IGNORED

Steam Summer Sale

Oh good. I was wondering when this would start, since I finally have a gaming pc and can jump in on this. I can't get to the page ATM, but I'm certainly hoping for some good stuff.

Maybe some turn-based strategy, space combat sim, or other 'old man' type games.

I knew I should have held off on getting Skyrim. The Legendary Edition is now only 35.99. Antichamber is at a great price, 6.79, and looks really fun from what I've seen. I really should have bought a 1 TB hard drive when I built my rig, game files really add up. Going to vote on Dishonored since it's on my list of games to get.

Rogue Legacy is totally worth $12, especially if you like games with random replayability since all the levels are procedurally generated and change every time you die. That can also be turned off if you agree to give up 40% of your loot every time you find some.

Some recommendations here:

http://kotaku.com/moneysaver-the-best-and-worst-of-the-steam-summer-sale-745180505

• Flash Sale Dragon Age Origins Ultimate ($9) | Buy it

• Flash Sale GRID 2 ($30) | Pass

• Flash Sale Counter-Strike GO ($5) | Buy

• Flash Sale Skyrim Legendary ($36) | Buy

• Battlefield 3 Premium ($17) | Buy | Same price at Amazon with code GOONCAVE if you prefer.

• Saints Row The Third: The Full Package ($15) | Buy

• The Swapper ($11) | Great game, go for it

• Antichamber ($7) | Insta-buy

• Cart Life ($2) | Insta-buy

• Super Hexagon ($1) | Do it

• Thomas Was Alone ($2.50) | Buy

• Hotline Miami ($2.50) | Buy it

• To the Moon ($3) | Buy

• Don't Starve ($9) | Definite buy

• FTL ($5) | Has been $2.50 a lot but is easily worth $5

• VVVVVV ($2.50) | I think this been cheaper a decent number of times, but a good buy at this price

• Bionic Commando: Rearmed ($2.50) | Buy

• The Cave ($4) | Buy

• The Basement Collection ($1) | Buy

• Time Gentlemen, Please + Been There, Dan That (50 cents) | Buy, obviously

• DLC Quest ($1) | Buy

• McPixel ($1) | Buy it, it's a dollar

• Defiance ($14) | Good deal, not a great game, wait

• The Last Remnant ($4) | Buy

• Call of Juarez: Gunslinger ($10) | Buy it

• Left 4 Dead 2 ($5) | Obviously a great game, but this has been bundled many times for cheaper

• Mars: War Logs ($13) | I don't know what this is but it's got a 59/100 on Metacritic

• Toki Tori 2+ ($10) | Get the first game in the Humble Weekly Sale, see if you like it

• Scribblenauts Unlimited is $4.25 on Amazon with code GOONCAVE, currently $5 on the Steam sale.

• Endless Space: Emperor Edition ($10) | Commenters say buy

I've been using the Steam Sales Tracker to sort through these. So far I've mostly been going for low-dollar games with high percentage discounts.

I've gone a bit nuts though:

• Shattered Haven
  • Skydrift
  • Sine Mora
  • Snuggle Truck
  • Miner Wars 2081
  • Wasteland Angel
  • Section 8
  • Mini Motor Racing
  • Star Wolves
  • The Last Remnant
  • DLC Quest

Edited by Reaperman

Damn... The Cave did not have a countdown on it and it showed "SUMMER SALE! Offer ends July 22nd" for $3.49. Usually temporary deals have the countdown. I added it to my cart but I wanted to wait and add some more games before placing my order. Today I went to my cart and now the price has gone up to $7.49. That sucks! Also, they are swamped right now. It took me 3 tries to purchase Faster Than Light and I can't start games. It just sits on "Scanning for Steam game updates." Store navigation is slow and sometimes I get an error screen stating that the store is experiencing high load. I love these Steam sales. They need to get it together so people can actually buy these games.

BTW, they have a lot of games on sale that I would buy but I'm only buying ones that are available for the native Linux Steam. I used to buy some non-native games, if the sale was really good, with the hope that it would be native one day or that it would run well in Wine but I find that I just don't play those games and they waste away in my library masked by the "Linux Games" filter.

Damn... The Cave did not have a countdown on it and it showed "SUMMER SALE! Offer ends July 22nd" for $3.49. Usually temporary deals have the countdown. I added it to my cart but I wanted to wait and add some more games before placing my order. Today I went to my cart and now the price has gone up to $7.49. That sucks!

Was it a 'daily deal'? If so, they usually have all the daily deals again on the last day of the sale.

I missed X-Com for $10. Apparently it was a limited "Sale on the Sale" thing. Damn! :)

You can actually vote for it to be on sale for $10 for the next two hours right now. I bought it before so I voted for Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition for $7.50. I bought Sleeping Dogs and Aliens VS Predator for under $7 each. AvP has a few interesting skin mods on Mod DB and Sleeping Dogs is supposed to look amazing on the PC.

Anyone know of any turn based starship battle games? Not 4X. Just turn based starships fighting each other.

No, never played one. Let me know if you find one, though.

FTL is the closest I've played, but it's realtime/cooldown-based.

Anybody seen any turn-based sci-fi rpgs that I might have missed? I know those are a bit of a rare breed these days, but I can't think why.

Edited by Reaperman

Anyone know if Ys I and II+ is worth it? Missed the flash sale on that as I had to wait for Parallels to update and then Steam to update itself. It's still on sale for 40% off though, and my guess is the PSP version is hard to find.

I am also a bit concerned how well Steam functions under a virtual machine. Depends on the game I guess. Yes... I know there is a Mac version of Steam, but most of what I would want is Windows only.

Anyone know if Ys I and II+ is worth it? Missed the flash sale on that as I had to wait for Parallels to update and then Steam to update itself. It's still on sale for 40% off though, and my guess is the PSP version is hard to find.

I am also a bit concerned how well Steam functions under a virtual machine. Depends on the game I guess. Yes... I know there is a Mac version of Steam, but most of what I would want is Windows only.

Steam is simply a store and game library. It will depend on the individual game as to how well it will run under virtualization. More recent games simply won't run well. If you want to play Windows games on your Mac, install Windows with Bootcamp and boot natively in to it.

I signed up. I haven't been able to find much of anything I want.

Anyone know of any turn based starship battle games? Not 4X. Just turn based starships fighting each other.

No, never played one. Let me know if you find one, though.

FTL is the closest I've played, but it's realtime/cooldown-based.

Anybody seen any turn-based sci-fi rpgs that I might have missed? I know those are a bit of a rare breed these days, but I can't think why.

Let us all know if you find anything.

Checking here reveals a lot but mostly 4X:

http://www.spacesector.com/blog/games/

Although I'm tempted to try Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion a try.

Universe Sandbox is currently 80% off for $1.99

Although I'm tempted to try Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion a try.

I do not have Rebellion yet but I purchased every version of Sins that proceeded it and I love it. It is my favorite strategy game. The only reason I haven't jumped on Rebellion yet is that the the different versions simply expand on each other by adding ship types, technology trees, and other things like that. There isn't enough added in Rebellion for me to go for it until it is below $10.

• Like 1

Steam is simply a store and game library. It will depend on the individual game as to how well it will run under virtualization. More recent games simply won't run well. If you want to play Windows games on your Mac, install Windows with Bootcamp and boot natively in to it.

Yes, I know that. Actually, my setup is with BootCamp running as a virtual machine. I mostly use the windows side for work related items, and for many of those, running under parallels is enough rather than rebooting.