IGNORED

Strange Intellivision problem

I just received an Intellivision model 1 off of ebay and it has a very strange issue. When I tried to play Astrosmash, it only lets me play in the very right hand corner of the screen. Both controllers only let me move so far to the left before hitting an invisible wall. Also, when I put in Major League Baseball, the players will run to the field and then the game will not respond to both controllers. All I get is a beep from the TV when I press the number pad. All other games I got from the lot also played in similarly weird matters. I doubt this is a controller issue since both responded the same way. I cleaned out the insides of the controllers and made sure they were plugged into the system correctly. Any ideas before I send the system back to the seller? Thanks.

Edited by ShadowRydera

Well, there are a few things ...

Could still be the controllers ... try having only one connected at a time.

Next thing might be the sound chip. The controllers are connected to the digital I/o ports on it. Could also be a short between a couple of the pins on the chip. That could be internal (i.e. bad sound chip) or external -- in the controllers, the controller matrix (i.e the guts) or wiring, or gunk on the motherboard.

If you have an Ohmmeter, you could measure between the different pins on the controller connector. Sorry but the pinout map fails to come to mind, though I'm sure we can find it around here somewhere...

Many times, Intellivision controller problems can be dealt with by carefully taking the controller apart, and cleaning all the components with a damp cloth, and putting it back together and screwing it TIGHTLY shut, as pressure keeps the mylar sheet pressed to the controller wires.

You will see when you open it up.

Also, make sure that somene didn't remove the controllers from the motherboard, and reinstall them improperly....reversing the connector on the motherboard is easy and renders the controllers in operable.

yar, that's another one. Those original controllers have their pins arranged linearly and the connections aren't keyed. Nice point, Dragonstomper.

Steve, the Dragonstomper is Games for your Intellivisions forum rank (based on post count).

For example, yours is currently Space Invader.

To see the posters name, look a little higher to the name in the blue bar.

No worries it's a very common thing for new users to the forum..

(Unless you specifically meant to call him by his rank in which case, forget I said anything) :D

Many times, Intellivision controller problems can be dealt with by carefully taking the controller apart, and cleaning all the components with a damp cloth, and putting it back together and screwing it TIGHTLY shut, as pressure keeps the mylar sheet pressed to the controller wires.

You will see when you open it up.

If that doesn't work you can always order these eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1409303749351?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=140930374935&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

• Like 1

Steve, the Dragonstomper is Games for your Intellivisions forum rank (based on post count).

For example, yours is currently Space Invader.

To see the posters name, look a little higher to the name in the blue bar.

No worries it's a very common thing for new users to the forum..

(Unless you specifically meant to call him by his rank in which case, forget I said anything) :D

<blush> Guess I should go fix that.

• 4 weeks later...