufacture completely new boards. There are at least 3 people manufacturing boards for the intellivision

The ROMS come from 3 sources. Original carts are put into a cartridge dumper and the contents dumped. This was done by myself and Scott Nudds for the majority of the dumps out there, including the Exec, GROM and ECS Exec.

The second source is prototype ROMS. A lot of these come from 'T-cards' which are games on standard eproms. There were a number of prototype games found in the archives of INTV as well and eventually found their way on to compilations done by Intellivision Productions

The third source of ROMS is people writing new games. These new games have been placed on NEW hardware. The 'standard' Intellivision cartridge is very different from most other systems like the Atari 2600. You can't simply swap an Eprom on the board and reuse it. All new games come on new circuit boards.

The CC3 and other 'flash carts' simply load and play ROMS that you put on the cartridge (usually through a micro SD card). The Cuttle Cart 3 does not have 'dumping' capability. I believe that Atari Max did put out a device that can dump carts, but I don't know the details of it. Kind of reinventing the wheel really as most games except newly written ones have been dumped.

nope. Cant do that with a cc3. And homebrewers arent reusing old boards like some other systems can. (Other system boards you still have to replace the chips though) They have to manufacture completely new boards. There are at least 3 people manufacturing boards for the intellivision

The ROMS come from 3 sources. Original carts are put into a cartridge dumper and the contents dumped. This was done by myself and Scott Nudds for the majority of the dumps out there, including the Exec, GROM and ECS Exec.

The second source is prototype ROMS. A lot of these come from 'T-cards' which are games on standard eproms. There were a number of prototype games found in the archives of INTV as well and eventually found their way on to compilations done by Intellivision Productions

The third source of ROMS is people writing new games. These new games have been placed on NEW hardware. The 'standard' Intellivision cartridge is very different from most other systems like the Atari 2600. You can't simply swap an Eprom on the board and reuse it. All new games come on new circuit boards.

The CC3 and other 'flash carts' simply load and play ROMS that you put on the cartridge (usually through a micro SD card). The Cuttle Cart 3 does not have 'dumping' capability. I believe that Atari Max did put out a device that can dump carts, but I don't know the details of it. Kind of reinventing the wheel really as most games except newly written ones have been dumped.

That was exactly what I was curious about. Thanks for the info. So, I guess some people on here are buying huge lots of carts just for shells. If it's not a trade secret, I'm curious what do people use to put the new ROMs on the new boards?

That was exactly what I was curious about. Thanks for the info. So, I guess some people on here are buying huge lots of carts just for shells. If it's not a trade secret, I'm curious what do people use to put the new ROMs on the new boards?

A new cartridge board is designed and manufactured. There are various methods to load the cartridge with the program. The cartridge I use, uses a 'pic' burner.

You can find information on my Bee3 game cart PCB here and 5-11under's ROM+RAM game cart PCB here.

I guess there are no programmable ROM chips available that are compatible with the old Mattel cartridge circuit boards. They would have to be 10-bit compatible?

I guess there are no programmable ROM chips available that are compatible with the old Mattel cartridge circuit boards. They would have to be 10-bit compatible?

Thats only part of the problem and can be solved with a 16bit flash device. The most significant hurdle is handling the CPU's multiplexed address/data bus and the various bus states. You need several logic chips or a CPLD/FPGA/microcontroller to handle all that.

I've added a few utilities to the current deluxe line-up.

• 9 full and DRM free homebrew games :-
    • Rocketeer
    • Mars Minis
    • Next Street
    • CollectorVision's "Sydney Hunter & The Shrines of Peril"
    • IntellivisionRevolution's "Copter Command" - several versions
    • IntellivisionRevolution's "Missile Domination"
    • Mystery contributor #1 "C.C.V.T.S.G.O.T."
    • Mystery contributor #2 game
    • +1 game (not programmed by me - more details soon)
  • Music demos by Der Luchs and Mystery Musician
  • A graphics demo by nonner242
  • Demos of other games and some utilities :-
    • Pop-Tart
    • Hand controller test utility
    • Hive/Bee3 test utility
  • Like 4