IGNORED

NooB Programer Guide 101?

Mock

Where would be the best place to start reading up on doing a home brew? I know nothing...zero...nada...about doing anything on an Atari...I have done stuff on Apple 2e's back in the day...from simple stuff to high res....would like to make a simple game just to learn but don't know where to start from ground zero?

TYIA for any guidance...

:D

Mock

Where would be the best place to start reading up on doing a home brew? I know nothing...zero...nada...about doing anything on an Atari...I have done stuff on Apple 2e's back in the day...from simple stuff to high res....would like to make a simple game just to learn but don't know where to start from ground zero?

Question: Do you know any Assembler (especially 650x)? That's the first thing you have to learn. And to try to learn that on the 2600 is IMO making this way tougher than nececessary.

BTW: Search the Programming forum. I'm sure you will find lot of useful info there.

I see I overlooked a similar post in the other forum...sorry about that guys...I'm normally a 'read read read' kinda person before you ask questions. :roll:

Thanks for the links and advice.

I don't want to try, or even think I can just "make a cool game"...I just want to learn the basics and see how it goes from there. Figured I would try a nice easy entry level kinda thing...just move a dot around or something..lol.

Anyway...I guess a lot of people would view it as a waste of time, but I enjoy this kinda thing and sounds like it would be fun.

If anyone wants to adopt a newbie..lol..give me a shout!

Thanks,

Mock

Out of curiosity, how similar is it to 6502 assembler? Back in the day I did some MAC/65 on the 8-bit, and I'm pretty sure I could still read 6502 assembly code (though the last time I ever touched it was back when I worked on Fortress for the XL/XE with Zark Wizard). Given that, how easy would it be to pick up on VCS basics? I mean it's obviously not gonna be easy -- juggling data around in a 128-byte memory frame can't be -- but overall?

Moreover what's a decent cross-assembler to use to generate usable BIN files for use in an emulator?

Sounds DOS-like -- no biggie, but there wouldn't happen to be a halfway decent Win-based compiler/editor would there? And is DASM anything like MASM? I used MASM when I did a little 80x86 assembler in college and it was serviceable. (Though I hated 80x86 assembler. Segmented addressing is demon spawn.)

Where could I find DASM? Commercial? Freeware?