IGNORED

Samsung GXTV Big Deal or Dead weight

I had one..............for about 20 minutes. I just picked it up today at the local Goodwill. This should have been a very happy event for it worked just fine at the store. Of coarse being old and used like this I worry about where it's been and if there might be roaches in it since those filthy things love to do that to TV's. A strong word of caution to anyone that attempts to open one of these things. They are designed extremely stupidly and the back of the CRT is practically touching the top of the case. When attempting to open it I could only get the upper half to come out making me think there were other bolts I had missed on the bottom, other than the ones I had already removed. While trying to maneuver it around and at least get a peek inside I was treated to the horribly disturbing sound of escaping gas. The damn back edge of the CRT and the board attached to it caught on the case and broke. Needless to say I'm quite livid at the moment. :mad: Then I discover all that I needed to do was take off the bass speaker on top and it opens that entire section with no risk of breakage. I was going to do that first but then thought "those bolts can't be holding the case on placed so far back so there's no need to take them out". :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

So that's that. It's scrap. Unless someone wants to give me a replacement CRT it's pretty much worthless. I'm thoroughly disgusted with myself.

post-10357-0-64445000-1380051903_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

the horribly disturbing sound of escaping gas.

Sorry for your loss. Plastic TV's of the 90's are so badly designed :/

But for your info, a TV tube is empty, what you heard was the sound of air filling a vaccuum space.

Edited by CatPix

For retrogaming, I love Franco-German TV of the late 80's early 90's. Telefunken, Grundig, Brandt, Thomson all goes into the same category as they share the same basic chassis, so it's usually the same TVs under different branding and shells.

Reasonable weight, particle wood panels as a chassis, fat speakers, tubes of decent to excellent quality; more or less easily acessible picture tuning (V hold, horizontal and vertical stretching, horizontal centering, etc...) reliable electronics. Wonky power buttons that doesn't hold in place :D Gotta love using matches to secure it on :D And sensitive tuners that make up even with the shittiest Pong consoles.

IMG_20150830_1745591_zpscg0dngdw.jpg

Hi guys,

I have a Samsung GXTV. Had it when it launched and still use it everyday in one of my rooms. Audio is fantastic when I play classic games on this unit. For games that are known for its music, I blast the volume on this bad boy. Samsung's best TV ever made (IMO). Wouldn't give it up for nothing!

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

I have a Samsung GXTV. Had it when it launched and still use it everyday in one of my rooms. Audio is fantastic when I play classic games on this unit. For games that are known for its music, I blast the volume on this bad boy. Samsung's best TV ever made (IMO). Wouldn't give it up for nothing!

Anthony...

Nothing wrong with that! Might pick one up someday. I'm just a sucker for bigger screens tho.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with that! Might pick one up someday. I'm just a sucker for bigger screens tho.

Too bad they didn't make the screen bigger. I personally thought it was excellent with the audio. I also feel that Samsung's specialty is in that department on these old units. My 1997, 25' inch unit is a Samsung that we purchased it new in New Jersey. My HDTV is a Samsung as well.

So yeah, I'm a Samsung man! :-D

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

I recently set mine up as a 16-bit "Play-Station" with a Genesis and Retro Duo connected playing Super Metroid (and with Everdrives on each console - who the hell knew back in the early-mid '90's that you could play almost every SNES or Genesis game on one cart, heh?).

The other pic shows my Atari XEGM and modded ColecoVision attached.

post-4618-0-03460800-1441305776_thumb.jpg

post-4618-0-97351400-1441305828_thumb.jpg

• Like 3