IGNORED

Current device

Asmusr

Mini-Memory only has 4K of the >6000 - >7FFF space available for programs.

I guess you also need a cart with the E/A loader build in, or is that included on the 4A DOS disk?

Does 4A DOS have to run from RAM (and not ROM)?

This site makes it so simple, "Even a Caveman can turn an E/A into an SC"!

Thanks, I thought about that. Even got as far as writing a shopping list for the components <http://atariage.com/forums/topic/213140-building-your-own-carts/#entry2769175> but then I heard about the new 512K cart project and thought I would rather wait and see how that went. I'm also worried about destroying my only E/A cart.

To return to my original question, I tried with Warzone2 as an example of an E/A 5 application. I inserted the disk in DSK1 in Classic 99, placed a breakpoint at >A000 and ran DSK1.WZ2 from E/A option 5. When it reaches the breakpoint the pointers at >8356 and >831C are still there (pointing to >100E and >1000) but there's no trace of the PAB in VDP RAM. Am I breaking the program too late (I noticed that the screen has turned green) or what is going on?

The TI is my hobby, I want to have fun NOW, I do not want to wait around 'for the next best thing'. If the next best thing EVER arrives, I'll look into it and get it then.

My "constructive comment" to this would be, stop waiting for other people and do it yourself. Pretty much every open source software and hardware project was started because someone didn't like what was out there, didn't want to pay a $1000 for a program, or had a need that was not filled. The excuse of "I don't code", or "I don't know electronics", or <insert excuse here>, does not carry any weight. No one knows anything until they learn it. That list of excuses should be a good indicator of how hard it might actually be to do what you are asking for. I didn't know anything about FPGA's or low-level digital design until I started the F18A project. Did it take a long time? Sure. Was it worth it? Absolutely! I had a great time. I wish I could make a living designing and building peripherals for old computers.

If you are not technical like that, then find a way to contribute to a project that you want to see happen. Also remember, no matter how badly anyone wants a new hardware device or software program, the entire market is a handful of people (a hundred if you are lucky). A few hundred or even a thousand dollars is not much compensation for a year or two of hard work and putting a hobby over family.

I guess I've just gotten a little grumpy and cynical in my old age......

We all get grumpy and cynical I suppose.

<snip>

As noted above, please take all of my comments in the friendly-mode. They are just my take on things I've seen--and are not intended to hurt or flame you or anyone. Thank you.

@Ksarul: Thank you for the kind words about the F18A project!

Ksarul summed it up very well and I'll borrow his closing statement.