IGNORED

Best Jaguar emulation setup

Atarifever

So I sold my Jag a few years ago when getting rid of most of my collection. Of the 2 dozen or so consoles I sold, the only 2 I have regretted are the Jag and the Saturn. Sadly, these are also the two with the most complicated emulation scene. :(

With my time, money, and space constraints, getting a new Jag is out of the question anytime soon. So, I'm wondering what is the best current emulation setup for the Jag.

Here's what I'm wondering:

Ideally, I would like to be able to play most of the games. In the past, I could get most 2D games on an emulator, but not 3D. It's been a few years and I'm wondering if some combination of different Jaguar emulators will allow me to play most games (Project Tempest for some, another for others, etc.).

Also, I'd like the games to look fairly "TV" when I output the video to a TV. Is their an emulator with settings that can be tweaked enough to make the games look at least a little close to how they are supposed to on a TV?

Finally, I will be using a PC Xbox controller at first, so I am hoping this is supported. However, is there anything made to allow an actual Jaguar controller to work on PC? Given the number pad on the Jaguar, and that I would much prefer to be using an actual Jag, I'd really rather use that.

Thanks for any help.

The latest Virtual Jag release and Jagulator both support 3D games some better than others but a good number of them will work, expect graphic glitches.

The last VJ copy I tested didnt work with controller inputs but this might of been added back since its been at least a years .

SSF works really well with most Saturn games. Yabuse is ok but I tend to see more graphical glitches with that one.

Personally I would recommend one of the cheap usb Saturn clone controllers you can get off ebay or amazon for around $10 or less. They work better playing old school games with 3 or 6 face buttons vs the Xbox controller

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BFIPAY/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&tag=atariage&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002BFIPAY&linkCode=as2

This is the one I use on my Ouya and PC when playing older systems. The Xbox controller is awesome for modern games and PSX/PS2 emulators and to a degree Snes but not so much for Jag,Saturn,Pcengine,Genesis etc

As for the Jag on a PC. I do have an one that Visual Designs 3D released back in 1999 that came out around the same time as there Flight controller. If you dont remember them they were the clowns who announced all kinds of promises but never delivered and were working supposedly with Dark Knight Games. However its the old joystick port connection and not USB so it now sits in a box. But it did work great at the time.

Those cheap saturn clones are made with cheap plastic. The d-pad will break in short order. I use a Sega branded saturn pad, but those are unobtanium now. My second recommendation would be a logitech dual action, the game pads on those are actually quite nice.

its the old joystick port connection and not USB so it now sits in a box. But it did work great at the time.
There are some 15-pin joystick port-to-USB adapters for sale, but I don't know if they're compatible with all game pads (they should work fine for standard 4-buttons ones, but may not support anything fancier). Edited by Zerosquare